Compost Tea: Barley Malt Extract vs Un-Sulphured Molasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compost Tea: Barley Malt Extract vs Un-Sulphured Molasses

Just wondering if anyone has tried Barley Malt Extracts in their compost tea brewing and how they found it compared against Molasses? I`m trying both out-alternating-and using the Meridian brand. Just really curious for an feedback or thoughts.

Morning PaganRich i never used barley malt extracts sorry i've just used unsulferated molasses during the flowering phase.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I have done some reading on malted barley for cannabis soil and it sounds like a good option but I have come across so many contradictions regarding it's use I haven't pulled the trigger using it yet. Keep us updated on how it works for you. Like SoOrbudgal I've been using molasses for years. I use it throughout my grow but increase during flower/bud.

Comment

SoOrbudgal crucialbunny There`s a right royal shortage of molasses over here unless you spend stupid money and I thought I was buying a small jar to tied me over til things settled down, of molasses but it was barley....the labels are identical and I just assumed...so far, compost tea is lighter but microbe filth froth on top is more pronounced...like you I`ve used molasses....everything seems similar and the write ups are good but it`s less dense and doesn`t seem to go as far as molasses if that makes sense...thank you guys for responding....I thought this was a forlorn question....may I also take this opportunity to wish you both a happy Beltane Day ( Beltane or Beltain is the Gaelic May Day festival. Most commonly it is held on 1 May, or about halfway between the spring equinox and summer solstice.)

Comment

Not sure how the extract works but I usually top dress malted barley on my soil. It’s full of enzymes that help break down organic matter. It’s been said that it helps plants finish quicker. Learned this from Clackamas Coot. Google his name and malted barley I’m sure you’ll get loads of info on how and why it works. I once tried bubbling it and feeding as a tea boy did I make a mistake it fermented so quick my room smelled like it was full of people hung over. Nasty shit I don’t even drink. Needles to say don’t bubble over night maybe an he or so and soil drench.

Comment

• PaganRich
          PaganRich commented
          Editing a comment
          Cali Thanks mate, yeah, have seen that mentioned when looking at barley teas-definitely going to look into that....sounds like a good soil additives...did chuckle over hung over folk-knew exactly where you were coming from...take care mate

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X