Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advice from more experienced growers before starting my second.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice from more experienced growers before starting my second.

I have trouble being succinct, so feel free to skip this thread completely. I'll do my best not to ramble, but won't blame those that don't read this one.

My first grow

I've been saving every bag seed I've found for over a decade. Had an especially seedy batch a couple years ago that was littered with them, so when quarantine hit I decided I'd do a seat of my pants experiment and maybe learn a few things along the way. Took a handful and threw them in some miracle grow I had laying around, then put the CFL daylight bulb I bought for painting miniatures (Nerd!) over them. Eventually culled all but one, and got this for flowering : https://www.amazon.com/CANAGROW-Spec...1044169&sr=8-4
    She didn't yield much, but the knowledge gained was definitely worth it.

I've been reading tons since then and I think I'm finally ready for a more serious attempt. I was hoping just one of you might not mind hearing my plans/checking my shopping list and letting me know what you might do in my situation.

What I already have

What I had and have slowly been piecemealing together for my next attempt.

Mars Hydro TS600
    timer
    cheap Honeywell temp/RH monitor
    9" Honeywell fan
    6" no name USB fan
    2 bags of FFOF
    bag of perlite
    5 three gallon fabric pots
    Ball mason jars
    loupe

My shopping list

tent
    fan/carbon filter
    some sort of intake filter
    nutrients
    cal/mag
    risers/saucers
    pH/PPM meter
    pH up/down kit
    garden ties
    surge protector/power cord
    smoke detector
    seeds

Why I'm doing this

Sure, I'd love to grow copious amounts of exotic buds, but more than anything this is cathartic for me. I only say this because I've probably spent too much time reading Reddit while doing my research.

Questions about specific shopping list items

Nutrients : I was leaning towards the FF trio at first, but really like the idea of Nectar for the Gods One Shot because it lessens the chance I'll be screwing it up. Is there any huge downside to this? I've read some plants can be a bit sensitive when it comes to time released nutes.

Intake filter : I've seen people cut AC, charcoal, or hammock filters, and even use truck cold air intake cones. Honestly would just like to hear what you use if you made it this far, haha.

My biggest concern

Pests : My first grow was all in my closet, and I had zero problems. This time I'll be more than likely putting the tent in the basement, which definitely has more creepy crawlies. Nothing insane, but it still makes me shiver thinking about the spiders and silverfish and such that I have seen down there. I'd really prefer to not have to use something like neem oil if I can avoid it, however pests seems fairly common, especially in basements/cellars. Any special precautions besides a clean area, negative pressure, and maybe putting the tent on a pallet?

My original vs current plans

Originally I planned on getting just a 32" x 32" tent and a 4" AC Infinity fan and filter. Was going to put a Barney's Farm auto into one or two of the 3 gallon pots with FFOF and perlite. Planned on using the bulb from my first grow as supplemental light. I managed to get the TS600 for a really good sale price last November and have been thinking of grabbing another, which would be a total of 200W for slightly less than the price of a TS1000. I was worried about temperatures if I did this, both because I've read that Mars Hydro lights tend to get hot and the fact that the TS600 has no driver that could be moved outside the tent. They don't have dimmer switches or daisy chains, either. That was going to be one of the things I was going to ask about when I first made this account, but....

Now, I'm not saying I do or don't live in NY state, where cannabis possession and cultivation are illegal. That state is finalizing legislation to legalize it and sign it as early as next week, though. So...you may or may not see my dilemma. Which brings me to...

My barrage of random questions

Would you upgrade to a 24" x 48" tent, grab another TS600 (or other simlar light) and bag of FFOF (or maybe happy frog this time? I've read ocean forest can be tough on seedlings) for a third plant? Two bags for four? I could potentially go up to a 48" x 48", although I'm trying to keep my budget fairly modest for this grow.

I have read about negative pressure, but I'll admit it's still over my head. From what I understand a 4" AC Infinity fan should be big enough for a 2' x 4' or even a 4' x 4'. Does that sound right?

I just have a bunch of fan questions in general : Does it run constantly? How dirty does it get in veg without the filter? Are the automatic ones with the temp/humidity controller worth the extra cost?

If you were me and wanted to get the 24" x 48" now and then add a 32" x 32" later as a veg tent, would you buy a 6" fan now in anticipation? Another 4" in the future as an intake? I'm still leaning towards some autos with reputable genetics for a grow or two, but I do like the idea of eventually popping some of the bag seed I have in future runs. The idea of searching for some mother plants in a bunch of unknown strains is pretty exciting.

Conclusion

Yeah, this was me trying to be succinct...I made a post on Reddit last year when growing my first girl, and immediately regretted it, so this was about a year's worth of thoughts I had to get out lol. If you made it this far, I'm impressed. If you read any of it at all, I appreciate it. Any suggestions at all would be really helpful. Thanks.

Hi LabradorLids first id like to welcome you to the neighborhood. Reading your post is alot like listening to my brain lol everytime I think I've made up my mind I throw in another question 🙃 I'll start with the fan this seems to be a big part of your concern. I have three tents 2 2x4s and a 4x4

I have a 6" ac infinity in the 4x4 and wouldn't suggest going smaller than that in a 4x4 I also have a 6" ac intake fan pushing air into the 4x4 because if i turned the exhaust above half power the tent looked like it was going to implode I might end up with a second intake on the other side of the same tent just to have air coming in on both sides plus the intake fans don't have the same cfm as exhaust and can't keep up. As for filters I like the G hydro filters they seem to keep the smell down a little better than the vivosun and I-power which are the only others I've tried.

In the 2x4s I have 4" exhaust and just passive intake. One has an I-power 4" with a separate speed controller it's a great fan but nowhere near as quiet as the ac fan. The other tent has a vivosun 4" with a built-in speed control. This fan has some kind of pressure control or something but it doesn't move enough air and will need to be replaced. I'll probably get a 4" ac just because I really like the 6" I have. As for the heat/ humidity controller I've yet to try them but I know alot of people are using them. I wouldn't mind having something that would increase the fan speed as the temperature or humidity gets to high but I don't like the idea of ever having the fan off. I like the fresh air flowing constantly.

I would suggest buying a larger tent right away if you are thinking you'll want to expand later because you'll end up with 4 or 5 tents while only using 2. You can always make a cardboard divider with mylar and only use half of your 4x4 until you buy a bigger or more light.

Hope this helps, good luck and feel free to @ me with any questions (put an @ in front of anyone's name) I'll try to answer or point you to a person or place for answers.
    TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
    s silver haze... strawberry haze...
    .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
    TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
    2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
    TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
    3 gallon pots all autos
    Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
    👇my one n only journal👇
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

Also in New York. The legislation that may be passed later today is a good thing and a burden. For home growers it gives us plenty of room...as in 3 "mature" plants and 3 "immature". No clue what that will mean if anything. The pisser is they want us to wait an additional 18 months AFTER they get the dispensary network set up and profitable to the state. So that translates to two to three additional years. Yea, right. I guess I'll pack up my gear, empty my jars and wait until the next Governor says it is time to start.

As for the rest of your tiny little oh so constrained post...Just kidding. I was like that a couple years ago. I've since realized a little knowledge is indeed dangerous. A lot of knowledge can be paralyzing. I have a 3 x 3 x 6 tent and I grow for me only. A couple CBD and a couple THC at a time.
      TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
      EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
      AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
      IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

Comment

Ask Frido & his bro they got all the answers LOL don't make it complicated on yourself. I bet Cow Moo is that how you spell it? The gov. of NY will just about pass anything to gain the popular vote.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Welcome and happy farming!
          Last edited by Catfish22; 03-25-2021, 10:37 AM.
          2X4X6 Quictent
          1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
          600w LED (80)
          1000w LED (180)
          2 X Viparspectra P-1000
          2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
          6" battery/usb fans
          Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
          GH trio with Calimagic
          Lung room humidifier
          3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
          ArmorSi, kelp when needed
          Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
          Northern Lights auto
          (Seedsman)
          auto 00 Kush
          (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
          2x Northern lights auto
          1 auto 00 Kush
          1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
          Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

Welcome to GWE!
            To answer some of your questions. Like MeEasy suggested, the ac infinity t6 would be a better option. I use the T8 in my 5x5. And yes I think the ac infinity fans with the temp and humidity control are worth every penny. With them your fan doesn't run non stop. As your tent heats up the fan will automatically turn on and off, same with humidity. I run the carbon filter the whole grow.
            As for tents get the biggest one you can fit and lights that can cover the whole footprint. This hobby is addictive and you'll want to upgrade out of the small tent.
            ​​​​​​​Enjoy and happy growing!
            5x5 Gorilla tent
            Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
            Infinity T8 exhaust fan
            Technaflora nutes
            Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

I'd suggest just sticking to a budget and work your way through issues as they arise and you gain more experience. Just remember the basics. A good PH meter, easy to use and follow nutrients, proper watering schedule and plenty of full spectrum light is all you really need.

I'm no pro, and I don't have a lot of fancy equipment. Just a decent light, a small bedroom, some GH Flora Nutrients and a good PH pen. I don't monitor CO2 or humidity and my room temp is around 24C. My plants are small because I want them to be but they yield fat buds that are potent. As an example I just grew a Northern Lights in a 2.5 gallon pot and it couldn't have been more than 18 inches in any direction but I got almost 50 grams off the plant!

I have grown 5 different strains in the past 2 years and the set up worked for all of them.

I find the biggest mistake most new growers face is impatience, including me, once upon a time. Weed takes time to grow and during that time you educate yourself on how to grow it to the best of your ability and circumstances. Getting the best equipment means spit if you rush the grow and subsequently growing in a closet with a hardware store light bulb is doable but the outcome for all that time spent doesn't seem worth it.

Find a middle ground and work from there. happy growing
              I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X