Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bmeuptoo
    commented on 's reply
    Hi, I have a newbie question related to decarbing. Will it work with "fresh" bud or shake, not dried. I don't care about the harshness, I'm going to try making tincture or oil. Thanks

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    Use etoh to clean the syringes? I think a Pyrex pie plate, something more shallow, is what I'd use here. You can just put the oil in the center of the pan. One time I made firecrackers with ABV, my scale batts must've needed changing. Walking down the hallway to the bedroom at 3 a.m. was pretty trippy.

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    I decarbed about 66 grams of mixed trim and popcorn bud but I only used half of it because I wanted to see how it would turn out - this volume is from just 33 grams. Now that I think I can actually produce something usable I won’t wait so long before trying it again. Maybe I’ll do another run of oil this weekend when I make some cannabudder (I have piles of trim and ABV to use up). I have some larger syringes around but I couldn’t find them (I hate knowing I have something but not knowing where!) so I had to use the 1ml syringes. I am going to try to dishwash them when I am done and re-use them. I started out with a bigger Pyrex loaf pan but decided there might be less waste if it was in a smaller bowl. You should definitely run your leftovers through a second wash - I haven’t sampled the second wash yet for strength and taste but there was definitely extract there to work with.

Last night I tried the golden wash tincture. I used .5ml. I think it started kicking in around 20 or 30 minutes, so it was pretty quick onset. It was a gradual build from there but it eventually steamrolled me. I was at the point where I knew if I didn’t get into bed and go to sleep I would have to explain to everyone here that I was high AF. Seriously, I was absolutely blotto. Next time I am dialling back to .25ml. It was a fun trip but I wasn’t looking forward to explaining I was high to the point of being non-functional 🙂. I’m pretty sure I had an actual hangover this morning.

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    Color in the syringe looks decent. You need some 25ml syringes me thinks. When you said Pyrex I thought you meant a small baking dish, not a little bowl. That's from two oz's? Decent capture. From all of my oil reading and research many said to put heat underneath while using the fan. Now I wanna get a bag of ice and try my leftover-for-a-second-wash jar from the freezer. But I have seeds to start first. Did you sample the green or the gold batch last night? How long until it kicked in? It's kind of late for me to make a firecracker. Glad you had success!!

• DeadlyFruit
    replied

The two washes after evaporating under a fan and then warming them to increase liquidity
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5BA22F7F-E3F5-4517-93B5-C66D6D49F803.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	525206
    One of the washes after adding alcohol

Name:	EEFBDE1D-6A9B-41EA-BA9E-E44F9038BD3D.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	525207
    The second wash after adding vegetable oil (first wash empty in background) - the larger clumps are visible

Name:	57C9DEBD-074B-4F43-9DB9-77057939212F.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	525208
    The syringes of tincture

Name:	BDF89514-C4EC-4F62-A835-FCD9E6E5BC15.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	525205
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    Hi PeterMatanzas Entirely possible it is plant matter, although I get the sense there is a good bit of thc mixed in with the dark sticky goo.

A description of the process I followed:

1 - I decarbed a mix of trim and popcorn bud in closed mason jars I think it was 40 mins at 240. After that I let the jars cool and squashed up the plant matter a little - that may be a place I can improve because some of it crumbled and created almost a powder that was probably hard to filter. I sealed the jars up and put them in my freezer for a couple days.
    2 - I bought 76% ethanol (the strongest we can get here) and used my distiller a couple times to bring it up to about 88-90% alcohol. I put the alcohol in the freezer as well.
    3 - Once everything was in the freezer for a couple days I poured enough alcohol to cover the plant material, gave it some gentle shaking and put it in the freezer for 2 hours to sit. I filtered out the alcohol and that was my first ‘golden’ wash.
    4 - I added more cold alcohol to the plant matter and let that sit for 24 hours for my second ‘green’ wash.
    5 - I filtered both washes separately for a second time using a 120 bubble bag to get a little sediment that was on the bottom. There may have been a tiny bit of sediment still after that but not much.
    6 - using the golden wash I put it into my distiller and distilled it, recovering the alcohol, until I thought it should still be liquidy but with a bit of alcohol left. Unfortunately it had gone farther than I realized and had just started to form that milky liquid. And some clotting/curdling of the dark sticky bits.
    7 - Thinking I should try to rescue the situation I took the golden wash from the distiller and put it in one Pyrex dish and the green wash that I hadn’t tried distilling yet I put in a second Pyrex dish. I put a fan on both and covered them with a screen to keep out dirt.
    8 - Both washes evaporated down to the point where I thought I had a shatter like residue on the Pyrex that I would have to scrape off (that is happened the last time I tried making it) but I realized both dishes just had an extremely thick sticky residue that was still slightly liquid. I heated up the dishes to make it more liquidy (didn’t completely liquify) and added a little vegetable oil to one and a little alcohol to the other and stirred them both. They both went into solution but with some dark sticky clumps (larger clumps in the oil and very fine clumps in the alcohol). I sucked it all up into 1ml syringes, avoiding the large clumps. There was some left over oil mixture (I ran out of syringes) with the larger sticky clumps that wouldn’t completely mix in so I decided to experiment and also added a bit of alcohol to it and that allowed even the sticky stuff to mix into solution. I think next time I am going to mix a little of both oil and alcohol into the resulting mixture to see if I can get it into full solution (while trying to keep the ratio low so it doesn’t get too weak).

Thanks so much for the pictures, it is good to be able to visualize what other people are seeing. I will post a few pics of my stuff in progress.

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks grouchy. I actually tried the tincture last night. I wasn’t sure how much I wanted to try as a first sample so I used a half ml…. Holy smokes that was potent stuff, I was well on my way to green-out territory when I decided sleep was probably a good option. Next time I will cut my dose back at least by half to .25ml. Brilliant stuff!

• PeterMatanzas
    replied
    I don't use carts so I'm not much help here. I'll take a chance and say those "clumps" are plant matter that didn't get filtered out. When you're creating the wash - what's your setup? How do you prepare the cannabis and prepare the alcohol before the wash?

Picture 1 is oil that's been sitting around for a couple months, the ethanol has evaporated so it's like glue. If I want it less viscous, that container can be moved to the warming pad on the stove (pictured) and heated at a low temperature. The warming temp will cause the glue like substance to melt down. Then I mix 1:1 of MCT oil in the warmed cannabis oil, add a drop of lecithin. The output is actually an infusion, not a tincture - the infused MCT oil is loaded into capsules (edibles).

When the oil comes out of the distiller it still has enough ethanol in it that I can pour it into the silicon cupcake baking liner. That cupcake liner (food grade silicon) is moved to the warming pad on the stove.

Name:	Budder.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	525110Click image for larger version

Name:	WarmAndServe.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	525112Click image for larger version

Name:	mct.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	525113Click image for larger version

Name:	Cupcake.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	525111

Leave a comment:

• grouchyoldman
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for sharing your extraction journey with us DeadlyFruit. I've never concentrated all the way down to oil so your efforts have been very instructive. Despite the wrinkles it sounds like you've produced a potent tincture.

Your "Good, Bad & Ugly" summary made me smile, but I think you left out "The Sublime," that full body relaxation you'll feel when your homemade medicine goes to work!

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    Some last thoughts for Puglover1 grouchyoldman and PeterMatanzas and then I will try to let it go 🙂

Once I realized I had a super thick oil rather than a hardened shatter-like residue (like last time) I decided I might be able to salvage the situation.

The Good: I added about a capful of alcohol to one Pyrex dish and about the same of canola oil to the other. I mixed them well and sucked them into 1ml syringes. Holy smokes I think I have about 10ml of oil and 10ml of tincture (the oil mix looks nicer than the alcohol mix)

The Bad: The dish with the oil mix (the greener second wash) had a couple larger size clumps of sticky dark stuff that didn’t want to mix into the oil. Since they were larger I could work around them and suck clump free oil into the syringes. The other dish (the golden first wash) had much smaller gritty looking clumps that didn’t want to completely mix into the alcohol so I had to suck them into the syringes in the tincture. They are fine enough that if you don’t look close it just looks cloudy. I am hoping it will go into solution over time. I ran out of syringes and still had some of the oil mixture with black clumpy stuff left so I decided to experiment by putting a half capful of ethanol in it as well as the canola and gave it a stir - the clumps went completely into solution, which didn’t happen with either just canola or just ethanol added. Maybe some possibilities there.

The Ugly: To be honest there is nothing ugly to report. I am ecstatic I was able to finally produce something close to an oil. I wish it were more of a clear high quality oil but this will do for now. I am looking forward to trying out the tincture sublingually, and I will probably use the oil in edibles. I think I could improve on it next time with stronger ethanol in the wash and not trying to purge so much ethanol with the distiller - it won’t heat up quite as much and I can finish it manually. Since I can’t get stronger ethanol I will recover about two thirds in the distiller and then under a fan with regular stirring to try for less clumping. I think the clumping may be plant lipids and other by-products rather than cannabinoids so it may not be a concern beyond how it looks but I would love it if it looked nice. Perhaps next time I will add a little of each.

Thanks so much for all your help as I tried to figure this out. If you have any final thoughts feel free to add.

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks pug, you’re the best!

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    I was going to say that concentrates change overnight, or in a week. I've had my nephew get me (cheaper) street wax and I put it right in the cupboard for a week, at least. It gets darker usually, changes sheen, loses some moisture. I'd heat it if necessary to scrape it, or rather chill it so it comes off easily, and if you're using oil after collecting it really needs stirring. But then you can do most anything with it. GL!

• DeadlyFruit
    replied
    Not to obsess on it too much, and for all those who haven’t gotten bored with my woes and moved on….

I took a close look at the little Pyrex dishes today and realized that it is not actually a hard residue (that happened a previous time) it is more of a super thick gel. This gives me some hope in that it is still an oil rather than shatter and it also looks more homogeneous than it did when it was actively being evaporated. I ordered a razor scraper and when it comes tomorrow I think I will add a few drops of alcohol and/or oil to loosen it and then scrape it into a dropper jar where I can top it to the desired level with oil or alcohol (still haven’t decided which). I can shake/swirl it until it is all in solution. I don’t want to count my chickens but getting something that looks remotely like it is supposed to Would be a great step forward.

Leave a comment:

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks puglover, really appreciate your input. I feel like I have a mental block on the subject but ultimately I think the largest problem is my ethanol is still not strong enough and that is making my purge act unpredictability. You are at 95% while I might get to barely 90% if I distill it a couple times first. It may not sound like a big difference but it is enough extra water that it causes a problem.

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    My pancreas can't handle alcohol, even one ml of tincture got to me. I use EverClear, 190 proof? The strongest EverClear is sold here in IL. I have only done the double boiler reduction, it ends up darker-looking like RSO but I did vape it. I stopped reducing while I could still pull it up into a syringe, never had curdles happen. I've done several washes, practiced on lesser quality bud. During my very cold extremely fast wash in February, halfway through reduction it was a beautiful yellow oil but I didn't have the pan, hot water, Pyrex and silpat ready to pour it into. Sad. That's why I still have a jar in the freezer with that same material waiting for a 2nd wash bc it was such a fast first wash, using some of my best buds. Melted wax Might stay liquid enough if your carrier oil is warm. Wax thinner uses such a small amount that it hardly adds to the volume or reduces the potency. When reintroducing concentrate into oil you need to whisk it a lot, add a little at a time until you get it all well incorporated. I've never shaken it, just stirred.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X