Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the *Original* smell of my dry room affect my cannabis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the *Original* smell of my dry room affect my cannabis?

I'm setting up my dry/cure room, and noticed a bad smell within the room I want to dry in. I plan on using a mesh hanging net. Will the bad smell already there affect my flower in any way? I'm unable to fix the smell or find a suitable substitute area to dry in
    FLOWERING:
    Nova 48"x48"x80" tent
    Mother Earth Groundswell Soil
    Vivosun 4" Carbon Filter
    GH Flora Trio
    EnjoYield 1000W LED Grow Light 3x3ft with Timer Dimmable
    Current Grow: GC-Critical Purple Auto x2, ILGM- AH x2, NL x1

Drying and curing is the most difficult step imo. Watch out for mold if that's what's causing that smell. Your dried cannabis is going to cure in a jar and it won't inherit a smell from ambient air because in a jar there's no ambient air.

Comment

• panalilies
      panalilies commented
      Editing a comment
      I can def burp the jars in a more fresh area, its really the drying Im concerned about

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      Without knowing what the smell is makes it difficult to figure out what may happen. A fishy smell is sometimes an electrical component overheating. Decomposition smells would be real bad. There could be bacterial growth in your heating system coils. A musty smell is mildew.

A crazy idea I might try if I was worried: you can buy the essential oils of terpenes, like the smell of Girl Scout Cookies. You could make a spray from that oil just for a more pleasant smell. Friends use trueterpenes dot com when they make carts. This is done because often the extraction of oil from a cannabis plant excludes terpenes.

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, I see below that perhaps your plumbing system or vent pipe is clogged, or you have a broken sewer pipe. What DeadlyFruit said about tell people it's a skunk strain is the funniest thing I've read today.

Can’t say for sure but I suspect it might a little. Do you know what the smell is? I would be a little more worried about chemical smells (paint etc) or smells that suggest mold or mildew. The chemical smell seems like it might just give your stuff a slight off taste but I would be more worried about any potential damp/mildew with mold spores potentially landing on your stuff and wrecking your crop. As I said, that is speculation. I’ve seen pics of harvests hanging in old barns etc so there is a chance I am wrong.

Comment

• panalilies
      panalilies commented
      Editing a comment
      The drain pipe for the upstairs bathroom has sprung a small leak, so TBH the smell is basically toilet water smell. Ive set out a bucket to catch the drips, but its kinda gross and very close to where I want to hang the net. I need a humidifier since the room has like a 30% RH, so I dont think Ill need to worry about mildew

• DeadlyFruit
      DeadlyFruit commented
      Editing a comment
      With the humidity that low it shouldn’t be a mold problem, as long as there isn’t any standing water. It’s not optimal but unless the room is super stinky or the drips are coming down on the plants you might be ok. If it does smell just tell everyone it is a skunk strain 😀

• panalilies
      panalilies commented
      Editing a comment
      DeadlyFruit- Im not sure who all will be tasting this first grow, but that is a great idea lol

You can change the smell of the ambient air by using a spray you've made of essential oil of terpenes

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	177
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	510383
    Attached Files

Comment

I don't believe it will affect anything. I had that problem last year, except it was the melting snow dripping through the roof into my grow room. It got a little musty because I couldn't stop it and the floor got soaked before I noticed it. I did what I could but had 3 tents to move around while I tried to dry the carpet. Needless to say, after it dried then I shampooed (why does that word look so strange but spell check says it's right) them a second time. Neither the musty smell, or the shampoo smell had any affect that I noticed. Not saying it can't happen though so still be cautious.

Comment

PeterMatanzas- The humidifier I bought came with a tray for oils. If needed, do you think I could put the terps in there or should I go with a bottle? The pipe leaking happened very recently, and I noticed this morning I wasnt getting the strong, gross smell anymore. So I went ahead with my plan to early harvest my main cola to see the difference in, well, everything I guess. Do you think it would be okay with how i have my humidifier blowing? I know i dont want the mist directly blowing on my drying buds, but its not doing a good job of raising the RH% (the 44% in the picture is a lie, its been steady at 35%) I did leave the leaves on to dry to help like that.
      FLOWERING:
      Nova 48"x48"x80" tent
      Vivosun 4" Carbon Filter
      GH Flora Trio

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
        PeterMatanzas commented
        Editing a comment
        What do you mean by "the bud is overpowering everything else"?

I have two of those same kind of drying trays, also. They get a lot of use but there's some downside to them. I don't use them in a conventional way. Here a bud gets cut and the stem end is placed on the tray screen, and the bud is leaned against the side of the tray. IDK if this makes sense the way I'm explaining but I don't want the bud to get flattened on one side. Some buds get cut and are just clipped to the side of the tray so the bud hangs in the air. Most of the time buds are just hung up like on a clothesline to whatever I can attach them to, like a coat hanger.

• panalilies
        panalilies commented
        Editing a comment
        I see what you mean, if you have any colas that are too large to lean against the side so it doesnt dry flat, do you cut them into smaller pieces? I do have plenty of hangers I can use if the mesh tent is less desirable for that reason. When I say overpowering, I mean I cant smell anything except the freshly cut cola (which isnt a big deal to me, just if I cant smell any bad smells that could still be lingering about)

• PeterMatanzas
        PeterMatanzas commented
        Editing a comment
        The large ones get hung up like you would a shirt on a clothes hanger. By the stem, the bud is not touched in any way. The small buds, if say there are any popcorn buds, they just get laid on the screen. I know what you mean by the perfumed room, the smell in my house can be overpowering.

PeterMatanzas - I took your advice and hung up the main cola (there was a popcorn nug I leaned against the mesh side). I think I hit the sweet spot as far as temp/ humidity. What do you think of the Ph level for my seedling? Ive never measured the Ph before, not 100% what it should be/ what it is
      FLOWERING:
      Nova 48"x48"x80" tent
      Vivosun 4" Carbon Filter
      GH Flora Trio

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
        DeadlyFruit commented
        Editing a comment
        The pen looks great.

I think I would probably still store it with some reference or storage solution, particularly if you are not using it for long periods between grows. My logic on this is based on how the meters work (I won’t get into it but it is an interesting read if you have time).

Not sure if you meant how often you would calibrate or how often you would test your water. I would calibrate weekly to start and then you can adjust based on experience more or less often. I test my water every time I give it to my plants, in part to see if I notice any calibration problems and also for peace of mind. These days I could probably do it a lot less frequently if I am not changing anything in my mix but I generally do it anyways.

• panalilies
        panalilies commented
        Editing a comment
        I got the pen and the 4.0 pH solution + the packs of powder. I did mean test the water, not calibrate. Do you test the water before you give it to them or do you test the run-off water?

• DeadlyFruit
        DeadlyFruit commented
        Editing a comment
        I check my water after I’ve added all the nutes before I have watered the plants. I usually don’t bother testing the runoff although technically you should. Personally I would start testing runoff if I saw any problems starting but you are probably better off testing both times for now, as you get used to things, but make sure you clean the probe after using in runoff water to be sure it doesn’t have dirt in it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X