Outdoor grow question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor grow question

With az legalizing this past fall I've decided I want to put a few plants outside this year. But due to the way the law was written I have to worry about plant size, it can't grow above my 6-7' wall.

So what would the more experienced growers suggest for a smart pot size when the goal is to create some short wide bushes ideally no taller than 6'? Yes I will be topping and doing lst, lots and lots of lst 🤣

I've seen videos where they used 5 gallon pots but the plants looked stunted, and others using the massive 100+ gallon ones and those trees, while drool worthy, simply are more than I can get away with growing in my current situation.
    stoner, lapidary (a different kind of stoner https://forum.growweedeasy.com/core/...ies/tongue.png) and sometimes silversmith
    ~4' x ~4' x 7' grow box
    bloom plus LED 300W
    green crack 5 gallon dwc for the lulz
    Wifi og and snowcap dream in 5 gallon dwc still in the closet under some lame veg light

While I like to use 35 gallon grassroots fabric pots because I have no size limit, 12 gallon should be sufficient for shorter plants. I have grown some nice 51/2 and 6 foot plants in 12s. I live outside Tucson.

Comment

Hell bend it over LOL no really tie down the center cola?
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Matriumcauthon
        Matriumcauthon commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh shell be tied down plenty 🤣 i just don't want to cut myself short using too small a pot, or blow money on too big and the soil to fill it 🤣

Well hell just the fella I need to talk to then lol I'm up by Prescott. Any advice for making it through summer out here 🤣 im hoping the high elevation will help but we still get some hot days up here
      stoner, lapidary (a different kind of stoner https://forum.growweedeasy.com/core/...ies/tongue.png) and sometimes silversmith
      ~4' x ~4' x 7' grow box
      bloom plus LED 300W
      green crack 5 gallon dwc for the lulz
      Wifi og and snowcap dream in 5 gallon dwc still in the closet under some lame veg light

Comment

• Matriumcauthon
        Matriumcauthon commented
        Editing a comment
        i meant dan when i said fella hadnt seen your reply when i typed that lol all my other concerns about growing revolve around heat and the day to night temp swings we get down here

im up about 5000' here. i was considering attaching them to a milk crate so i can move them around incase of high winds or what not and not kill the grass and it would make for a convenient place to lst them to

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm just south of you at 4000' and my summer day temps average about 5 degrees warmer than yours. I'm flowering my first grow indoors. I want to go outside thru this summer too. Our summer heat is an issue but I think if you have a sunscreen or sail to protect them just during mid day heat they can do well. Not dark shade just about 60%. Strain will influence their ability to handle it too. A Mediterranean or Afgan would be advisable imo as they are more heat tolerant. Seedlings will definitely require shade for the first 4 weeks. I'm thinking sprout in late June, Veg thru August and they will be coming into flower in September and finish late October when it's a bit cooler and the days are shortening. Our low humidity is a problem too so careful attention to watering is necessary. I'm thinking that putting a 5 gal bucket of water next to them with a towel hanging out of it may help some. Nice to know I've got a next door neighbor!

• Matriumcauthon
        Matriumcauthon commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah my seeds are a bit of a crapshoot lol i just used what i had on hand. mostly freebies from my seedsman orders. luckily i tend to go for sativa dominate hybrids so hopefully my preference works in my favor here lol

Last year was the hottest year on record here and I had no shade. The plants did just fine in the sun no shade needed. The only time shade is needed during high temps is when there is high humidity also. Pot plants love the sun and as long as humidity stays below 40% you will not need shade. I have been doing this In Tucson 40 years and have never used shade. I have some Indica plants on garden carts so I can move them out of heavy monsoon rains that can break branches but this has not been a problem last 5 years. No rain unfortunately.

Comment

• desertdan
        desertdan commented
        Editing a comment
        On my first answer I meant 15 gallon not 12. sorry

• Matriumcauthon
        Matriumcauthon commented
        Editing a comment
        thats good to know, after baking a few plants last fall in my garage grow box i was a bit worried about the heat outside. garden cart is a brilliant idea, sadly little enough rain but we still get plenty of wind blowing through between the bradshaws and mingus ranges that i have to worry about.

Ok if your growing outside, why not dig a hole and fill it with good soil, then plant (for me that would take TNT and a jack hammer). This will get the plant lower by the height of the pot, then tie her down. Leave plenty of room between so you can keep them tied down and spread out. Indica's grow shorter bushes than Sativa's,

Comment

• Matriumcauthon
        Matriumcauthon commented
        Editing a comment
        im thinking about doing that with a couple autos, but for photos im trying not to let them get too big afraid i wouldnt be able to keep them all tied down in ground lol that and something i read about soil with lots of clay being a problem... and well even in our garden beds with good soil if you go down 2-3 feet you hit clay

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X