Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HLG 100 Rspec setup - what distances are safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HLG 100 Rspec setup - what distances are safe?

Hey everyone! I could use some input from growers with LED experience - I'm starting my first grow (germinating right now) and I'm working roughly from this tutorial on GWE, although my tent is a foot taller for some wiggle room. https://www.growweedeasy.com/mini-gr...led-grow-light

I could only afford one light right now, so, per the tutorial advice, I bought this one: https://horticulturelightinggroup.co.../hlg-100-rspec

In my manual (which you can download at that link if you want to see it) it says the light should have at least 12" of space between its top and whatever it's hanging from. In my grow journal thread where I was grousing about some tent setup issues. MrPNW (thank you for your thoughtful comments!) pointed out that I could hang it differently so I could get more vertical space since it's so thin, and when I went back to the tutorial, sure enough, it does look like the light went all the way to the top of the tent in that grow!

Now I do have that extra foot of height in my tent, so I hadn't been concerned about it, but it would be nice to have the space for plants to get a bit taller and avoid potential light stress! Does anyone have any experience with using this light or similar designs closer to the top of the tent? I unfortunately definitely can't afford any more equipment at this point, so I gotta work with what I have.

Coolgrows 2x2x4
    HLG 100 Rspec
    AC Infinity Cloudline S4 + carbon filter
    Smart pots with coco/perlite & GH trio +CaliMagic
    Auto White Widow x1
    Auto Northern Lights x1
    Auto Lemon Kix x1

​​​​​
    Last edited by paladinkit; 03-26-2021, 10:34 AM. Reason: Fixing typos

Goodmorning congrats on the new light. That will be fine for 3 autos in your size tent, those are higher end lights come at a big price so i totally get it. Now you know if you don't already know that light only draws 95watts from the wall. If it comes with the yo yo stringers i would be cautious to begin with and hang it no lower than 18" to begin. If you see light bleaching spots on leaf it's too close raise higher. Good luck and keep on asking the questions.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thank you so much for the advice! I wanna upgrade my grow size eventually, but I need to make sure I don't hate growing first lol (nvm finding discreet space for a bigger tent).

Do you have any experience or opinions on how close to the *top* of the tent it's safe to put the light, for fire hazard reasons rather than plant light stress reasons? I'm trying to decide if it's worth moving the fan outside of the tent (cons: noise!) if it gains me a little more head room with the light.

Here's a pic of how I rigged the inside top of my tent yesterday for reference. I also had some struggles with where to put the driver (this cord is incredibly short!) but on reviewing Nebula's photos from the tutorial build I'm using, I'm going to reconfigure at least my driver suspension setup if it's not unsafe to just put the driver on top of the board like that.

Here's my grow setup so far
      Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210325_230430578.NIGHT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.09 MB ID:	502098

Here's one of Nebula's photos showing this light in use (from the link in my first post)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	hydro-dwc-mini-tent-sm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	502097

Last edited by paladinkit; 03-26-2021, 10:48 AM. Reason: Changing paragraph breaks for clarity

Comment

I have an HLG 650R and I had to move it as close as 6-8" from the top of the tent. Did not have any issues. That being said, is your driver not getting very hot? No concerns with that resting on the tent?

Comment

AFChicago I haven't set it up that way yet! The photos with the driver on top of the board are Nebula's, it looks like she's done several grows configured that way based on the photos in the tutorial I linked in my first post. I really appreciate you sharing your experience!

Comment

That fixture will grow a single nice plant.
            I use a V1qb in my veg/mother tent(5 sq ft).
            It can run as much as 130 watts, but for veg, I run it at 75 watts@20".
            All of the qb style fixtures I run seem to give the most uniformity across the space when I keep at least 18" above the canopy.
            WHAT???
            5x5 grow space
            900w of Vero's and F-strips
            4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

That light is good for one plant definitely not a 2x4. Save up for this one https://horticulturelightinggroup.co...-qb-v2-led-kit

Comment

• paladinkit
                paladinkit commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a 2x2 floorspace 4 feet of height. I'm saving up for the gear for a 2x4 floorspace but not this grow.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X