Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeds at 6th week flowering..HELP needed please

Hey everyone.

I have just realized that one of my plants has started producing seeds into the 6th week of flowering, just my luck. I have found 5 so far and a couple seemed to be nearly mature by the look of it. Is this going to be bad for my other plants? Should I take the plant out of tent, and maybe pull her now? I'm just waiting for a friend to come help me pull the plant out to have a good look. Will post pics then, that plant is under HPS light. Cheers
    3rd indoor grow in 15 years.

2 x Wedding Cake(New420guy)
    2 x Grandoggy Jones(Connoisseur Genetics)
    6ft x 6ft BudBox Pro White
    4 x 37litre(10 Gallon) Bucket Company pots
    Professor's Nutrients 70% Coco 30% Perlite
    3 x ES 300's (2 x V2, 1 x V3)
    Professor's Nutrients feeding program(slightly modified)
    ISO-Max 200 exhaust fan with filter

Here is a pic of a couple that I haven't picked yet..will get better pics once I can get the plant out.
    Attached Files

Comment

If you already have seeds then I'd say the damage has already been done. My opinion, just grow them out, smoke the buds and collect the seeds. They will be feminized already and who knows, you may even get an amazing cross out of it if you have multiple strains going (White Gelato sounds pretty good). I got excited to find a Lemon Cookies seed the other day, since I already cut down my last plant and had no more seeds. Only a grower will find joy in getting good bud with a few seeds in it, you'll see.

Comment

• dphipps1020
        dphipps1020 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you don't see any on the others then it may have missed them or there's very few seeds in them. I always keep my seeds. I have one or 2 strains that like to herm in the first few weeks of flower. If I catch them in time I can usually get rid of the pollen sacs before they pollinate anything, and they don't usually grow back. I would definitely keep them, who doesn't like feminized seeds for free? And like I said, as a bonus you may get an awesome cross of the 2. Either way, you should end up with a few of one strain, a few of the other, and a few crossed. It's not the greatest news, but there's a little positivity in it at least.

• newbutoldgrower75
        newbutoldgrower75 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a very thorough look over the other plants and haven't yet found a seed on them..yet. I have only find another 3 seeds on the one I found the seeds on(White Widow), probably pinched 4-5 out yesterday, cant exactly remember after my little anxiety episode haha. I had some banana's pop up towards the end of my last grow which I plucked as they came up, didn't get one seed from the 3 plants. I will definitely be doing a more thorough inspection of the plants from here on, without the HPS lights on. To tell you the truth, I'm definitely going to enjoy having some extra seeds, its not easy getting good seeds in Australia at the moment, we need more breeders out this way. These seeds were from Seedsman, but they are not guaranteeing delivery to Australia anymore. Plus they took 3 months to get here. It would be interesting if I do get a cross with the Gelato OG and White Widow, White Gelato does sound quite nice. So if the White Widow pollinates the Gelato OG, would I more more likely to get the crossed seeds from the Gelato OG? Still learning here lol. Its not the worst news now that I know what I know, I appreciate you commenting when you did and saving the plant, thank you.

• dphipps1020
        dphipps1020 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd leave the seeds until you smoke the buds, to make sure they're all good and useable. Just my personal preference, I never end up with immature seeds that way. Not sure how the genetic thing works but I know you'll have mainly 3 distinct plants. One will lean mostly toward the Gelat.OG, one more toward the White Widow, and then you'll have the in between the White Gelato. Only way to find out is to grow them though. I had some Blueberry Headband cross with some Gorilla Glue and that came out phenomenal. Hopefully you get similar results!

The plant I found the seeds on... Could be its memorial photos..something to remember her by
      Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a shock when you see it gawwd we all will experience it hopefully rarely. Yep let her grow onward and keep the good dark ones with stripes. Have fun now your gonna be a new poppa LOL

• newbutoldgrower75
        Editing a comment
        It was a big shock SoOrbudgal, one that I hope I don't experience very often, unless I get into breeding. Will definitely be keeping the good ones, just hoping for not too many haha. And its funny that you mention about me being a new poppa, got some interesting news from a woman that I was seeing after my divorce last year. Looks like I could be a new poppa in more than one way, only found out last night.

So after having a couple of puffs and settling down for a minute(bloody anxiety), then going back over what dphipps1020 replied, I'm going to put her back in the tent with the others and try and finish them off. Sorry for the anxiety episode everyone, its been a tough few months. Cheers.

Comment

• LemonBud
        LemonBud commented
        Editing a comment
        Grow them out you have one with seeds and the plant will probably be great. I had the same problem and I pulled out and harvested befor the seeds fully matured. But the buds were good and smokable. I keep throwing a few seeds to see if they pop. have 4 plants now just testing if the seeds are good. Have fun.

• newbutoldgrower75
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the advice LemonBud .. definitely going to keep the plant now that the initial shock is over and had time to think about it. The buds still really nice and looking forward to trying them in about 6 to 7 weeks time. The seeds are quite mature at the moment, so hoping they will be perfect by harvest in about 3 to 4 weeks. Cheers

If the seed has color to it, not just a soft white shell, it is about 4 weeks old (4-6 weeks to make a ripe seed).
      Genetics can play a roll, but you wont know how much until you grow them seeds out.
      Good luck!

Comment

Rwise Thanks for that bit of information buddy, very useful to know. The seeds that I picked out were the size of mature seeds and were starting to change color, definitely not just a soft white shell. I was thinking this morning if the plant going to seed might be more of a genetics thing, was trying to work out how/why it happened. So if it is genetics, will that mean the hermie gene will be passed on to the new seeds? I remember reading something similar to that a few times while doing research over the last 18 months. Or are my meds playing tricks with my mind haha.

Comment

• dphipps1020
          dphipps1020 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a possibility, just no way to tell until you get there unfortunately.

The chance of these seed producing more hemies is great, however as stated you wont know until you grow some out. Last hermie seed I did, 100% hermied, I tossed all seed that came from them at that point.

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
          Editing a comment
          Thanks buddy for your advice, it has helped me make up my mind on what to do next. I will be putting all my clones I have growing in the bin, which is not an easy thing for me to do but I don't want to risk growing plants with bad genetics. My friend who I went halves in the seeds with is having the same problem, all plants have seeded. I now have identified 3 plants with seeds, and between the both of us we are looking at losing 5 to 6lb unfortunately. I wont be trying the seeds out that I get from these plants until I have an extra tent to test them in, about 12 months away. Thanks again mate for your help and advice. Cheers

One other possibility, not sure if it is a viable theory -

You said you had a hermie in your last grow - it may be possible that there was still some pollen on the wall of your tent or dislodged from your fan blades or something. Did you give your tent a good cleaning between grows? That could explain the relatively small number of seeds you’ve found so far and not having found any pollen sacks yet. Not sure how long pollen remains viable, perhaps one of our growers who farms seeds can comment. In any case give your plants a thorough examination to find the pollen sacks because if they are there you will continue to get more seeds. If they are not there then it is evidence my theory might be possible. Also, are the seeds all from a particular part of a plant? Unfortunately the fans will spread fresh pollen around but depending on where the seeds are located you may be able to work back to find the pollen sacks. Look either above the seeds for pollen dropping or upwind.

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
          Editing a comment
          I did start getting some nanna's around the 6th week of flowering in my last grow, but was able to control them before they popped, didn't get one seed. They were the Incredible Bulk by Dr Kippler I think, sourced through Seedsman as well. I replaced most of the grow equipment including tent, exhaust fan etc. The only things I re used was the floor fan, two reflectors for the HPS lights and a side fan. They were thoroughly cleaned three times with a diluted bleach solution three times each just to be sure. The whole room and house I grow in was fumigated and thoroughly cleaned as well b professionals, had a thrip problem towards the end of my last grow as well.

I did another thorough examination of the plants again, three plants have seed. I also found a yellow f#%$%^@ flower on the plant I first found the seeds on, the flower was on the bottom of the branch hidden. Im pretty sure it has started with that plant, as the seeds are contained to one side of the plant and its the only plant that had a flower. Also the seeds on the other plants aren't as mature. Im not sure what to do, its costing a bit in electricity at the moment to finish these plants, not sure its going to be worth it. but the buds are looking so nice on a couple of the plants. Im going to take a video and upload it through Imgur and see what everyone thinks. The frost on some of these plants is amazing. Thanks once again for your help and advice mate, I truly appreciate it.

• DeadlyFruit
          DeadlyFruit commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like my theory is a dud - you cleaned the heck out of things. You have an official hermie. I would keep growing if it were me and watch for more nanners. The little buggers are hard to find sometimes, especially in a really leafy plant, but it would be a shame to stop now. I’ve had hermies a couple times and even though it is annoying to find a bunch of seeds the bud still had a good kick to it.

Sorry for the late update, haven't been well the last couple of weeks and had to spend a few days in hospital for a small procedure. I ended up pulling the plant with a lot of seeds on around the 13th-14th. The plant had a lot more seed than what I first thought, it also seemed to stop growing and nanna's started showing up on it everywhere. I didn't have the time to properly control the nanna's due to illness and having a medical procedure, plus look after the other 3 plants properly. It wasn't an easy decision but I think it was the right one due to the circumstances. I will make another post about the other 3 plants a bit later, they are doing quite well. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice on this plant, it is greatly appreciated. Cheers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X