Nice legs, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice legs, but....

Hi, I'm new to the forum and also new to this weed-growing game, (so be gentle!)

I did a bit of homework before kicking off and first and foremost made sure I bought seeds from a recommended reputable source. And, of course, I've been trawling the internet like crazy for growing advice.

I bought a couple of autos "Purple" and "Blueberry". (indica and sativa)

Took one seed of each, (baptised them Prunella and Blodwyn), and both germinated like a dream in just a few days in water/tissue. Planted them indoors into pots under 600W lights on a 16 hour cycle in a constant 21 Celsius, and they've shot up. The photo shows Day 4 (Blodwyn on left, Prunella on right)

But I'm worried they're too leggy! Aren't they just growing too tall too quickly and if continuing like this won't they keel over and die?

So put me out of my misery - do these girls have any chance of survival?

600W LEDs (when growing indoors)
    70% John Innes #3 compost. 15% Perlite. 15% coir
    10 inch (3 gallon) pots

"I can resist everything, except temptation"
    Oscar Wilde

Hi, welshweed. Welcome to GWE.

Leggy seedlings is a sign that they want some more light. Lower the light down closer to them and leave lights on 24hr until there are 2 or 3 pairs of true leaves.

As for surviving...you can put more soil around the base of the seedlings to help. Just try not to water right at the base of the stem as it could cause stem rot.

At the top of the page is a link for “Growing Basics”. It’s a great resource to help new growers get started and put you on a path to success. 👍
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

They are pretty leggy and that's normally a sign that they're stretching for more light. I normally grow outdoors but due to some crappy weather recently I was nursing them along under inadequate lighting. Started my grow in the beginning of March and they got leggy so I added a CFL to the light show and now they're filling in nicely. Weather has improved in recent days so they've been getting some field trips to the patio for sun. Try a bit more light and they should turn around. If at all possible try and give them some natural light and see how that works.

Comment

Hi welshweed
        Welcome, loved your post. You're doing fine so far. YYCannabis has you covered with the leggy plants. Keep us updated, I had to attach the tune..from one of the first albums I ever bought.

Last edited by JeffInCanada; 03-27-2021, 05:42 PM.
        Past Grows: Jack 47 Auto - La Bella Afrodita - Black Cream and Cheese Autos
        I like weed and science.

Comment

Yup...move the light closer. Some light brands have recommended distances listed (like ViparSpectra). The good rule of thumb is 24 inches from the top of the canopy. If it's a crappy light, they could already be that distance so now you are faced with the fact that the light you got isn't "full spectrum". There are a lot of crappy lights out there on the market.

Having said all this you should add at least another 2 hours to your timing. Autos can grow just fine on 16/8 (or less) but the extra hours promote healthier plants as light = food.The switch to lnger hours doesn't need to happen until at least the first set of full leaves.

You are planning to move them to bigger pots in a couple of weeks, yes?
          I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Overwhelmed by your feedback, chaps! Thank you - and following your advice as given.

Yes, dilvish. Will be moving them on. I may need advice on when to do this!

A supplementary question:

They're growing in an attic bedroom with a skylight window above which I've opened ajar. Is that sufficient airflow or should I consider plugging in a fan?
            Last edited by welshweed; 03-27-2021, 04:33 PM.
            600W LEDs (when growing indoors)
            70% John Innes #3 compost. 15% Perlite. 15% coir
            10 inch (3 gallon) pots

"I can resist everything, except temptation"
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

• JDU
              JDU commented
              Editing a comment
              You'll definitely want at least 2 fans

• dilvish
              dilvish commented
              Editing a comment
              if the airflow is good with the window and the plants have plenty of "airy" space then no fan is required if you are keeping the room at 21C. Fans circulate the air so there are not hotspots for heat or humidity and are effective at deterring pests like spider mites. if your heat is low and so is the humidity then a fan is not crucial

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X