When do you defoliate week 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you defoliate week 3

As I was trying to figure out when I’m going to defoliate my current grow I thought this may be a good survey which could lead to interesting discussion. Plus I just enjoy hearing others perspective on things.

Okay, I believe that with growing photo plants indoors it’s fairly standard practice that we all defoliate right before we flip to 12/12. Here’s my survey question - When do you defoliate for week 3?

Is it exactly 3wks from the day you switched your lights to 12/12? Perhaps it’s 3wks from the day you noticed the first actual signs of flower. Maybe you wait until the end of week 3 (oh but is the end of week 3 4wks after the flip or 4wks after first sign of flower) If you’re like me, it’s sometime during the 3rd week after switching my lights to 12/12. I went 12/12 on 4-4, I’m doing one tonight, the other two when I get to them this week.

Let’s see what the people say
    Exactly 3wks from the day you changed to 12/12
    0%
    Exactly 3wks from the 1st sign of flower
    0%
    At the end of week 3, exactly 3wks from the day you changed to 12/12
    20.00%
    At the end of week 3, exactly 3wks from the 1st sign of flower
    10.00%
    Sometime throughout the 3rd week after I changed to 12/12 whenever I get to it
    50.00%
    I go all Mr Miyagi and do what the plants tell me
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by bboyfromwayback; 04-18-2021, 04:49 PM.

I'm not trying to be glib here but I have never had a plant that can read a calendar or follow a breeder's schedule. I trim and train my plants when they show they need it. I'm from the school of less is more and remove growth and train them in increments. It's simply based on my belief that shocking plants with major adjustments all at once lends itself to possible problems through stress. My methods probably aren't for everyone but you asked.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said crucialbunny, to succeed, a grower will learn to read his plants through close study from sprout to cure. Explore your plants by gentle touch, move a leaf around to see where shade is. If it needs to go you will know! As crucialbunny said slow and steady in all aspects of husbanding your lady will always be rewarded

Be Safe! Always wash your hands before touching your plants. Finger sniffing after is permitted.
      Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 04-18-2021, 05:49 PM.

These plants are amazingly resilient to abuse and stress. Whether you defol in week two, three, or four....the plant will just bounce back in 2-3 days and probably add extra time before harvest. Almost everything with growing these weeds are guidelines and not hard-fast rules. The common reasoning for “week 3 defol” is because the plant is less likely to pop out a ton more fan leaves, but that’s a generalization. Certain strains and environmental factors may have a role in how the plant responds.

Remember...as a farmer, your two best gardening tools are your eyes and experience. 👍
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Should’ve known somebody would go all Mr Miyagi. 3wks is fairly standard but not everyone’s thing so I added another column
      Last edited by bboyfromwayback; 04-18-2021, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Were you referring to my sensei in Banzai?

Crap, changing choices mid poll ain't fair! I want to change my vote to Mr. Miyagi? He is the only one I trust....still haven't got my car tho..?
      Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
      Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
      Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
      Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
      Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
      i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
      My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
      make pH correction unnecessary
      Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
      8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
      Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
      Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X