Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VOTE: Forum, Grower, User...Age Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOTE: Forum, Grower, User...Age Question?

It has occurred to me that a lot of Forum members and Guests seem to be of the "Boomer" generation both here in the US and internationally. I thought it might be interesting to find out what the average age is of folks who grow and use our favorite medicine, come here for information or just to be helpful to others with our common interest. I discovered this site just a few months ago and became a member when I found such a wealth of info both on the main site and also here on the forum where so many are so kind, helpful, friendly and willing to share what they've learned. It is a unique place in those respects. I hope you will participate honestly, answer the age poll and leave comments as well. Please if you are under age 18, we love you but, do not participate. Thanks all!

PS: I'm 73 and this is my first grow indoors. I tried to Guerilla Grow on public land in the early 80's but quit after being ripped off twice! After that I had to go to the corner which was never fun.

Age 18 to 30
    7.45%
    Age 31 to 40
    15.96%
    Age 41 to 50
    21.28%
    Age 51 to 60
    23.40%
    Age 61 to 70
    27.66%
    Age 71 to 80
    4.26%
    Age 81 and up, May God Bless You !!
    0%
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

I'm 67 old boomer and still alive and kicking.... Ok forget the kicking part.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

Honestly I was shocked when I noticed how many grandpas are in this forum I thought old people were all religious and hated weed because it was the devil’s lettuce

Comment

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        TheKieftan Did you mention religion lolll

Here kiddo look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIYwlD9MqiQ

• TheKieftan
        TheKieftan commented
        Editing a comment
        Farmbuck I got a good laugh out of that but I think you’ll only find things like that in California religion is a lot like fabric it’s normally made from local materials woven together religion is like a fabric made of people and if the people grew up seeing the positive effects of cannabis it’d be hard for them to hate it just because they’re religious now I hope we have something like this in Oklahoma in the future might get me back in church lol

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        TheKieftan Ain't gonna happen here lolll my neighbour, a very very religious old lady swear it's the work of the devil lolll If she would knew about me lollll

This is a question that comes up every few years - I like the way farmbuck answered - more fun that way instead of voting

I'm 64 - type1 diabetic - been growing since I retired from the federalis 7 years ago. Wife suggested it for her before bed tokes.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        You know Canuck147 my neighbours are very religious and she almost had a heart attack the day it became legal. And today she notice that nothing has really change.

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Canuck147 , I hope you voted anyway. This is one time you can vote for your wife too. I promise we won't tell, lol !

It'll be interesting to see how many other GenXers are on here. We missed the good ol' days of $10 ounces but we did get to taste some of the early hydroponic stuff.
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• Cheeba
        Cheeba commented
        Editing a comment
        GenX represent!

• Ckbrew
        Ckbrew commented
        Editing a comment
        UndergroundFarmer I don't at all miss the days of $10.00 "four finger" oz. Garbage dirt weed. Now I would never touch the stuff.

• UndergroundFarmer
        UndergroundFarmer commented
        Editing a comment
        I know, right? I smell it all the time in my work and I pity the folks who can't afford or find better.

I’m 61, smoked my first weed at 16 and did so regularly until I got baptized at 22 when I stopped, due to it being illegal. Honestly, I always felt better using pot over alcohol any day. I’d shake my head at people who dissed pot, yet turned around to slam down a six pack. So many who shun pot sure like their alcohol.

When I was 40 I had my first injury to my low back, then again in 2018 my neck and upper back. A number of years back, my pain clinic really cracked down on alcohol use with pain killers so it was goodbye to my one microbrew a day and good wine on occasion. To have these things you enjoy taken away, when so much joy in life it gone from chronic pain is depressing.

Then WA State legalized medical mj and once again I not only enjoy the relaxing feeling it gives me but it also helps with pain and sleep. Thank goodness my doctor is my age and gives out green cards to patients wanting to get off or at least lower pain meds.

I’m slowly educating friends in my congregation on the benefits of medical mj. My wife still fights the “idea” that I’m some underground grower, as if it’s illegal, LOL, but even lately she’s tried my cannapills and rather enjoyed them. She thinks the plants are beautiful, so that helps.

Equipment
      5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
      ———————————————————————————————————-
      1st Grow
      Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
      Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
      Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

Hey TheKieftan , I'm starting to feel a little lonely myself but at the opposite end. I'm hoping someone over 80 will chime in so I don't feel like I'm supposed to be "Old enough to know better".
        Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
        Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
        Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
        Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
        Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
        i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
        My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
        make pH correction unnecessary
        Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
        8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
        Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
        Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          It beats the the abacus TheKieftan.

• TOKABIGONE
          TOKABIGONE commented
          Editing a comment
          OK so TheKieftan, I bought my first home computer when you were 4 years old after using one at work for 5 years. I replaced my flip phone with an Android as soon as they came out. We're not all old fogies just because we have a little wear and tear on us, lol ! I can't write code but I can damn sure run any software you can name. But thanks for being proud of me, my grandson is too!

• Eliot Pryor
          Eliot Pryor commented
          Editing a comment
          Well "old enough to know better" hmmm maybe. I'm still the oldest. 75. 1966 was a great year to turn 21 and discover pot. Been computing since 1981. I'm just like old Willie said in his song. "after taking several readings I'm surprised to find my mind still fairly sound". Grow in peace. Spread love.

Voted! Made my day knowing your 73 and your handle is TokABigOne...Love it!
        53 here, 50s seems to be a popular age group so far. Interesting poll. For years I HATED going to the weed dealer. Shady AF and always thought the cops would bust in at any moment. Grew a few times outdoors over the years but when it became legal I said to myself, it's time to try and get good at this. I've loved weed forever
        Past Grows: Jack 47 Auto - La Bella Afrodita - Black Cream and Cheese Autos
        I like weed and science.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
          TOKABIGONE commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your vote JeffInCanada, I smoked my first joint in Cali as a US Marine in 1968 at age 21. Nothing! Then a few months later in Da Nang I tried it again. The only word I could say was... Wow! Still going strong and now I can grow 6 plants legally after having a med card for several years or as I said earlier...going to the corner. This is a very interesting poll and a hell of a lot of fun I'm having with it. The results so far are actually rather close to what I was expecting although I did expect to see more in my group. They're out there just too shy or still going to the dispensary and not growing. The 80's group which would include my remaining siblings still think it's the Devils Weed. They grew up with the 1936 movie "Reefer Madness" and still believe in it.

grouchyoldman
        Hey get in here and vote, your needed, we’re winning.

Equipment
        1st Grow
        Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
          TOKABIGONE commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha, very good again MrPNW, call your friends, email them or text. this poll is rockin'! I haven't stopped writing comments since I started it. It's a brotherhood for the ages! All of you are making an old man's day for sure!

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          You started this pretty late in the day PST and will find things really take off the next day.

• grouchyoldman
          grouchyoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting question MrPNW, interesting results too.

68 years here, most of them good. First toke when I was 13 on the recommendation of my very progressive eye doctor who read a study that cannabis was a good treatment for glaucoma. Totally illegal during the "War on Drugs" but he whispered that it wasn't hard to find.

Guerilla grows in the 60's, then an apprenticeship learning the craft from an old timer on a hippie commune in the hills above San Jose. "Friend of a Friend" buys for decades until the miracle of legalization in my state. And now, a joyous return to epicurean cultivation!

I love growing things and I really got to 'know' our favorite plant back in the day. But it has been a revelation to discover how much has been learned and to use the incredible tools and techniques we now have at our fingertips today.

The shared knowledge and enthusiasm here on GWE is a wonder to behold. Many thanks to Nebula and Sirius for making this possible.

-Grouchy

TOKABIGONE
        We've come a long way.
        Past Grows: Jack 47 Auto - La Bella Afrodita - Black Cream and Cheese Autos
        I like weed and science.

Comment

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hay! I saw that movie, just not in 1836! more like 1974.

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          They played it in our junior high in the mid 70s. Haha

1836 LOL DW2.
          Last edited by MrPNW; 03-27-2021, 11:19 AM.

I think it’s because of us older growers that make up this forum, that it’s not hostile and volatile like the RIU forum. We’re too old for that shit. 😂
        There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
        1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
        2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
        3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
          TOKABIGONE commented
          Editing a comment
          Older, wiser and more content with what we made of ourselves. Sorry to say I used to abuse alcohol with smoking pot. Glad I got over that demon!

• RetiredGuy
          RetiredGuy commented
          Editing a comment
          TOKABIGONE, I gave up drinking when I retired five years ago, smartest thing I ever did! Seemed like I could never stop drinking once I started. With weed, once I am stoned I am too lazy to get up for more!

Wow only one slot left...COME ON 81!

Equipment
        1st Grow

Comment

• Farmbuck
          Farmbuck commented
          Editing a comment
          Lollllll

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          81 would have been the horse I had picked if this had been that kind of race Farmbuck. That’s usually how it goes.

As expected, not surprised by the vote at all🤣. Don’t mind being the youngest in here, still making high grade cannabis 😎🎉
        Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
        You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m Scandinavian so I love beer a lot. But I don’t brew it myself, I’m only drinking it lol

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          I miss my favorite good beers.

• Smallgrow
          Smallgrow commented
          Editing a comment
          ....Old dogs who smoke dope , learn new tricks faster, and forget the old one sooner ....just sayin😉

Damn straight never give up the grow
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Earlier this year I realized at 61 I have achieved the 17 year old me's dream life I get to grow/smoke weed, and being retired I get do what ever I want to do every day.

Comment

• MrPNW
            MrPNW commented
            Editing a comment
            Good on you! I’m soooo ready to retire.

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly this! I'm with you!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X