Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    grouchyoldman I'd rather have it at the ready, and a good part of a grow stored in oil 6 months after curing. What happens when fire hits a bud soaked in green dragon then rolled in kief, I wonder? I imagine the etoh would evaporate but you never know what's trapped in the middle, lol. I wish I could tolerate GD tincture.

• grouchyoldman
    commented on 's reply
    @puglover & @ Deadlyfruit, you guys have both got it right in that making a batch of strong QWET, say 20+ mg/ml, is a great target because from there you can store it nearly forever, and it is readily transmutable to everything from putting a little excitement in your morning coffee to baking brownies or taking it down to oil dabs.

I've been experimenting with adding a gram of freeze-dried bubble hash to an ounce of Everclear and having an instantaneous dropper bottle of potent tincture. I have yet to try soaking a bud in GD tincture then rolling it in keif. This is apparently all the rage with our crazy youth.

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    DeadlyFruit Oh, to have two lbs sitting on a shelf, lol. I'd probably QWET a lot of it to store. My chest freezer is downstairs, the jug of EverClear that's been in my fridge-top freezer for probably 9 months takes up a lot of space. If I grew enough I'd QWET and freeze a bunch in hopes of affording etoh recovery eventually. My subzero chances were late night or I wasn't home at the time but I'm sure there's more ahead. I hear ya about left behinds, I'd rather rinse out my empty nug quart jars, then use that EC on the next one, until they're all cleaned and put away for now. That bit of EC would get used for washes. I have too many partial vape cartridges, vape pens that batteries died early but oil remains, o-rings full of oil, syringes with oil ... I might tilt & chill the carts whose tops I can remove and try to pull out the globs of oil, and put all the oily o-rings in a small container in the freezer then shake off all the hardened oil. Not desperation but trying to declutter, and I hate to throw away vape oil.

Decarbing the shake, I was going to use a cookie sheet and a parchment liner but wondered if it would take as long, it's been in the freezer for 9-10 months and went right from drying to freezer because I ran out of jars and lids, no jar curing. I bought some high % Bubba Fett shake that's like powder, never seen such fine shake from the dispo, waste of $. I figured the shake would be harder to filter. Maybe better to just make firecrackers with that Bubba disappointment and ghee or cooking oils with the less-fine shake that I grew.

I haven't made QWET since last year's extremely cold outdoor temps, it would've been perfection had I been prepared to finish it with air or a heating mat. I'm striving to match that batch while finishing it better. I could see half reducing a QWET then pouring it into silicone cupcake liners, stored in a covered container in the freezer until needed in a recipe. If there's heat in the recipe most of the remaining etoh should disappear, or it could be helped along. The half-reduced QWET might be stickier but in silicone in the freezer it shouldn't matter.

(I was just googling something, stumbled onto a Denver dispo menu ... I gotta get growing again!)

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    Hey Puglover1 sorry I am late responding. I’m on the forum less often as I am between grows. Given I have a couple pounds of bud (or more) on my shelf taking up space I thought I should hold off. Thinking my next indoor grow might be carrots while I try to make a dent in my stash 🙂

We haven’t had many days of subzero Fahrenheit here but definitely a lot of subzero Celsius recently. My hands are blistered from shovelling the last dump of snow we just got.

Re your question on the type of oil I used in my gummies - I can’t remember exactly what I’ve done in all of my batches (sometimes I throw in stuff to use it up) but with one batch I used up some oil I made - basically just RSO with a small amount of MCT and a couple drops of lecithin if I remember correctly. These days I mostly just make qwet and distill out most of the ethanol, move the still liquid qwet to my cooking pot and gently heat out the remainder of the ethanol with no carrier oil added and immediately cook the gummy mix in the same pot. I find it the easiest way to do it with the least amount of waste. I sometimes still add a couple drops of lecithin to help it all stay together but it isn’t completely necessary if you have your recipe dialled in.

Sounds like an idea to have some ethanol pre measured in smaller amounts to help it chill. I have a chest freezer so I just leave my bottle in there all the time so it isn’t a concern for me. After distilling it out of the qwet I put the ethanol in a mason jar and store that back in the freezer as well so it is always ready to go. I tend to use trim (often with some high cbd bud added) when I make qwet so I find I need larger amounts of ethanol than others might. I store the unreduced qwet in mason jars back in the freezer. If I could do it with less alcohol using the smaller containers would definitely save space.

With decarbing trim I just treat it like chopped up bud. I cure it like bud and store it in jars for a period. When I am ready I put the sealed mason jars in the oven to decarb and store those in the freezer after they cool. Sometimes I will instead put it on foil on a cookie sheet and cover it with foil if I have a lot, mainly to keep down the smell. I treat my popcorn like trim with no special steps beyond chopping it a bit. The only special advice for fine trim is that it will require more effort filtering, otherwise it will decarb in the same way. I do find that some of the icky sticky stays on the glass of the mason jar or stuck to the foil - in my head this is probably melted kief. When I use jars I will sometimes shake up some fresh ethanol in the jar I did my decarb and wash in to be sure I am not leaving anything behind, but perhaps I am just being overly retentive.

• Puglover1
    replied
    DeadlyFruit I was searching and re-reading. We may have subzero temps again in a week or so. I kind of like his idea, instead of the thick, sticky syringes of oil. "During my trials and tribulations of trying to get a decent pure cannabis oil (with nothing else added) I started doing something that I think would be more efficient for edible makers. Rather than making oil, sucking it into a syringe and then keeping that until you cook something I now make the QWET and keep that. When I am ready to cook I recover much of the ethanol but not quite all (to keep it easy to work with) and pour the remaining liquid into the pot/pan I am cooking in and do the final reduction to pure oil there. When it is done I just cook whatever I am cooking right in that same pot. Given I suck at making oil this takes away all of the guesswork and it is also more efficient because you don’t have the loss from trying to get all of the oil from the pan into the syringe and then the syringe into the next pan. There is also no ethanol or other oil to worry about. I made two killer batches of gummies last week this way that turned out really great." - What kind of oil did you use for those gummies?

Hey, I have the bottom of a big bag of trim from a year ago in the freezer, it was dried then frozen (with some popcorn that's already been used for butter, ran out of jars). It's rather fine, like dispo shake, do you have any tweaks for decarbing shake? I'm trying to empty my freezer somewhat, plan to use empty glass dispo jars from 1/8ths to measure out 3-4 ounces of EverClear for QWET. Less volume might get colder, faster, and that'd be one step done ahead of time, ready to pour. Those jars would be nice for storing un-reduced QWET.

Leave a comment:

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    DeadlyFruit I just saw your q, it may have been since answered. pYur is hemp oil based, I just went into the kitchen to look at the bottle but I did 2 dabs and weighed my pitiful autos' dry weights. Forgot the pyur. Next time. Soon.

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    Puglover1 if you come across a good gummy recipe let me know. The two I tried were pretty good but always happy to learn some new tricks. If you want links to the recipe I followed and the mix I used for the second batch let me know. I should have mentioned my 86 year old mother who had never in her life tried cannabis asked to try my gummies. I gave her a tiny piece before bed and she said it made her sleep like a baby. She asked me to leave her with a few doses. If you’d ever met my mother you would know that her to trying cannabis goes in the win column.

My gummies are indeed pretty big. They are weed leaf molds I found on Amazon and they can contain gummies that weigh about 6-10 grams depending on how full you fill it. I figure my dose to get some effect but stay relatively functional is about 18mg but that is mostly based on the calculations I showed so they may not be accurate. I may be underestimating my tolerance lately. I will have to pickup some RSO from the dispo where the thc has been lab tested and try myself again to see how accurate my calculations seem.

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    DeadlyFruit Last year a gal used my kitchen to make gummies for herself and her disabled daughter, she bought 2 syringes of dispo RSO - THC & CBD strains. They worked for me. I still have all of her molds and such here, all I need is the oil. I can live w/o lecithin for now, I have Knox, Jello and I might make some condensed Kool-Aid to match the Jello's flavor. With dispensary edibles it takes 75-100 mg for me, I didn't realize you made Big gummies. She has small bear molds, leaf molds and one other, so 2 or 3 different sizes. Dispo was selling nice strain-specific cartridges of FSHO but I haven't seen any lately. Might have to buy some ice and finish off that once-washed jar of good bud in my freezer. I don't want to wait for sub-zero outdoor temps to arrive. Thanks.

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    Puglover1 I have a general ‘sense’ of how strong they should be but given I am using trim and popcorn there is a lot of guesswork involved. Also, since my oil making skills are a bit weak (but improving lately!) there is sometimes more waste than might be normal for others (this also is improving!). This all changes the calculation and without a handy lab it is hard to know (really wish we could just bring samples to a local lab for a reasonable price). From the top of my head I used the assumptions that 33g of trim and popcorn to be about 5-10% (call it 8% as the trim was high quality and mixed with a good portion of popcorn), my extraction to be about 80% efficient and the gummy cooking to again be 80% efficient (20% waste). These could be wrong but hopefully in the ballpark. With those assumptions, 33g = 33,000 mg. At 8% strength that becomes 2,640mg of thc. With an 80% efficiency on the extraction that reduces to 2,112mg and with 80% efficiency in the cooking step that reduces again to 1,690mg. Divide that into 30 gummies for a total of 56mg thc in each. One third of a gummy is 19mg thc. That amount is a definite buzz but still functional. That batch gave me 90 buzzed but functional doses.

With all that said, yep that first taste of a new batch is always a bit of an adventure 🙂. As for portioning one gummy, I just take a knife to it and weigh the portion. The mold is pretty large so I am not surprised. I am with you on the sweet tooth - one reason for making them weaker is so I can eat more!

I made two different batches, using a store bought gummy mix intended for cannabis for one and the GWE recipe for the other. One turned out extremely firm (stale gummy texture) while the other was closer to a fresh store bought gummy. I added a few drops of lecithin to the GWE recipe which is probably what made it so firm. I should have just followed the recipe more closely (and cooked it for less time and with less stirring).
    Last edited by DeadlyFruit; 08-01-2021, 09:19 PM. Reason: Corrected final calculation to 19mg for third of a gummy

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, @PeterMatanzas

DeadlyFruit So you have no idea of your gummies' strength until you try one? I like that. When I finished reducing and syringed up I used store-bought gummies, rubbed them all over to clean out the pan's remnants. But once I threw up big pat of butter in the pan to clean it and wow was it strong. How do you just eat 1/3 of a gummy? I'd probably throw it in a capsule or the taste would make me want more - sweet tooth here.

• PeterMatanzas
    commented on 's reply
    Puglover1 yes, and DeadlyFruit is right, any oil is a carrier. I use sesame oil a lot.

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    I’m sure Peter will know more but just to contribute, I know you can use hemp or any other type of oil to be a carrier. I have some grey market oil in my cupboard that uses hemp oil as a carrier. As to whether it will harm the recipe, I think that has more to do with the recipe - if the recipe contains an oil (or the final product wouldn’t be harmed by an oil) you can just swap out some of the regular/vegetable oil for cannabis/hemp oil (it is probably such a small amount that it isn’t likely to harm things but check the recipe).

During my trials and tribulations of trying to get a decent pure cannabis oil (with nothing else added) I started doing something that I think would be more efficient for edible makers. Rather than making oil, sucking it into a syringe and then keeping that until you cook something I now make the QWET and keep that. When I am ready to cook I recover much of the ethanol but not quite all (to keep it easy to work with) and pour the remaining liquid into the pot/pan I am cooking in and do the final reduction to pure oil there. When it is done I just cook whatever I am cooking right in that same pot. Given I suck at making oil this takes away all of the guesswork and it is also more efficient because you don’t have the loss from trying to get all of the oil from the pan into the syringe and then the syringe into the next pan. There is also no ethanol or other oil to worry about. I made two killer batches of gummies last week this way that turned out really great. I actually have to dial back how much I put in because at the strength I made I can only take about 1/3 of a gummy at a time.

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    PeterMatanzas Can cold pressed hemp oil be used as a carrier for edibles? I bought some to try on a senior rescue pug, it's sitting in my fridge. My pancreas can't handle etoh tincture, I'd like an oil that I can use in any edible recipe. I wouldn't think a bit of canna hemp oil would alter fudge or brownies, or spaghetti sauce, etc ?

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    bmeuptoo yes you can for sure directly decarb bud that wasn’t dried/cured (some people do it because they believe it to be a more ‘full spectrum/live plant type product). I personally would suggest drying/curing your bud trim/shake. I generally make edibles so harsh smoke isn’t a big thing for me but you can greatly improve the taste of your edibles if you go through the full process of dry/cure, decarb and then extract your cannabinoids with a freezer QWET. If you are making butter then it may be less practical to do an extra step with a QWET instead of just boiling it in butter but it would help make for a less ‘green’ product (less chlorophyll, plant lipids and generally a better colour). With that said I go the easy route with butter because I’m the only one using it in my house 🙂

In short, yes you can but I suggest you don’t, even for edibles.

EDIT it may take slightly longer to decarb fresh bud because of the higher water content (my assumption is the higher moisture will keep the plant material from coming up to full temperature until most of the moisture is gone due to it constantly evaporating, acting in the same way as a swamp cooler)
    Last edited by DeadlyFruit; 07-31-2021, 11:56 PM.

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    OMG three ounces?? I think I'd be trying to recapture and clean it somehow.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X