Another Newb!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Newb!

Greetings, All... just another newbie first-timer getting started here. Weeks worth of research here on GWE, and lots of shopping completed, and I believe I have a relatively good start. Started 1 Blue Dream photo, and a Blueberry photo... Have them in a 24"x48"x58" tent, a 6"x18" charcoal filter with a 6" inline fan ducted to the outside of the tent. All growing in coco coir, and using Dyna Gro nutes in 6.0 pH water... lighting is (currently) 2 each 100W CFLs, with ability to increase to 4 each once they get a little further along the growth stage. Lighting set to 18/6 right now... I love a good process!!
    Here's hoping all goes well, and would certainly welcome any advice or comments on the setup from those who have been around the block a time or two...
    Photo (if I get it loaded right) is BlueDream (her name is Marjorie) 1 week after wetting the seeds...
    Cheers!
    Current Project - 1 Kali Mist (Kali), 1 Northern Lights (Jeaneau) and 1 Pineapple Express (Pennsyltucky)
    Growing all in CocoCoir (2/3 CoCo:1/3 Perlite)
    Dyna Grow and Bloom Nutrients with CalMag in 6.0pH
    Tent 1 - 4x4x6' with 1 Viparspectra XS4000
    Tent 2 - 2x4x5' with 2 each KingLED 1000 (growing Ghost Peppers! 🌶)
    6x18" Filter w/ 6" 390CFM fan to exhaust, 4" 190CFM Inlet
    Typical Temps 72-82F, RH 20-35%

Looking good so far VBBassBlue Welcome! I'm sure that you have some holes in the bottom of the starter cups. What pots will you be transpotting to? I like it that you have named your plant. Marjorie is a great name
    Past Grows: Jack 47 Auto - La Bella Afrodita - Black Cream and Cheese Autos
    I like weed and science.

Comment

Welcome and looking good so far. I’d imagine you’ll want to invest in lights soon.
      Current Grow:
      2x Blue Dream Autos
      Coco + Perlite mix
      GH trio + CalMag, Floralicious, KoolBloom
      2x4x5 tent, SF1000 LED + Viparspectra PAR450

Comment

Welcome to GWE.
        5x5 Gorilla tent
        Spectrum King SK402 - 2Ă— Optic XL1
        Infinity T8 exhaust fan
        Technaflora nutes
        Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• VBBassBlue
          VBBassBlue commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

Originally posted by JeffInCanada View Post
        Looking good so far VBBassBlue Welcome! I'm sure that you have some holes in the bottom of the starter cups. What pots will you be transpotting to? I like it that you have named your plant. Marjorie is a great name
        JeffInCanada Thanks! I do have drain holes in the solo cups... looking to re-plant possibly into a round 3 gal planter filled with coco, but have also been contemplating a rectangular container approx 6" deep, by 6" wide, by 24" long....reasoning is that if I top her young and then run the two subsequent colas out the length of the pot and then lay those two colas down horizontally (LST?) I have something to tie down to....normally I wouldn't believe 6"x6" would be enough root area, but with the 24" length I'm thinking it gives roots enough space to grow... any thoughts?Thanks,
        Last edited by VBBassBlue; 05-04-2021, 05:27 AM.
        Current Project - 1 Kali Mist (Kali), 1 Northern Lights (Jeaneau) and 1 Pineapple Express (Pennsyltucky)

Comment

• JeffInCanada
          JeffInCanada commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure about the 6 inch deep pot that is 24 inches long. It may work just fine. Try both, put one plant in a 3gal and the other in the "long pot". See what they do.

Originally posted by Earlygrower View Post
        Welcome and looking good so far. I’d imagine you’ll want to invest in lights soon.
        Thank you, Earlygrower. I have my eye on a 1000 LED... do you believe that's enough for two plants, or should I look into either the 2000, or maybe just 2 each 1000's daisy chained for correct spacing?
        Last edited by VBBassBlue; 05-04-2021, 05:28 AM.

Comment

• Earlygrower
          Earlygrower commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a 2x4 tent as well with a sf1000 and a viparspectra p450 LED. I was being cheap with lights at first and am already looking to replace these.

When you say 1000 LED, you need to look what it actually pulls from the wall. My SF1000 pulls about 100 watts only.

FYI- I typically grow 3 plants in the 2x4. The 2x LEDs work but I will upgrade soon.

Welcome ! Bienvenue ! Bienvenido to the family !
        Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
        Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
        Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
        Full auto grow
        Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
        12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

Cool beans welcome to kindergarden LOL
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Just a quick update.. shifted from the 2 CFLs to a KingLED 1000 sitting about 18” from the top... she looks happy, I think!

Comment

• JeffInCanada
              JeffInCanada commented
              Editing a comment
              That's an upgrade Good luck.

More or less as a journal for my first grow, Marjorie at 2 weeks and 1 day after poking her head out of the Jiffy pod. KingLED 1000 at 22", feeding DynaGro at 1/2 strength and a CalMag at 1tsp/gal. The two Blueberries are slow germinating/moving, but starting to come alive. Feeding BBs 1/4 strength DynaGrow until a few more leaf sets arrive...Planning to manifold Marjorie (per Nebula's method), quadline Blueberry 1, and top/LST Blueberry II to experience the different methods..... Using coco coir (2/3 to 1/3 perlite). At this point, feeding every other day. Lux meter coming in 2 days to ensure correct lighting being transferred at the leaf level.

Comment

Ok... so valuable lesson learned... when multiple plants are in the tent, ensure the pots are the same height due to where the primary lights need to be positioned... sounds like common sense? But I wasn’t bright enough to figure it out this go-round!! Got it for next, though...!

Comment

• Catfish22
                Catfish22 commented
                Editing a comment
                Happens all the time!
                We just put some sort of risers under each pot as needed to maintain a flat canopy so each plant can be the same distance from the light.

Ok.... so a day short of 4 weeks from “seeds wet,” and Marjorie has been topped, and doesn’t seem to have minded it too much... waiting for the growth tips to produce a fourth node, and will then top those at the third and remove second, starting the manifold system. So excited!! Heh.. doesn’t take much with me, I guess... The two blueberries (Beatrix and Bella) are doing well, but fairly slow compared to the Blue Dream... primarily sativa vs primarily indica, I guess? Either way, will try to keep them as close to the same growth level as I can to produce the tabletop effect we’re all looking for.... having a great time with this!!

Comment

Update!! Feels like someone has hit the accelerator in the last few days, as both Bella and Beatrix have really gained some mass and height seemingly overnight... could it be that I’ve shifted to full strength Grow and CalMag nutes? So far, that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it! Marjorie has been topped initially, and about ready for second round to complete the manifold base... at that point will let her do her thing.. up up and away! Still Planning to quadline Bella and just lay Beatrix on her side just to see what comes about....
                enjoying it immensely!!

Comment

• Tersky
                  Tersky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  More than likely the roots were still filling out pot. Usually when repotting or with newly started plants there is a period where it grows in height very little and this is because it is stretching out the roots to fill the pot. Once the roots have filled up the plant growth explodes.

• VBBassBlue
                  VBBassBlue commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tersky That's probably a more feasible explanation! Good to know! Whatever the cause, I'm happy to see it, and hope the two Blueberries can catch up to the Blue Dream in time for the 12/12 switch.

Was having a hard time visualizing the manifold process with this plant ( I don’t think “spatially” very well), but I think by following Nebula’s tutorial step by step, I’m starting to see the light!

Comment

• JeffInCanada
                  JeffInCanada commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looking good, you have the idea of it for sure...Marjorie's looking very fine!

• VBBassBlue
                  VBBassBlue commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, JeffInCanada ! Now if I can just figure out these Blueberries!!

Just putting this out there, as it’s not a terrible problem, but puzzling to me, and maybe someone had some insight...
                My two Blueberries (Bella and Beatrix) both germinated within a few days of each other, and have been in the same environment their whole lives. Both are working on natural (apical) node 6. Yet Beatrix is a little under 4” tall, and Bella is about 10.5” tall.....Is that typical? Assuming the same difference/ratio will exist during flowering stage?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X