Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VOTE: Forum, Grower, User...Age Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Day , I'm 69 ,first generation hippie. Started with Mexican dirt weed (stones and sticks} in 68, 2 yrs in Europe{ Amsterdam Hash 50 cents/gram} , to growing outdoor autos since 2017

Comment

Not too many votes yet, but there does already seem to be a trend toward the older and wiser folks. Kind of makes sense, the older you are the more likely you are to be retired, and this hobby takes a lot of time! Obviously that’s just a generalization, and I’m sure lots of the older folks around here still work day jobs.

I myself am 34. After playing and hanging with my kids and taking care of family duties, my growing takes up a lot of the little free time I have left, but I love it so it’s great!
      Last edited by Rik; 03-25-2021, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Catfish22
        Catfish22 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, I'm retired on disability and also a retired vet.
        I really enjoy this activity, there are people here who know more than I ever will and thankfully are willing to share their knowledge with anyone who asks respectfully. Thanks from an older guy to all y'all!

• MrPNW
        MrPNW commented
        Editing a comment
        I double that Catfish22. Not a single one of my forum questions went unanswered during my entire first grow. And I noticed the GWE articles are constantly being updated. I’ll read an article, then sometime later go back to read again and notice something discussed here in the forums has been added.

Right on Rik , I worked to age 70 before I retired even tho I didn't have to, just enjoyed staying in the game. Good job on the Family First...Always! I am hoping the votes will continue to roll in as a couple hundred votes would give a more accurate picture. I am a little perplexed by the 70's group; I can't be the oldest member here can I? Yes, that one vote is mine. I'm sort of hoping the 75 in that "annoying Aussie" newbutoldgrower75 is his age so I don't feel so bad. It's lonely at the top, lol! I see there are 3 times as many views as votes so c'mon folks don't be shy, be proud! It's not just the ballots either, the comments have been very candid and interesting. I think this is one of the funnest polls I've seen yet so help us keep it going, please!
      Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
      Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
      Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
      Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
      Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
      i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
      My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
      make pH correction unnecessary
      Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
      8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
      Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
      Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
        newbutoldgrower75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha.."that annoying aussie" and "its lonely at the top" had me in stitches with laughter buddy. Thank you for the laugh, really needed it. I'm sorry to say that you are stuck at the top by yourself at the moment, 75 was the year I was born. But if age was determined by the way you physically feel..I'm definitely around 95 lol.

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        I am sorry about your ill health sir and hope time will help you to regain strength and well being! A year ago this month I had a heart attack which required a quadruple bypass and I'm still not as strong as I was before that so I can relate to your issue. Hang in there, you're still young enough to make a come back. I've had to change my diet a lot by giving up some favorite foods and doing aerobics and weight training. Things I should have started at your age and before so keep pushing forward no matter what. It's all good!

• newbutoldgrower75
        newbutoldgrower75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, I really appreciate your kind words. I'm slowly regaining my strength I, just need to learn to take it easy as I have been pushing myself a bit hard since I have been out of hospital. But after being stuck in hospital for so long, there was so many things I had to get done and wanted to do. So sorry to hear about your heart attack and surgery. But so glad you are still here to chat and help out us more inexperienced growers, it is greatly appreciated. I have also had to change my diet, and have started using the epi trainer every second day. Which isn't a bad thing for me, after covid19 lock downs and being in hospital for months at a time, I was pretty unfit and needed to lose some weight haha. Will definitely keep pushing forward..and growing of course lol. Thank you again.

I’m turning 29 in April. No kids. I support myself and my close family by growing full time and selling cannabis flowers and oils. Takes a lot of time every single day to move plants around. Water them (40 to 60liters per day). Harvest. Trimming. Washing coco. Transplanting. Discarding used coco. It’s a full time job that starts early with the sun. It’s good money but it’s not easy money. Not for lazy people

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Man 9fingerleafs do what you love love what you do. Dream job for so many and they think it's easy. It's the hardest work of all farming and keeping crops healthy. One season can blow you down and so many startups i've seen along the roadways in rural communities don't realize the work and $$$$ it takes or don't know how to grow weed or understand it's needs. I totally appriciate what you do and the medicine you create, i've seen your posts and labor working the plantings of the seedlings. I hope you have a great season of good weather this year

• MrPNW
        MrPNW commented
        Editing a comment
        Good on you for making it your living. Keep it up.
        I’ve never given so much attention to a plant in all my years of yard work and even the bonsai hobby in my past and I only had 3 on my first grow. The is a very finicky weed.

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your kind comments. I do love to be able to live off of this. I’m also hoping for a good year weather wise. No hurricanes 🙏plzzzz

Man, Its like hanging out at the senior center on bingo night around here!

B-1

HAHAHA!
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• JeffInCanada
        JeffInCanada commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha Yes, it is...shake your balls...please call O-69!! Grow Weed Easy There, You May Break Your Hip.

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, I like Bingo, especially if the stakes are good and they will serve me a beer if I want one. If I could just find a place where I could light up too, lol! Have to Uber home tho. And I already broke my hip when I was 50 and had it replaced twice in one year but who's counting. Worst part of that was it ended my backpacking days in the Cascades of Oregon. OK, enough bleeding on you, I've had a good life so far and reminiscing with friends is a great way to become acquainted is it not? I believe we are building a real community here... and it's global! That's an awesome thing! Peace !!

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        @tokeabigone I'm not beyond a good game of bingo especially if were gonna discuss cannabis.

I-19

I wish we had a senior center as open minded to discuss the values of MJ not just for the 20somethings to get high with it's the medical end that seniors i know discuss but very few.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        You do SoOrbudgal, you do ! You're on it right now. It's a virtual senior center but we are real and our avatars are not our faces but an expression of our souls. Few of us has seen the others physical face and it doesn't matter because our true selves are exposed and shared. It's fun right?

Turned 50 last year, born in 70, don’t claim to be a boomer, I’m more gen X we had sex drugs and rock n roll in the 80’s. I have guerilla grew my whole life. But since my state passed legal I have taught myself how to grow indoors. And believe it or not last summer was my first legal outdoor grow, and I still felt unsettled looking at the plants in the daylight. And was much more comfortable around them when it was dark. It was a strange feeling.
      4x4 flower tent
      sour dream
      Blue Diesel
      Trainwreck
      platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
      Green Dream
      Sour Dream
      blue dream
      Freakshow

Comment

• MrPNW
        MrPNW commented
        Editing a comment
        Paranoia, sounds like Sativa early harvest, LOL. Boomers are 46-64, so you’re certainly gen x. 80, fun music, big, BIG hair.

Turning 32 soon! It's definitely a necessity for me rather than a luxury for free time like I've seen mentioned as a theory for the age distribution? I simply don't have reliable access to daily meds unless I figure out how to grow my own (first grow in progress, fingers crossed.)
      Last edited by paladinkit; 03-25-2021, 06:40 PM. Reason: Fixed a word I forgot!

Comment

Wow it looks like my bracket just took a big lead since I looked last. 51 votes in just over a day.

Equipment
      5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
      ———————————————————————————————————-
      1st Grow
      Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
      Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
      Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        MrPNW, kinda cool to see how it has developed since last night huh. 24 hours ago the graph looked like a parabola with 50's in the middle, now it's a straight line positive progression up to 70, then it drops to only me. Very interesting don't you think? I'm not sure what to think about it. Where are all the old hippies, lol? Did everyone but me go straight?

Maybe we should simplify the age band breakdown..Did you have to use one of these in school or not? (lol)---still have mine!
      I can still remember the price of my first hand held Texas Instruments calculator...$458.00

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3009.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.70 MB ID:	502040
      "That's your fortress of fucking solitude. That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fuck you. Somebody wants you to do something, fuck you. Boss pisses you off, fuck you! Own your house. Have a couple bucks in the bank. Don't drink"

Comment

• MrPNW
        MrPNW commented
        Editing a comment
        The slide rule was the predecessor to the calculator. My mother worked for Texas Instruments in Fort Worth when the first handheld calculator was created in 1967, so we were some of the first kids to be using them.
        I hated math, but excelled in Science, Geography and English. I also loved taking things apart to see how they worked, and could usually put them back together. I did that with a frog once, formaldehyde to put him to sleep, looked around inside, sewed him up, but he never woke up and got a special funeral, my sister attended.

• TheKieftan
        TheKieftan commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve never even seen one of those my age group used smart boards and my younger sisters actually got a lot better just a few years later they had tablets with digital versions of textbooks so no carrying 20 pounds of books around

• GreenState
        GreenState commented
        Editing a comment
        It is a relic , think I had a choice of about 2 scientific calculators brands when I went to college, TI or HP was about it.
        My roomy had an HP, can remember it had a game built into it, I was jealous with my TI (vbg)

66 here. Planted my first seed in 72' Got my first buds in 73'. I bought my little ranchito 30 years ago to grow great bud. I knew then that good weed would be getting harder to get and much more expensive. Been doing a guerilla grow on my own property all these years. Now finally We are legal here and I can grow a proper real grow. Instead of hiding in the trees with all the bugs. If I had to buy weed for my household from the dispo it would cost us about $8,000 a year and get crappy weed too. Now I can grow more than we can use in a year for less than $800. Good real landrace sativa is very hard to find , so I grow my own and it is excellent. My favorite.

Comment

• desertdan
        desertdan commented
        Editing a comment
        Correction, $8,000 is for black or gray market weed. Dispo cost would be closer to $12,000. Gray market is grown legal and sold out the back door or fell off the truck.

• YYCannabis
        YYCannabis commented
        Editing a comment
        My medical prescription would cost me $3600-$5000 per year. My first grow setup and operating expenses immediately paid for itself in one harvest. Been saving money ever since by growing my own. The $$ saved has been sunk back into my home (renovations) and helped pay off debt.

LOL same here desertdan i'm so happy learning indoor growing from GWE. I do love my outdoor garden but the indoor i'm becoming very fond of. It's keeping it that's the issue.......i'm learning to hide a jar and not open it when family & friends drop by.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• desertdan
        desertdan commented
        Editing a comment
        I usually grow enough to give some to friends but the hash is hard to keep enough to last.

If I honestly know an original hippie chick over 80 that grows, would that count?
      2X4X6 Quictent
      1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
      600w LED (80)
      1000w LED (180)
      2 X Viparspectra P-1000
      2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
      6" battery/usb fans
      Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
      GH trio with Calimagic
      Lung room humidifier
      3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
      ArmorSi, kelp when needed
      Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
      Northern Lights auto
      (Seedsman)
      auto 00 Kush
      (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
      2x Northern lights auto
      1 auto 00 Kush
      1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
      Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

Damn Catfish22, Ask her if you can vote for her if she is not on here and relate a little of her story. We need it for the archives, lol! Besides it's starting to scare me to be the eldest person reporting!

Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          Being the eldest just means you’ll need to be the Neighborhood Watch.

• JeffInCanada
          JeffInCanada commented
          Editing a comment
          And, we come to you for all kinds of advice, loans till payday, borrow the car, watch our kids...that type of stuff. No biggie

Awww Mann, just when I thought I was done with all that stuff and had time to myself JeffInCanada and MrPNW, You guys want to make me work again, lol. Actually I'm starting to get inspired to write another book. How about 'Sixty Years of Cannabis - High History' as a working title? Hippies, Free Love , Woodstock, Drug Wars; plenty of material for sure including all the stories that could come from this forum and from Sirius and Nebula about the start of GWE and the growth of the forum. Hmmm I might give this some serious thought....might take me the rest of my time just to compile all the material. Maybe I'll start my outline tomorrow...OK, I'm out of smoke so I'm gonna go clip an immature bud and quick decarb so I can dream about it. Did it a couple weeks ago and got a nice little buzz, lol!

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          Click on the blue and white head icon following the number to see the list of names for that entry. Looks like kingfish joined you.

• TheKieftan
          TheKieftan commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats on not being alone anymore TOKABIGONE the other 71+ is kingfish

• TOKABIGONE
          TOKABIGONE commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey TheKieftan and MrPNW, 'It ain't me babe', kingfish finally fessed up. He is 6 months older than me. I feel much better now, lol!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X