A question of outdoor location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question of outdoor location

I'm planning to grow a single plant (sour diesel auto) in a bit of waste ground near my house. The location is about 20 feet away from a country lane frequented by walkers and cyclists, but well hidden visually from passers-by. There's a lot of nettles and small blackthorn trees to hide the plant.
    The question is - what about the aroma when the the plant is in full flowering stage and the wind is in the "wrong" direction? Would it be detectable? The photo was taken from the lane pointing towards my intended location. (There will be a lot more foliage and growth by the time my plant is flowering).
    Any opinions from seasoned outdoor growers would be welcome.
    ​​​​​​​
    600W LEDs (when growing indoors)
    70% John Innes #3 compost. 15% Perlite. 15% coir
    10 inch (3 gallon) pots

"I can resist everything, except temptation"
    Oscar Wilde

I myself dont worry with the aroma of ripe flowers in the wind. I am legal here, and the anti theft device is a big ass gun. I am in the country, not a city.
    Will the aroma be detectable, certainly, some strains hybrids put up different aromas, maybe pick a fruity one and not a skunk.

Comment

The unenlightened anal British government won't let me grow the stuff legally I'm sorry to say!
      How about a purple auto or a blueberry auto? Would they be less pungent?
      10 inch (3 gallon) pots

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Here's what they found through x-ray scan after our new pork blunder had his latest physical. I've smelt weed growing without seeing it i know none that don't smell in flower.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

What's a pork blunder?
          10 inch (3 gallon) pots

Oscar Wilde

Comment

I have grown many plants in the great outdoors (public/private land not mine) my suggestion is find ten more places to grow and hopefully you will get to harvest one or two of them. Every year I would lose 70-90% of my plants to animals, bugs, and people cops included. I would hike for miles up through the mountains to hide them. Problem is you need water for them to grow and water attracts life. Planting close to a pedestrian path my money goes to someone else harvesting your plants, but you might get lucky I'd do it just watch for footprints or other signs someone has been there because if someone has been there and the plants are still there you are probably being watched 📷 good luck
            TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
            s silver haze... strawberry haze...
            .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
            TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
            2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
            TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
            3 gallon pots all autos
            Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
            👇my one n only journal👇
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

You might look into "Freakshow" as it is breed for leaf deformities. In the end it will still look like fine buds, and get its own stench.

Comment

Heres an image I swiped.

Comment

I have grown Frisian duck (duck foot leaves) in Scandinavia outside. It can handle the cold a bit more and Its harvested quite early, short flowering time

as for the location I would do what MeEasy is suggesting, I did the same in Denmark, when I was living there.
                  Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
                  You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I think the smell will definitely be detectable but I also think getting enough sun will be an issue unless you clear out a lot of that brush which then you’ll have a visibility problem

Comment

Thanks.
                      I'm confident that I'll be able to clear enough brush around the plant to give enough sunlight and still make invisible from the lane.
                      When it becomes detectable in an olfactory way couldn't I just build a little tent of plastic sheeting around it or something?
                      10 inch (3 gallon) pots

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Well then you run into a mold problem if the plastic blocks the smell it also blocks air and sadly when the plant is smelliest it is also at the highest risk of mold from what I understand my advice would just be hope for the best weed has so many different fragrances now days half the time people don’t even know they’re smelling weed

Comment

"now days half the time people don’t even know they’re smelling weed"

Ha ha Kieftan! I was actually wondering about that...
                          And thanks for your tip about not encasing the baby in plastic sheeting!
                          10 inch (3 gallon) pots

Oscar Wilde

Comment

I'm with @MeEasy on this. Also add that your visits will create a trail to your plant and may be noticed by others, particularly so close to the trail. Way back in the 70s every bag came with plenty of seeds, and I became a Johnny Weed Seed, so every where I went I'd spread a little joy. I never took care of them. No "care trails" from visits. Some did not thrive, others did. Many suffered from four- and two-legged predators, including law enforcement. One time I saw them on TV where the police spokesman warned of a big cartel growing them! Ha! As long as I could come back at harvest time and find one grow secure and mature, I was happy. Plan to lose a lot.
                            2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
                            2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
                            2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
                            2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

I love your philosophical approach to growing wild weed, BaccaRacca!
                              I've been giving some thought to this problem of detection by odour (English spelling, sorry) and I've come up with a seed called Northern Lights which is supposed to be quite discreet on the old nostrils. So I've decided to proceed on this project and am now in possession of said seed. Here in the UK it will be safe to germinate and plant out in mid May. So watch this space...
                              10 inch (3 gallon) pots

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                              X