What really causes Purple in plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What really causes Purple in plants

Howdy folks. I grow outdoors, and I have been selectively "breeding" my plants over many years, to produce the traits I desire. Mainly I'm going for purple with indica dominant traits/qualities, while trying to minimize (breed out) the sativa influence. Often I hear on the site, that nutrient deficiencies, stress or what not, create the purple. If my plants are getting the exact same soil, nutrients and conditions, are the purple characteristics that are showing in some, indicative that I'm on the right track to achieving something like purple indica? I am consistently producing seeds that give rise to plants that show purple from the early stages on through flowering. to note, all my seeds originally came from my pals from when I lived up in Humboldt from 1980 - 1996, and were from the popular named strains (GSC, Trainwreck, Headband, Ooey Gooey, etc., along with some original Afghani, Mazar-i-Sharif and stuff from the early 80's pre clinic if you know what I mean). Of course I've always taken my best male each year and used his pollen to fertilize, so I have absolutely no idea what my plants really are named. I create my own names for each female and save her seeds (i.e. Frosty Girl, Early Girl, Nasty Girl, Purple Girl etc.) Each year I start with ripe seeds from my collection and see what turns out. I regularly end up with a somewhat diverse batch of gals and dudes (no hermies allowed!). Here is my current group. They aren't huge, but they're doing pretty nice for this time of year. I topped these instead of training the main stalks like I usually do. No Christmas trees this time.

Would these be showing purple due to any deficiencies or through my breeding? Dang,the smell of em is awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Purp 2.png
Views:	225
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	517049Click image for larger version

Name:	Purp 1.png
Views:	224
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	517042Click image for larger version

Name:	Purps 5.png
Views:	231
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	517043Click image for larger version

Name:	Purps 3.png
Views:	219
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	517044Click image for larger version

Name:	Purps 2.png
Views:	224
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	517045Click image for larger version

Name:	Purps 4.png
Views:	232
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	517046Click image for larger version

Name:	Purps 6.png
Views:	237
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	517047Click image for larger version

Name:	Purps 1.png
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	517048Click image for larger version

Name:	Purp 2.png
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	517050
    Attached Files
    Tie Your Mother Down! (Queen)

I found that when my temp drops to 55-60 degrees late in flowering it turns the leaves purple. I grow mainly Hybrids so I don't know if it is Sativa or Indica dominate.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      My glues do, GSC do an some of my kushies

Don't know what makes it other than genetics, but purples generally aren't a favorite of mine to consume. Effects are really light on me for the ones I've tried. Probably just got bunk from the dispo, but not a fan overall. They do look really pretty though
    Learned a lot this year. pH and whiteflies are issues that need controlling. Maybe an auto over January.....hmmmm...

Comment

I’ve always been under the impression that it is one part genetics and one part temperature shifts to colder nights. Clearly if the genetics are stronger it can go purple earlier but generally speaking it happens during flowering when the nights are cool. I have no scientific evidence to back this up, it is just what I read and then observed. All the really purple plants that I’ve had followed this logic and were grown outdoors so arguably it could be something else in the outdoor environment but I am still leaning towards cooler nights during flowering for plants with purple leaning genetics. If you discover anything that says different I would be very happy to learn. Great looking plants by the way!

Comment

I think that genetics can play a major role in expressing 'purps'.
        I have a pheno of Primal Punch that throws purple veins on the stems, even in veg.
        None of the other pheno's exhibit that trait.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Yep, I've seen side-by-side grow logs that produced intensely purple colors when plants were exposed to lowered temps during flowering. I just tried this on a White Widow plant grown indoors and the results were impressive: witness "The Purple Widow!"

My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
          I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
          Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

I was reading about temps on a post and came across this-

Learn exactly how to maintain the rigth temperature for your indoor cannabis grow room.

Name:	bonus.PNG
Views:	164
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	517127
            FLOWERING:
            Nova 48"x48"x80" tent
            Mother Earth Groundswell Soil
            Vivosun 4" Carbon Filter
            GH Flora Trio
            EnjoYield 1000W LED Grow Light 3x3ft with Timer Dimmable
            Current Grow: GC-Critical Purple Auto x2, ILGM- AH x2, NL x1

Comment

Yes indeed it happens and is a lovely effect.
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

If Mag Landrace seeds ever become available you should try it. It's a purple indica.
                Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
                Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
                Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
                Various size fabric grow bags
                Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
                4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
                Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

Thanks everybody. Since I started these outdoors in a makeshift light enclosure in early winter (see pics), I was thinking the cold weather could've helped them to show purple. Why some plants growing in the exact same conditions didn't show purple, has me leaning towards genetics as confirmation of my breeding for this trait. Since the Hindu Kush mountain range has hot days and very cold nights, I would think that my indica dominant plants would respond to these similar conditions where I live. We can have super hot days and huge temp drops at night. I have some new starts that are behaving the same way. Some are showing purple and some aren't. All are healthy and growing well. I'll get pics of them soon enough. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks again!

Name:	New Grow 7.png
Views:	144
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	517716

Name:	New Grow 9.png
Views:	137
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	517715

Name:	New Grow 12.png
Views:	161
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	517714
                  Tie Your Mother Down! (Queen)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X