X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Psychedelic Drug Passes Big Test for PTSD Treatment

This is an article in today's New York Times:

A Psychedelic Drug Passes Big Test for PTSD Treatment

In an important step toward medical approval, MDMA, the illegal drug popularly known as Ecstasy or Molly, was shown to
    bring relief to those suffering from severe post-traumatic stress disorder when paired with talk therapy.
    Of the 90 people who took part in the new study, which is expected to be published later this month in Nature Medicine,
    those who received MDMA during therapy experienced a significantly greater reduction in the severity of their symptoms
    compared with those who received therapy and an inactive placebo. Two months after treatment, 67 percent of participants
    in the MDMA group no longer qualified for a diagnosis of PTSD, compared with 32 percent in the placebo group.
    MDMA produced no serious adverse side effects. Some participants temporarily experienced mild symptoms like nausea
    and loss of appetite.

“This is about as excited as I can get about a clinical trial,” said Gul Dolen, a neuroscientist at Johns Hopkins University
    School of Medicine, who was not involved in the research. “There is nothing like this in clinical trial results for a
    neuropsychiatric disease.”

Before MDMA-assisted therapy can be approved for therapeutic use, the Food and Drug Administration needs a second
    positive Phase 3 trial, which is currently underway with 100 participants. Approval could come as early as 2023.
    Mental health experts say that this research — the first Phase 3 trial conducted on psychedelic-assisted therapy — could
    pave the way for further studies on MDMA’s potential to help address other difficult-to-treat mental health conditions,
    including substance abuse, obsessive compulsive disorder, phobias, eating disorders, depression, end-of-life anxiety and
    social anxiety in autistic adults.

And, mental health researchers say, these studies could also encourage additional research on other banned psychedelics,
    including psilocybin, LSD and mescaline.

“This is a wonderful, fruitful time for discovery, because people are suddenly willing to consider these substances as
    therapeutics again, which hasn’t happened in 50 years,” said Jennifer Mitchell, a neuroscientist at the University of
    California, San Francisco, and lead author of the new study.

Good reading.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

Interesting article. MDMA came along after my "experimental" days so I've never tried it. I have 3 pills someone gave me a few years ago stashed in a drawer somewhere in the house. The girl who gave them to me was pretty much a space cadet who kind of creeped me out so I never really had an urge to test it.

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
        PeterMatanzas commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never done it. I think it came along after I lost interest in psychedelic drugs, and that's a long time ago, early '70s.

Interesting article! Can you provide any related studies?

Comment

PeterMatanzas ...thx for sharing. I spent a career in an industry where PTSD is just now being acknowledged and openly discussed. It's a mental health issue and those subjects are taboo and difficult to talk about. This is a good step in the right direction.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
      Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X