Mixing Photos and Autos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing Photos and Autos

Is it advisable to mix photos and autos in the same indoor grow? Is there a downside for doing so? Will changing the light schedule negatively impact the autos?
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Autos can grow in 12/12 just fine but I prefer a minimum of 18 on. I know we have a few growers that have both growing in their grow rooms now. Hopefully they chime in and give you some more insight.
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

I grew both in my grow room. I veg my photos for 8wks at 18/6 with the autos then switched to 12/12. Can't say I had a situation with my autos.
      Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
      Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
      Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
      Full auto grow
      Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
      12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• dilvish
        dilvish commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. I just did Alaskan Purple photos and an auto NL. The NL typically likes lots of light, hence the name, so the switch to 12/12 from 18/6 didn't harm it but may have slightly stunted the growth. Having said that she still produced some good fat buds.

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        And the NL's smoke is not bad either.

I dig your new avatar there OldManGrower yes sir i do. Anyhoo......I would of started the autos first 18/6 veg them as you decide when you want to 12/12 i would start those autos at 18/6 i let mine go into flower the autos for 3wks prior to flipping photos 12/12 came out fine. But i would of rather had the autos further along in flower. So when i do it again i will grow them autos out give them at least 30days if not more of flowering then switch to 12/12 with the photos. Make sense?
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• OldManGrower
        OldManGrower commented
        Editing a comment
        I was pretty sure that if anyone caught my new avatar, it would be you. Sort of represents me and my long strange trip. I am going to follow your advice and start two photos two weeks ahead of three autos. I think this ought to do it.

Great question OldManGrower! I'm planning my next grow right now, and I want to mix autos & photos.
      I'm a living soil/photo grower with zero autoflower experience so this is terra incognita for me. As usual, I feel compelled to complicate things just to make it interesting.

My idea was to start the autos 24/0 or 18/6 and veg them for a month. Then add newly germinated photos and let them veg for six weeks under the same light schedule right next to the maturing autos. By that time the autos will be 10 weeks old and should be close to harvest. The photos at six weeks will be about ready for the 12/12 flowering switch.

So the entire auto grow would be under full veg lighting and after the auto harvest the photos can move into flower mode.

Seems like everybody gets what they need. Or am I missing something important?
      My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
      I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
      Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• OlderNOTwiser
        OlderNOTwiser commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty much where you are at the moment. I have three autoflowers that are at 14 days +/- 2 days. I have two 5 gallon bags "cooking" with Earth Dust. One had a failed grow and has been treated for a month now. The second was started a few days ago. When the smallest auto appears to be coming out of the baby stage and actually looks like a proper plant I'll drop the photo beans. (Right now that looks like this weekend.) The autos are all supposed to be 63 - 65 days. I'm planning for 70 - 75. If the photos take a few days to sprout and a week in the Solo cup the autos should be approaching 28 days or so. With that in mind I'm reckoning the photo plants should be ready for flip right about harvest for the autos. I don't want the autos to have to deal with the 12/12 if I don't have to.
        Last edited by OlderNOTwiser; 03-29-2021, 10:48 AM. Reason: grammar...sheesh.

when my photos are done in 3 to 4 weeks I am planning on growing 8 autos so I can keep lights on 18/6 and fill in all extra space with photos until end of May
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

I hope i had explained my prior post well enough? But that's what i mean.....get those autos well ahead of the vegging photos first would be my plan. Running them with the photos at 18/6 is best with the photos vegging. I'd like to see mine run this way then when autos are in last 2wks of flower flip the 12/12 it won't hurt the yield.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X