Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When it turns out your expert mate isnt so experty...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it turns out your expert mate isnt so experty...

Hey all First time post long time lurker.... and im a bit lost for what to do.

My "mate" who has been giving me advice all the way through has never grown anything close to mould in his fridge and has been getting all his knowledge from the Internets. Ive been doing what his says and now my 2 plants look well......wrong.

Last year I lost 2 plants due to the people next door to me spraying glyphosate everywhere... not sure if that was on purpose. but those plants were from the same batch of seeds (white widow) and were green, thick, healthy and smelt of the good stuff early on.

This year i have 2 going ok, but the look stringy and sick. There is next to no smell and I know i had some light burn due to some hot run of days over the last few days. Under my mates advice i have trimmed back a lot of the leaves to allow more light in and removed all the yellowing ones.

They have been looking like this for the last 2 weeks and i have been watching for the tris to change colour but haven't seen much happen but for more leaves to turn yellow.

Anyway any advice to save them?

First thing that comes to mind is that you have some seriously wet soil with from what I can see nothing in it to aid in drainage. The pail you are growing in also appears to be on the small side. My guess is that the roots are suffocating.

Comment

Glyphosate is the generic name for round-up. It has to be sprayed on actively growing green parts of a plant to be absorbed. It attacks the nervous system of the plant all the way to the roots, killing it. Very light spray carried by wind can be enough to sicken a plant if it doesn’t kill it. Chances of it being the problem this year is probably not. Unless they were out spraying again.

Equipment
      5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
      ———————————————————————————————————-
      1st Grow
      Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
      Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
      Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

Originally posted by crucialbunny View Post
        First thing that comes to mind is that you have some seriously wet soil with from what I can see nothing in it to aid in drainage. The pail you are growing in also appears to be on the small side. My guess is that the roots are suffocating.
        I have drilled holes in the bottom of those buckets. Im fairly sure they drain quite well as i have had days where the soil is dead dry. But i do believe they are way too small (mates advice- nam man thats all they need). Do you think getting them into something bigger at this stage would help?

Originally posted by MrPNW View Post
        Glyphosate is the generic name for round-up. It has to be sprayed on actively growing green parts of a plant to be absorbed. It attacks the nervous system of the plant all the way to the roots, killing it. Very light spray carried by wind can be enough to sicken a plant if it doesn’t kill it. Chances of it being the problem this year is probably not. Unless they were out spraying again.
        Last year my 2 plants died in a week, so were directly sprayed. This time they have been in a different spot where they cant get to them, tho it did expose them to more sun in the heat of summer

Comment

• crucialbunny
          crucialbunny commented
          Editing a comment
          I probably could have been a bit clearer when referring to drainage. My apologies. What I was trying to say is that the soil seems very dense. Most people who grow in containers use either perlite, vermiculite, or coarse sand in their grow medium to help let water flow through it and allow oxygen to the roots via fresh oxygenated water. When soil is dense and muddy water can stagnate, lose its oxygen and cause a myriad of root issues that hinder plant growth. Your plants look like they are fairly deep into bud now so I'm not sure if they would benefit from larger containers but it is food for thought in your future grows.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X