Lighting question ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting question ?

I'm currently using a 250w MH/HPS light,i just picked up a 150w hps . How beneficial will it be adding the 150 to the grow ? My temps are 74 with both lights on.

WOW two lights? I only run one 600 watt two of them .........I don't know.

Comment

I'm using two 1200w LED panels in a 2x4 area, so not even sure if what I'm using is overkill.

Comment

Hey lord. Please post some pics. I too have 1200 Leds but have not put them together.Yes 2 would be overkill yet I know they differ so much in quality and density. I have one 1200 LED in a 4x4 tent with 3 plants.57days veg just flipping to flower now. Light is about 30" from canopy.
        2-4X4 tents, 1200 WATT LED'S in Promix Organic with worm castings , vermiculite, and bone meal with Island Nutes and 7 gal grow pots

Comment

Originally posted by BG Bud View Post
          Hey lord. Please post some pics. I too have 1200 Leds but have not put them together.Yes 2 would be overkill yet I know they differ so much in quality and density. I have one 1200 LED in a 4x4 tent with 3 plants.57days veg just flipping to flower now. Light is about 30" from canopy.
          Pictures of the lights or my plants. I have 25 squeezed in a 2x4 tent, not to mention the 29 GSC clones I started. I'll post some plant pictures now, I'll get the lights shortly.

Comment

BG Bud The lights are off at the moment. If I take a picture with them on, the pictures become basically purple and not too viewable. They are a foot and a half above the plants. If I'm using too much, please let me know so I can remove it and save myself about $40 a month lol. I have two 1000W stored for when I finally get my shed put up and might actually be getting some unplanned space as it looks like several of my autos will be done shortly. One thing I have learned, is that auto plants are not for me. I wanted to take my time and grow my plants the way I wanted them. Was a bit miffed with my seller for selling me seeds that were supposed to be feminized only and turned out to be auto mixed. I'm starting to get the idea why they aren't advertised here, read their name a few times in posts though not sure what their issue were, just that they weren't happy with them. Here is a few pics of my setup.

Comment

• Lord-Xanthor
              Lord-Xanthor commented
              Editing a comment
              The hydrometer that's on the left panel is just there to let me know the overall heat in the upper portion of the tent. I actually have two more, one you cant see in the foliage, and another Wi-Fi probe version on the floor to give me root temp and correct humidity. It also acts as a motion detector for situations like when my daughters cat manages to find ways in. Happened only once, but the kitty's been determined to try many times too.

Breezy welcome man,haven't got the chance to say that yet!

It will only do good to your plants adding more wattage,however im unsure of the distances you should be keeping as the bulbs radiate at different rates! Is this one reflector with 2 bulbs or two separate reflectors? It will NOT be equal to 400MH bulbs as the light is not from one source,the wattage is not from one source and the distances need to be calculated! I would check this and then start testing with a lumen/lux meter and temp readings (tho i doubt you will have issues with temps)

Depending on the size/wattage of your light, MH and HPS grow lights need to be kept at different distances from your cannabis plant.

Here's a quick reference guide to use as a starting point:
            Grow Light Closest ~ Sunlight Furthest
            150W 5" (10cm) 7" (18cm) 11" (28cm)
            250W 6" (13cm) 9" (23cm) 13" (33cm)
            400W 8" (15cm) 12" (30cm) 19" (48cm)
            600W 9" (20cm) 16" (41cm) 25" (64cm)
            1000W 11" (26cm) 21" (53cm) 31" (79cm)
            150W - covers 2' x 2' (0.6m x 0.6m) area

250W - covers 2' x 2' (0.6m x 0.6m) area up to 2.5' x 2.5' (0.8m x 0.8m)

400W - covers 3' x 3' (0.9m x 0.9m) area up to 3.5' x 3.5' (1m x 1m)

600W - covers 3.5' x 3.5' (1m x 1m) area up to 4' x 4' (1.2m x 1.2m)

1000W - covers 4' x 4' (1.2m x 1.2m) area up to 5' x 5' (1.5m x 1.5m).
            Last edited by Nartak; 02-01-2017, 06:46 AM.
            Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
            600W

LED
            2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
            BioBizzLight Mix
            Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
            Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
            Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
            CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
            Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

• Nartak
              Nartak commented
              Editing a comment
              Also keep in mind,using a led will not tripple or double the yield,it can replace a 1000w HID,however given the space the HID would do far better than the led!!

People i don't think that there is overkill from lights if you have HEIGHT and MANAGEABLE TEMPS.

Led lights do NOT have the PAR penetration of HPS therefore two of them wont change the PAR,they will spread it further!

Also led lights are known for low temps,why not 3 if you can manage the temps and have the right distance from the plants!!

Also i will adding 2x900w leds in a 8x8 room (each covers a 4x4) that are 2000w HID equivalent! It has nothing to do with HID lighting tho..

I would add the above mentioned 2x900w leds that replace a 1000w HID but i would never use 2x1000w HID because they would run badly compared to 2x600w or even 3x600 (2x hps + 1 mh) OR (3x HPS with 30% Blue Spectrum)

Even the exact brand of the bulb can play a difference!!

For the leds you count about 60 pieces of 5 watts for every 2x2 TOPS 3x3 ....

Am i even making sense?

HPS/MH
            600W

LED
            2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
            BioBizzLight Mix
            Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
            CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals

Comment

Thanks nartak they are both separate reflectors .I do have them the proper distance I followed the chart above. I was told in the last week of flowering to switch the 250 back to MH as it will pack on the trichromes and this way I will have the 150 as the HPS . Is this correct ?

Comment

• Nartak
                Nartak commented
                Editing a comment
                You want more red spectrum for the flower stage so i would do the other way around,however,since you only got 250MH and not 150MH do it as you find suitable.Im unsure if the balance would be correct,250W MH and 150W HPS for veg is perfect...250HPS + 150HPS for flower sounds good to me...

Now taking out 250W of red spectrum and replacing it with clean blue spectrum,surpassing the red spectrum's intensity of 150W...That is something you would have to research about as i wouldn't do it for the sole reason of knowing Blue = Early-Late Spring and RED = Late summer-Fall... I would be talking bananas if i answered this one...

Keep the MH plus HPS for the veg,it is perfect...Please consider asking someone else about more BLUE than RED spectrum in flower...Im still in my first grow,im just good at maths and reading

And we really want to go DIY here...Why don't you set up a 650w (250+150w HPS + 250w MH)

Just thought of this and it turns out the whole setup would have about 38% Blue Spectrum which is 8% more than the AGRO HPS lamps have!!

So think about laying them like this over your plants :
              (250w HPS) | (250w MH) ----Height Lower----
              | (150w HPS)

Plants--Plants--Plants--Plants--Plants--Plants

HPS/MH
              600W

LED
              2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
              BioBizzLight Mix
              Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
              CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals

Comment

007 commented
                Editing a comment
                That diagram is worth a million dollars, I love it!!!

• bobsakamoto
                bobsakamoto commented
                Editing a comment
                true dat

• Nartak
                Nartak commented
                Editing a comment
                Im really flattered people!This is just editing with the forum's text editor (and using the center] [/center] code)

Pasting this fro. The sellers advertisement who I bought them from. When I get my shed Im thinking of getting the 2000w panels for 4x4 tents. Just so you know the seller obviously translated incorrectly as the reason for the zenior diods isnt to make sure the leds go off but to make sure should one burn out that the rest stay lit. Here is the paste:

The latest LED plant grows light plants, using efficient full-spectrum 360-870nm sunlight spectrum on plants, to a large extent accelerating plant growth. Compared with previous LED plant growth lights, LED plant growth lamps use high-value high-lumen ligthing for plant growth. Solid light body can last a long time. It can be used to enhance the growth of different plants (medicinal plants, vegetables, herbs and flowers). In hydroponics, greenhouse, indoor garden, gardening is widely used. It is suitable for the growth of all plants.

Product Specifications:
              1200W LED plant growth lights
              For the full-spectrum vegetative growth and flowering stages: 430-440 nm, 450-475 nm, 620-630 nm, 650-670 nm, white, IR (730 nm)
              LED lights: 120PCS 10W LED growth
              Dimensions: 310 * 210 * 60 mm (12.2 points ~ x8.26 points ~ x2.36 inches)
              Coverage Area: Approximately 3.5 × 4 sq. Ft. (Lighting area and height varies according to plant and environment)
              Lumens: 19000lm
              Pa: 526umol / 1 mol 432umol / 1.5m
              Lux: 15000LUX / 1 mole 12000lux / 1.5 meters
              Life:> 50000 hours
              LED power: 1200W

Global voltage: 85V-265V
              Working environment: -20 ~ 40 ℃, 45% ~ 95% RH
              Operating frequency: 50 ~ 60HZ
              Warranty: 3 all-inclusive years

feature:
              High-efficiency optimization Par light, very adequate spectrum light, ultra-light penetration
              Plant Growth Faster, Larger Flowers: Enhanced Spectral Output Coverage ALL PAR (400-730nm) Promotes Photosynthesis Growth & Bloomming,
              Efficient powerful 10WATT Puri LED lights, low energy consumption
              Powerful cooling fan system, cool more quiet
              Revolutionary heat aluminum PCB, run 80% higher than the intensity of the cold (HID) light
              A powerful suspension kit can be used for easy installation
              With Zener, make sure that all LED lights are off for the rest of the operation
              3 years long life, energy saving and environmental protection

Comment

• Lord-Xanthor
                Lord-Xanthor commented
                Editing a comment
                I actually paid $198 for both panels. In case anyone inports these from ebay sellers be wary at checkout. Some of the sellers are charging sales tax that your local will never see. Anyways as I mentioned before Im going to be buying most likely the 2000w panels for a 4x4 tent. Unless there is something better and same or more energy efficient. My power is discounted but then again im not rich so dont want 1000 dollar monthly electric bills lol

Originally posted by Nartak View Post
              And we really want to go DIY here...Why don't you set up a 650w (250+150w HPS + 250w MH)

Just thought of this and it turns out the whole setup would have about 38% Blue Spectrum which is 8% more than the AGRO HPS lamps have!!

So think about laying them like this over your plants :
              (250w HPS) | (250w MH) ----Height Lower----
              | (150w HPS)

Plants--Plants--Plants--Plants--Plants--Plants
              This is great, ingenious way of describing a light situation in text!!
              Grow and good luck
              Current grow:

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...lly-grown-meds

past grows:

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...2-grow-one-off

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...hello-everyone

Comment

• Nartak
                Nartak commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you furry,it was killing me opening a new tab and (using my left hand at the time holding a joint) looking for a 3D online model creator...I forgot to explain,the MH is in the middle because the side branches are already short as it is and you might want to scrog or keep everything without a scrog (including them popcorn buds) so u DO NOT WANT 30% (or more) LESS stretch provided from them,actually you want more of it,thus creating a flat canopy...

In action it may differ greatly from theory but i believe it is as close as can be!!Thanks again!

Xanthor i don't believe he would chip in a 150w hps if he had the money for a space-accorded led panel lol!!Even if he had the cash,i would again recommend he gets the Viparspectra 900w for Money for Value...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	57_P_1484752076866.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	573.9 KB
ID:	50957Click image for larger version

Name:	57_P_1484752059859.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	50958

Click image for larger version

Name:	57_P_1484752096344.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	516.8 KB
ID:	50959Click image for larger version

Name:	57_thumb_P_1484752012876.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	50960

Free shipping in the Us from company site,3yr warranty..

HPS/MH
              600W

LED
              2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
              BioBizzLight Mix
              Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
              CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals

Comment

• Vapo69
                Vapo69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Dude I just got the 225w ufo's one for each plant, very happy with them but still getting used to how powerful they are, had them at 24" and still got leaf burn, up at 32" now hopefully that's enough😂

• Nartak
                Nartak commented
                Editing a comment
                Which ones? :P Ufos?

Well you bumped your grow from a 250 watt to a total of 400 watts so I'd say you made a good investment

Comment

Thanks st.buds nice and simple straight to the point lol

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X