Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vivosun oscillating fan brought back from the dead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vivosun oscillating fan brought back from the dead!

I had a Vivosun oscillating two speed clip fan die on me during Project Psychonaut. I swapped for a spare Hurricane to finish the grow. I just replaced the straight Hurricane with a Secret Jardin oscillating fan (which I think has the better design) to begin Project Murcott right and was about to toss the dead Vivosun when I decided that since the stupid thing was only about six months old, I'd crack it open first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	651.1 KB
ID:	516635

The fan only worked when facing forward. When it turned to either side, it would stop dead. I could reposition it and it would run again as long as the oscillation was turned off. I checked for crusty contacts and didn't see any. I did see a bunch of GTH pollen built up inside that I cleaned out. The picture shows what happened. I pulled the cord up from the neck. You can see where the wire was pulled in two from all the back and forth and from not having enough slack. I pulled more slack and slid the knot down and used a wire nut to put the wire back together. I now have a spare oscillating fan!
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Always pays to take things apart I think, even if they aren’t broken take that shit apart see what makes it tick lol. My wife says that’s why we don’t have nice things.

Comment

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      My mom always used to tell me I should be an engineer. I was always taking things apart as a kid, just to see how it worked. Obviously I didn't know much then about electricity and the components making the devices run properly, but it was still fun to experiment and look at everything. I think that's part of why I can be handy at times and try to fix things on my own now that I'm older. Also, repair people cost too much lol

I did that with a TV once. I had a 55" Vizio smart TV go out on me after a couple years. I almost trashed it but I decided to do a little research first. I could see it had power but just wouldn't do anything except turn this little light on for a second when I plugged it in and then it would fade away. I ended up finding out that it was a pretty common problem with that model and that usually it was just a circuit board that had a little fuse that tends to blow. After trying to find the fuse locally and coming up with nothing I decided to go online. After looking over multiple sites for the diode I needed (or thought I needed) I got a little overwhelmed. I decided to try a different approach and checked the price on the entire circuit board and found out it was like $30-40. I figured why not, then I don't have to try and replace tiny pieces. And I probably would have ended up frying the original board anyway because I really haven't had any practice with it, even though I learned how years ago. So I got the correct board and went to town on the TV. A few pesky little ribbon cables (the little plastic ones that are easy to bend or break if you're not careful), some clip in wires and a few screws later and I was back in business. Plugged it in and it started right up and still works to this day, that was a few years ago that I fixed it. Needless to say I had bought another 55" TV in the meantime but it wasn't a smart TV. Imagine if I had trashed it, I would only have had one TV and had to buy another for my room. Saved myself a few hundred dollars doing that.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X