Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL New unknown soil? Any thoughts

Hello,
    I've just bought new soil from the store, there were few types and I bought most expensive one, seller told me it is some premium supstrat, but I've never seen this brand(It even has chinesee letters in and Im from Europe LoL)
    I am not expert in soils so I took picture of Chart and wanted to ask you guys for opinion soil really looks great, its so soft and has alot of colours inside.
    She (in the store) asked me what I need it for I just said flowers and veggetables xD
    So if anyone can read the Chart and give feedback. Here I dont have much choice we dont have Fox Farms and similar stuff so I have to adjust
    Attached Files

Uploaded pictures from PC so resoultion got screwed up Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210615_145420.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	520464
    Attached Files

Comment

I don't know squat about soils except to avoid wood, bark and added nutrients. I have always made my own with a mixture of top grade nursery soil, composted manure and about 25% previously used soil and a little pearlite. It seems to work well enough without having to purchase specialty soils such as Fox Farms. I have nothing against Fox Farms or any other soils. I just don't believe it to be necessary, especially if you intend to add nutrients as you grow. Most top end clean soils will do well.
      Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
      5 gallon cloth pots
      30"x30"x60" tent
      Spider Farmer SE3000
      Coco Pearlite mix
      GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• Cunjo420
        Cunjo420 commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks alot

It is made of primarily of sphagnum peat moss for propagating seeds and young plants. It'll be a great substrate but will need nutrients for mature plants. I use peat mixed with powdered kelp and perlite for my newly germinated seeds and young clones because it is a very benign medium. It is also the heart of my final potting soil because it holds moisture so well. I mix it with worm castings, organic compost, bat or chicken shit, azomite, coarse sand, perlite, kelp, and in a large container I let it develop for several weeks before using. This particular brand is quite expensive and there are similar products out there that are cheaper but you have a quality medium there. Good luck.

Comment

• OldManGrower
        OldManGrower commented
        Editing a comment
        You sure go to a lot more effort then I do. More power to you! Do you believe it makes a significant difference?

• crucialbunny
        crucialbunny commented
        Editing a comment
        Saves me tons of time in the long run. When you have a living soil you don't have to constantly chase and balance PH. Beneficial bacteria and enzymes that thrive in the soil keep the processes going naturally throughout my grows. Many of those ingredients help immensely in allowing plants to absorb the nutrients and encourage rapid root growth without worrying about lockout or burn. This is my 5th season growing in living soil and it has made things so much simpler. Each season I do a little tweaking to the ingredients trying to improve my outcomes and overall I'd say it's made things simpler and I know exactly what's in my soil. Feed your soil and it will in turn feed your plants.

• Cunjo420
        Cunjo420 commented
        Editing a comment
        hey, thanks alot for feedback. Much appriciated
        I meant using nutrients anyways, I might add some tea coverings in flower but we are far from that

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X