Dry Sift Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Sift Tonight

The objective to finish is a tincture of decarboxylated cannabis for oral use.

First the cannabis is broken into popcorn sized pieces over a 104 micron sift screen (which has been placed above another, finer sift screen). The cannabis is swept across the screen several times with a brush, pushed into a pile by the credit card, collected, and then placed in a mason jar until we're finished with this step because we have several jars to process. There's 56 grams of cannabis here. Finally we are done with preparing the cannabis for decarb. The oven has been heated to 220, and gallon mason jars were placed within at start. When 220 is reached the cannabis is placed into a heated mason jar, sealed with a cap. When 30 minutes goes by the mason jars are rotated. When 60 minutes goes by, the jars are rotated again, and the temp is reduced to 180 for a duration of one hour. Sometimes I'll do 3 hours at 180 but there's a pressing matter that requires urgency tonight so we'll go with one hour at 180 after the 220 treatment.

The first picture shows our setup. Cannabis is placed on the 104 micron screen and broken up by hand (pic 2). The cannabis is swept several times (pic 3), and in pic 4 we see what plant matter made it through the 104 screen. Pic 4 shows the trichomes collected on the 75 screen, they've dropped from the 104. The last photo is dry sift that's made it through the 75 micron screen and is sitting on the mirror. This is what's pressed to make hash.

Now we're waiting for the decarb to finish before we begin extracting cannabis oil for our tincture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	512360Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	512359Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	512362Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	512361Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	512363

That's brilliant. A lot of work for sure but should pay dividends.

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for those kind words. This does pay dividends.

PeterMatanzas , how does the trichome removal affect the potency of the finished product? I make caps and if I can collect the kief before I make caps and not lose potency that would definitely be something I would try.
    This is the first I have been able to make them with my weed so I don't know yet what the difference is going to be.
    2X4X6 Quictent
    1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
    600w LED (80)
    1000w LED (180)
    2 X Viparspectra P-1000
    2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
    6" battery/usb fans
    Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
    GH trio with Calimagic
    Lung room humidifier
    3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
    ArmorSi, kelp when needed
    Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
    Northern Lights auto
    (Seedsman)
    auto 00 Kush
    (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
    2x Northern lights auto
    1 auto 00 Kush
    1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
    Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

Very nice setup !!
      Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
      Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
      Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
      Full auto grow
      Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
      12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
        PeterMatanzas commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, that’s much appreciated

Originally posted by Catfish22 View Post
      PeterMatanzas , how does the trichome removal affect the potency of the finished product...
      yes you’re right it would be a concern - but I’m not trying to remove trichomes, I wish they’d all remain when I break up the buds in prep for decarb. It’s inevitable trichomes will fall off buds when they’re manicured and I want to capture them. I don’t want them all mixed in with trim.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X