Can seeds have twins? I went from none to 2 overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can seeds have twins? I went from none to 2 overnight

I dropped my last auto seed in the new pot after one night in a paper towel, there was only one seed. Today I have two sprouts, photo below. Click image for larger version

Name:	TwinsSeeds.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	509946
    Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
    Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
    Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
    Various size fabric grow bags
    Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
    4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
    Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Spontaneous generation? Amazing plant.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Yes they do have twins some times. Lucky yours ain't tangled up bad (from what you can see and distance apart)
      4x4 w/ Mars hydro fc-e4800
      1x Slapz
      1x Quikz
      2x red runtz
      1x flo-see
      1x 2B blunt
      1x persian pie

Comment

HobbitGDF What should I do now? Wait and see a few days? A fan quit overnight, I'm leaving in an <hour for a dr appt 2 hrs away. I've had a week of stress to last a year. But it was nice to see the seed wasn't a dud.

Comment

yeah would wait till its strong enough to transplant or just kill one
          1x Slapz
          1x Quikz
          2x red runtz
          1x flo-see
          1x 2B blunt
          1x persian pie

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Apr24NL.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	510324Click image for larger version

Name:	Apr24SL.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	510325 The twins, day two and day one. Not sure what to do with them but the pots all need watering. I planted the NL & SL starts a week ago tonight, only been spraying the top soil or watering around the bases. Click image for larger version  Name:	TwinSituation.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.24 MB ID:	510321Click image for larger version  Name:	TwinsSeeds.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.89 MB ID:	510322
            Last edited by Puglover1; 04-24-2021, 01:23 PM. Reason: Added more photos

Comment

The more they grow more chance damage both when taking one out right? Idk for real. Just seems legit
              1x Slapz
              1x Quikz
              2x red runtz
              1x flo-see
              1x 2B blunt
              1x persian pie

Comment

If they are truly twins from one seed I would let them be and let both grow in the space they are in. I mean what if you kill the wrong one? And how would you know?

Comment

• Puglover1
                  Puglover1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's what I was thinking. Either try to separate the little one out to another container or let them grow, but if they both take off I wasn't sure if that would be taking a chance of causing problems. Like a double plant, too many roots for the pot? But yes, it truly has to be a twin. New pots, newly mixed medium, seed in water with a drop of peroxide, later into paper towel/Ziploc for a day. There was one seed in the towel, I rolled it into the hole I had ready in the pot. I didn't know twins were a possibility.

I was very shaking this morning. Guess I'll let the twins grow some more then just cut one at the dirt when I see who appears to be stronger? Mr.furley have you had twins or have advice to offer?

I thought about trying to separate them but who knows which is the better of the two. They don't seem identical, more fraternal. They're both developing daily. The N Lights A-G start had 3 cotyledons, is that common or a bad thing?

My kingdom for humidity. I hate humid weather but I rarely can hit 40% RH in the closet right now. Doors open just enough for the fan base, towels wicking from basins of water in each corner and the tower osc fan blowing at a basin of water, making waves in it. Turned the thermostat down, furnace runs 1-2x during the night, the pets keep me warm in bed.

I have a console humidifier, good enough for the whole house. Should I humidify the whole bedroom and keep the door closed?

Comment

• Mr.furley
                  Mr.furley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  With all the cannabis seeds iv grown from iv never had a true twin, the rare times they have shown up here the consensus is to cull one of them. I have had twins, triplets and beyond with other plant most commonly from extra seeds in the hole sometimes on purpose, sometimes not and yes I do divide some plants, it is more common then one may think in the world of Botany and actually in some cases used to speed propagation of plants like coleus and dill to name a couple for example. Strawberries are divided not cloned and rarely grow from seed but there is a big difference between rhizomes and roots and after working with them you start to know the possibilities and limitations, where to push it and when to let it be. Cannabis has roots and autoflower roots don't like to be disturbed, I don't even ike transplant autos, shotglass of water for 24hrs to final pot is my preferred choice.

I personally would try to separate them at my house, Curiosity is my Jam and I have plenty of seeds, time and space. The first thing you need to answer is can you and do you feel confident to undertake the task with a steady hand? Second is can you afford to sacrifice both plants if it goes wrong? Like two plants sharing one tap root. If you answer yes to both of those questions I would be more then happy to walk you through the best process, if you answer no to either one then I would recommend culling one of them as it is the safest option. whichever way you want to go you need to do it soon as autoflowers are movers with a short time frame and both will suffer if left in the same pot.

• Puglover1
                  Puglover1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr.furley It is def a true twin, my last auto seed that wasn't a dud, I still need to email Seedsman. I dropped the one paper-toweled seed into the hole I made in a new pot with new soil medium. I was supposed to be growing 3 gelato OG autos. Because I have no more auto seeds my options are to sacrifice one of ten WT photo seeds then grow it outside when it's time if an attempt at separating twins fails. Or remove one of the twins. I'd love to try to save it but I have no backup auto seeds. I'm not always shaky, I'm much better in the afternoon when my calcium kicks in, I commiserate with the plants. I know about Ca & Mg bc they're life sustaining for me after a surgeon ruined my parathyroid glands. Would I assume the shorter one should die? I put an upside-down small pyrex bowl over them and the next morning there were the twins. If I execute one do I just cut the stem at the soil level? It's a shame about the duds, this would be fun to try to save and see how they both grow. I was actually wanting to grow an indoor and outdoor NL auto to compare but that's out the window.

Oh, I need to water, it's been a week. I can carry the pots to the kitchen, I want to tweak a few things in the closet. Should I use the long spout watering can or something more gentle? The other two plants are looking good, new growth every day. Thank you!

(I grow basil and dill, mint, strawberries, tomatoes etc when we don't have excessive rain preventing the farmers from planting. I had a bumper basil crop last year, gave a bunch away in solo cups that could each make several plants - feast or famine) Oh, I used to buy a coleus and make dozens of plants in cups to sell at garage sales years ago.
                  Last edited by Puglover1; 04-25-2021, 10:52 PM. Reason: added info

• Mr.furley
                  Mr.furley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So you get what I'm talking about with dividing it and sound like you have the experience to do so, Its just a personal choice after that if you want to. Its a crap shout on the one to cull, my suggestion is the weaker genetic. A small cup to the plant for water should do the trick, always be gentle when watering at that age.
                  Last edited by Mr.furley; 04-27-2021, 05:50 AM.

I guess the end is near for a twin. The fastest way I could get any auto seeds would be to do a trade with panalilies LOL. Seeds for Mag weed, heh. Monday pics below, I have two appts tmrw, the murder would have to occur after the pugs' supper. Anybody wanna vote on who to kill, er, cull?

Comment

• panalilies
                  panalilies commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL I have about 10 Auto seeds that I wont use all of for some time. I for sure say you should cull the tinnier one> the one in the pic that has a longer round leaf than the other, bigger one

Name:	May1NL.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	512468Click image for larger version

Name:	May1NLstem.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	512466Click image for larger version

Name:	May1NLgrowth.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	512467Northern Lights May 1st. It had 3 cotyledons, its first two leaves, on top is the 4th new set. Nodes are close together.

Comment

M Click image for larger version

Name:	May1SLGrowth.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	512471Click image for larger version

Name:	May1SL.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	512472Lemon seedling was a save, same growth as NLClick image for larger version

Name:	May1SLStem.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	512470

Comment

Name:	May1TwinStems.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	512474 Twins & their stems. Some days one feels stronger, next day the other one does. One main tap root, both growing new leaves. The shorter one seems to be catching up a bit. I still don't know which one to cull. What if both were left to grow in this 3 gal pot, each trained toward a side? Or if I cull one and they both die could I start my sativa photo in there so I'm not just tending to two plants? Click image for larger version

Name:	May1AutoGroup.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	512475 The two on top were started in the Aero-Garden in cc starters using spring water and a bit of A-G's liquid nutes. Still give plain PH'd water with a cup? I'm not sure if their nodes are close because of light distance or just their genetics.

Comment

This twin thing i've never had one. But i sure would'nt hesitate to snip off one right at the soil line.
                      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                      indoor/outdoor grower
                      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Puglover1
                        Puglover1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I know. And they're playing me SoOrbudgal The smaller one is growing in height at a faster rate than the other one. I dug the dirt to see the stems' bases for pics yesterday but each day a different one feels stronger. The taller one's first leaves have a white line in their middle, growing from the stem toward the tip. I put more perlite on top of all the pots a couple of days ago when it arrived, I wiped all the leaves of perlite dust best as I could but the white line on Tally's leaves isn't from that. Sure wish I'd used the Aero-Garden to start this one, the other 2 plants grew nice roots fast in there. And zero issues transplanting them. It really does save time, with good seeds. I'm about to clean it out to start marigolds, basil and whatever else I find. Maybe catnip seeds to keep him away from my dill. It's been beautiful here the past two days, supposed to change tmrw.

How are you doing? How's the river? I was looking at FB memories, two years ago today our new IL River bridge approach was closed due to flooding, the boat club set a record high water reading. Years ago my dad spent days helping hold down the fort, they even used his pontoon houseboat as a tug once to move the docks to safety.

I have 2 KingLED 1200's in there, on 24/0 veg mode. Should I change to 18/6? The pots are 22+ inches from the lights.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X