And the battle begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the battle begins

This is after only 1 hour after sunrise. All small black dots are root aphid flyers. An hour later and twice as many. First step, drench soil and spay seedling with PFR-97. New sticky traps everyday. Inspect for crawlers 3 times a day. Next step Biowar literally and with product same name. Wish me luck please.

I had a real bad problem with those little boogers. I used fly tape. Those kind you pull out of the little tubes. Instead of hanging the fly tape from the top of the tent down. I hung mine up between the lights and the canopy of the plants. Side to side . And that way the tape doesn't swing around as much . if there were any flying around they would get stuck. I also shut up pieces of cardboard box and duct tape and duct taped fly tape to the cardboard pieces and laid them in the flower pot. Make sure to try to keep your soil dry as possible. They don't like dry soil. I've also heard of using mosquito bits but I don't feel like I had much luck with them. Good luck

Comment

How about some predators to combat them, add them to the area and let Ma Nature do her thing.
      Edit
      {quote]Natural Pest Repellent

Cut up banana peels to bury 1 to 2 inches deep in the soil around plants that are prone to aphid infestations to repel and remove aphids from the area. ... Orange peels are highly fragrant, giving off a repellent scent to keep ants and aphids away from the garden.[/quote]
      Place a square of aluminum foil around the base of plants affected by aphids.
      What kind of bugs eat aphids?

Ladybeetles, Ladybugs, or Ladybird Beetles

Ladybeetles are probably the most well-known of beetles that eat aphids. There are many species, and both the adults and larvae eat aphids.

/Edit
      Last edited by Rwise; 04-10-2021, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• desertdan
        desertdan commented
        Editing a comment
        I have all the natural predators but there are just too many R.A. I have to take the sticky traps down after about 10 am because after that I catch more predators than R.A.

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Try the banana and orange peels! Cover the chopped banana peel and chop the orange peel and spread it over the surface around the plants. Cant hurt anything, the banana is acidic though.

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Also what about a Cayenne pepper spray? Ever try that?

My early morning reading and didn't realize you were outside. Dealing with Mother Nature. Being outside it's almost Unstoppable. Good luck

Comment

I might try this on young plants
        {quote]
        Does baking soda kill aphids?

This non-toxic pesticide will kill insects harmful to plants, like aphids, without damaging the environment. Mix one tablespoon of bicarb soda, ½ tablespoon of oil and two litres of water. Spray on plants every few day until problem insects disappear

[/quote]

Comment

• desertdan
          desertdan commented
          Editing a comment
          From my experience baking soda would be a waste of valuable time. I can afford the bio control so I will go with that. PF-97 worked well as control last year.

Kill them all ( wishful thinking ) this ain't no weak man's work. Those newbie wannabe big idea growers had best be paying attention to there areas. Wait and see we'll get some quick buck growers thinking it's easy come in here and ask " what are these why do i have these " farmers have the hardest job on the planet next to commerical fishing it makes or breaks you in 1 season. Good luck desertdan this is a full time job for months and months.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• desertdan
          desertdan commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate your understanding of my situation. Most have no idea what I am dealing with. I should have said the war begins because it is battles in a summer long war. Last tear I was losing at the beginning but I kept on fighting and was winning at the end and got a good crop. I did not kill them all but I got a good crop and that's what it is all about. Two years ago I lost the war and the crop. that was the first year I knew what I was dealing with and killed most of the plants trying to kill the bugs. So, the war begins again and so does the learning.

My heart goes out to you and all farmers
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Diatomaceous earth helps also, you can spread it around under the plants and the area around them. It takes a bit for it to show results but it will last for awhile. Kinda like little booby traps in your war!
          It can be used as a foliar spray also but I'm not sure of the dosage.
          Last edited by Catfish22; 04-10-2021, 12:05 PM.
          2X4X6 Quictent
          1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
          600w LED (80)
          1000w LED (180)
          2 X Viparspectra P-1000
          2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
          6" battery/usb fans
          Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
          GH trio with Calimagic
          Lung room humidifier
          3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
          ArmorSi, kelp when needed
          Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
          Northern Lights auto
          (Seedsman)
          auto 00 Kush
          (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
          2x Northern lights auto
          1 auto 00 Kush
          1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
          Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

• desertdan
            desertdan commented
            Editing a comment
            DTE does not work on these R.A. I tried mix of 60% sand 25% DTE and they loved crawling through it with ease.

• Catfish22
            Catfish22 commented
            Editing a comment
            I sense your frustration friend. It seems like you have experience on your side though.
            At least you know what doesn't work!

I have tried, DTE, sand, peroxide,mosquito bits, sulfer little or no effect.Praying mantis, lady bug, green lacewing, ant lion, wasps, and spiders have been helpful but not enough. Best results so far is fungus and soil bacteria. Pf-97 most effective so far. Have not yet tried Met 57 or OG Biowar.

Comment

You can try nematodes but they're expensive. Water them into your soil and any eggs or gnats that are down in the soil will get eaten. I've heard of people putting 2in of aquarium rocks or send on top of their soil so the Nats can't get down into the soil. Never tried it. Again good luck

Comment

I'm definitely glad I grow indoors where my environment is more controlled. Outdoors sounds rough. Again good luck. And you know what Bob Marley said" the harder the battle the sweeter the victory"

Comment

• desertdan
                desertdan commented
                Editing a comment
                Nematodes are very expensive. The problem with them is when there are not enough R.A. the nematodes starve and when there are enough to feed them then the R.A. out reproduce them. Horribly frustrating devils.

Sounds like damn if you do damn if you don't. Damn :-( good luck

Comment

What about plants that repel these critters? Such as lavender planted all around the area, and maybe sacrificial plants in other areas.

Comment

• desertdan
                  desertdan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am trying the sacrificial rout, they seem to like corn better and they love sunflowers.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X