Can clones regenerate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can clones regenerate?

I had 2 Bubba Kush seeds, being a newby I didn't recognize one was a male and the other was pollinated before I removed the male. Her flowers weren't large, didn't resin up much at all, seedy and almost no fragrance whatsoever. The harvested result was a tingle-buzz that didn't last 5 minutes and was gone. Worthless. However, I took 2 clones from her and needing the practice, raised them to harvest anyway. They followed in the mother plant's shoes of not much resin nor fragrance or size...yet...WOW! This batch packs some punch and a lovely uplifting, euphoric feeling that has some staying power. I like it!

Expectations were totally low when I raised the clones and saw the familiar pattern. This batch is seedy too, but the effect is way better than the pollinated mother turned out.

Is it possible for clones to "regenerate" and regain potency, each generation? I took 2 more of the last decent batch. Will this 3rd batch be back to normal, maybe?

I don't fully understand your question so I'll stream of consciousness this.

1) a Bubba Kush was pollinated;
    2) you took 2 clones from her & raised them to harvest, they were good;
    3) "this batch is seedy too" ? What does this mean? The clones of a female were pollinated somehow? Or did they hermie?
    4) "I took 2 more of the last decent batch" - what batch is this? Do you mean you took clones off the (potential) hermies?

I'm guessing "3rd batch" means the end point here:
    Have fems growing
    Took clones (batch 1)
    Took clones of clones (batch 2)
    Took clones of clones of clones (batch 3)
    -------------------------------------

EDIT: Are you cloning a plant while it's in veg state? Or in flower state? What do you mean by "batch"? Is a "batch" a grow of female plants that are mothers to clones, or is a "batch" a group of clones growing?

Last edited by PeterMatanzas; 04-30-2021, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• ladygoldfish
      ladygoldfish commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. Mother got pollinated = weak weed. Her 2 clones acted the same (even seedy) but the result were way better. 'Took 2 more clones from them. Will their potency be even better or back to the norm of this strain?

Yes, I took the clones in veg. but the clones seeded up anyway. And yes, I wiped down and cleaned the whole room because of the male that was in there.

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      ok. I just asked out of curiosity, the part about did you clone the Mom during her veg state or her flower state. All I can do is state my experience: it doesn't matter, either clone can thrive if treated well. A clone from a mother in flower state is more difficult to care for but it can be done. In fact the clone of a mother in flower state is super vigorous, it shows explosive growth. It starts out weird because it doesnt understand WTF is happening with the light cycle. Weird meaning oddly shaped leaves bunched together, like a tight cluster of leaves. Then when it figures out it's time to veg the plant goes manic.

So you took clones from a pollinated plant and those clones produced seeds also?? Did you clean your grow area after the last crop? I could be wrong but I’ve never heard of a clone producing seeds just because the mother did, perhaps there was some residual pollen in your area or on your fans. Cropping out at the right time, Training and proper curing will help with potency taste and smell. Another thing I do to try to increase resin production which some growers do and others think is stupid lol is keep the plant in the dark for the last 2 days before harvest.

Comment

• ladygoldfish
      ladygoldfish commented
      Editing a comment
      2 days in the dark? Okay, I'll try that. Thanks.

You've never seen clones with seeds? Yikes. Yes, I cleaned the room profusely after removing the male and again after harvesting the female. The clone's flowers were low resin, low odor and seedy, but the result was good. I cured both batches by the book but different results.

I keep editing my post above and it's never posted.

What do you mean by "batch"? Is a batch a grow of plants that will be Mothers to clones, *or* is a batch a number of clones growing?

EDIT: ok, now just talking out some of what I do. I have cloned a female and kept a clone in veg for 9 months, and taken clones off of that clone. And taken clones off of clones of clones. I've read as you go down the line the plants get less vigorous. That is not my experience. Let's see if this GD edit is saved or am I wasting typing
    Last edited by PeterMatanzas; 04-30-2021, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• ladygoldfish
      ladygoldfish commented
      Editing a comment
      So you haven't noticed a reduced quality in your numerous clone generations (ages)? That's good to know.

By "batch" I mean harvest, collected from a single grow. 'Mother plant from seed got pollinated and was crap, but her clones' quality was pretty good even though they acted like the mother. I hope the clones of the clones will be the same or better. So far, they aren't showing signs of seeding, but they aren't quite half grown yet and a couple of months from setting to flower.

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      The clones she's referring to would be batch 2 in your comment above. Mother plant was cloned and then the clones were cloned and that's where we're at. She's counting the mother as batch 1 if I'm understanding correctly.

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct: "haven't noticed a reduced quality in your numerous clone generations". Actually I've seen some clones of clones of clones show very vigorous growth, have a few right now.

Sounds like its time to buy some good seed with stable genes, and let this hermie go. Yes I would toss all the seed from them.

Comment

• ladygoldfish
      ladygoldfish commented
      Editing a comment
      I used one of the recommended suppliers listed here but wasn't too happy with the results.

I purchased 5 feminize indica seeds from them. It took months to arrive (I expected a long wait, but not months) but they sent 5 free Bubba Kush bonus (unfortunately, not feminized). 2 of the indica's never germinated, 2 more sprouted but deformed and one died, the other I nursed back to health but it dwarfed. The last seed germinated perfectly, but developed root issues and dwarfed by the time I corrected it with Hydroguard. So I end up with 2 tiny, bonzai-sized plants with little yield, of course. It was good quality but totaled less than 4g.

The Kush caused the nightmare. I started 2 seeds which germinated and were textbook healthy...but one was a male. I had them together for months and didn't really recognize the difference until they started to flower, unfortunately. I'd taken clones from both in veg, but tossed half after the discovery. The clones acted like the mother, low odor, low resin and seedy, but the harvest was WAY better in quality. I took 2 clones from the first clones and wonder if they will be as good of quality or better..?

3 Kush seeds remained, so I tried to start over while the clone yield was curing. One sprouted with no issues, the other 2 struggled, one died and the other I nursed back using cloning techniques. Six weeks later and they both appear to be female, but I'm keeping them apart, just in case.

Don't laugh, but I ordered more seeds from the same company because at least they arrived and were having a killer-good 420 sale. Armed with my new knowledge and experience, I hope to avoid the previous issues.

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunate experience. Seeds should be cheap and top quality. Anyone who needs seeds should knock on my door and they will get plenty no charge.

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      @PeterMatanezas Here too, I give away seeds and clones
      ladygoldfish Well I too have payed for seed I was not happy with, delivery time was good, but when they dont pop, or dont grow well one feels as though they waisted a lot of time and money. Last seed I got from greybeards here in Oklahoma, I think I have 2 out of 2 popping now! Nice selection too.

I've run into the same issues with reg. seeds and supposidly fem seeds. Rushed breeders? It's a crap shoot at times that's why many more folks learn to breed their own what do they have to loose? I say try it i clone my plants over and over doing it now
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      And when those pricey seed are this times that, not much better than a bag seed! I can do that, and I get the fun of doing it.
      Some of my crosses I am growing, Blue Dream X BB3, Black Domina X BB3, Dresden Green Diamond x BB3, and the Wet Teddy Bears.

ladygoldfish These are clones of clones of clones that have been acclimated to sun for this year's outdoor grow. The original Mother was 2 years ago, best cannabis I've ever had so the Mom has been cloned repeatedly and it's always top shelf fire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clones.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	512229

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      Have to say though I've seen the claims that clones eventually fade in potency and vigor but that is not my experience.

Those claims are false in my opinion and just going by other growers claim. Clackamas Coot has been growing the same plant for 30+ years. Started from seed and been cloning it since and he laughs and educated people on their “generational drift” claims. I did learn from him and others in the chat the other day that if you feel a clone or any plant is getting weak maybe it’s a disease whatever the case may be just take it outside around June and let it veg in the sunlight something about the sunlight that makes the plants healthy and vigorous then take cuts from that healthy plant and keep them going inside again . He claims he has been doing it 30 years. If I lived in Oregon I would do my best to get a cut from him since he will give it away. He has so much knowledge and doesn’t charge for advice or clones or sells anything in fact the tries hard to make you understand that when you buy nutrients no matter what brand they are all the same 2% something and the rest all water. Only took one podcast for me and never looked back. This debate can go on for ever about what is better b it even Nebula Haze confirmed this on her side by side grow between living soil and nutrients fed plants that the tarps were better with living soil. And since medicine is what we are after why grow with bottled chemilcals from China?? Bottled here in America.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X