No announcement yet.

My first grow: The sativa experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Sylvester. I was a little worried going to straight 12 right away might stress them enough to hermy them but haven't found any research saying so.

I do seem to be getting a bit of stretching from the plants under the hps. Ppf is about half of the led's. Hopefully not too much by the time my second SE7000 gets here.

Also thanks for sayin they look good, but if you zoom in you'll see burnt tips from light too close and some burnt leaves where I fed and forgot to spray off afterwards. I swear I think I've made every newbie mistake in the book lol.

Here they are 3 days after initiating flower.

Medium: Promix bx.
    Nutrients: Foxfarm lineup.
    Measurement: Top shelf E.C., and Ph meters.
    Lighting: Full spectrum Led 650ppfd veg, 950 flower.
    Water: R.O. distilled.
    A/C: 15k btu portable a/c & 2800w electric heaters. Controlled by wifi enabled inkbirds.
    Temps: 75°f lung room, 87°f veg and flower tents (91°f w/ co2).
    CO2: 1500ppm for last 2 weeks of veg and first 2 of flower.
    R.H.: 60% in both growth chambers, 48% in lung
    Cycle fans: cloudline 6" exhaust fans with temp and humidity controls to cycle air between lung and growth tents.

Comment

• Sylvester
      Sylvester commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I always have went straight from 18 down to 12 no problems.
      I did notice the burnt bitties, but figure you know what your doing with lights.
      They looking better already. The only way to learn is by making mistakes.
      Happy 420 day, puff puff & passing!

Well, first week of flowering down. Looking decent overall. One of my strawberry cough's (bottom left of left tent) had a reaction to switching over to flower nutes. Leaves all started canoeing and branch tops turned yellow. Can't remember which nutes though and can't find the article again lol. Potassium and another p. I'll look at my bottles later, see if I can jog this old stoners memory .

Also got my second SE7000 in and hung agromax pure uv in both tents now. Went up to 4 minute intervals today.

Also made another tent addition to the lung room. Nothing special. Just a 5' tall 2x4 with an sf-600 led and an exhaust fan continuously running on low so it remains same atmosphere as lung room.. I learned that growing multiple strains at once can present its own challenges but not only that. Starting from seed can do the same thing even within strains. Different grow styles, resistance levels, speed. All kinds of stuff. Like my 1 SC having a negative reaction to switching over to flower nutes when the rest of them are all fine. To try and limit the variances I have to deal with I added the new tent, wich I call the mother tent (don't know if that is proper terminology or not). I'm going to start from seed in there, grow em out for a month or so, pick my favorites and then let those get large enough to "mother" a dozen clones or so. So now my full grows will all be clones and less prone to genetic variation. I actually already started the strains for my next grow, "the indica experience ", earlier today. Skywalker OG and Granddaddy Purp. Feminized photo ofcourse. But enough about that grow. This isn't the thread for it lol.

Here they are at 9wks, 1wk flowering:
    A/C: 15k btu portable a/c & 2800w electric heaters. Controlled by wifi enabled inkbirds.
    Cycle fans: cloudline 6" exhaust fans with temp and humidity controls to cycle air between lung and growth tents.

Comment

• Sylvester
      Sylvester commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi mlynch475 Plants in both tents look fabulous! UV lights too, I'm sure make a difference. I only have them in my Mars Hydro lights, but really impressed with my first LED experience.
      Your SE7000 s look serious business.👍🏻
      Good idea about the lung room, extra big tent. Keeps all in balance I guess.
      That's me chopped my final from Winter grow (14weeks flower!) Be planting seeds soon too - Autos to try next!
      Full Moon on Monday, usually wait for New Moon ~ figured Full must be powerful & good!🌝
      I'll keep looking in , happy growing 🙂

Strawberry Cough is on my list. Been wanting to get some of that for years. Excited to see how yours turns out!
    Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Two weeks into flowering now. Really seeing the bud sites form . To address the over fert reaction of my SC instead of flushing I just weakened the solution. 2.4ec when the schedule calls for 3.0. They seem to like it much better and I haven't noticed any deficiencies yet.

Also gave em a trim that may have been a bit extensive but we will live and learn either way . Theyre not dead yet lol.

Uv supplementation is up to six minute bursts 8x a day and yet to toast em.

What do you all think?

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
        UndergroundFarmer commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice! You've got budsites clearly showing which is right on time for two weeks in. You may want to adjust the fans in back so they don't blow right on the buds. Otherwise, lookin' good!

• mlynch475
        mlynch475 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much UndergroundFarmer! I'll take care of the fans right away . So the trimming of fan leaves wasn't too much? Truly am worried it may stunt them. My best guess on trimming really is don't take more than half the foliage and when pruning fan leaves, wait for the node it's supporting to be large enough to support itself. So simple it worries me lol.

Three weeks into flowering..

As I have read that co2 enrichment is only effective during the first 2 to 3 weeks of flowering I have let my co2 runout. I have also brought the temp in my flower tents down to a max of 85 before the exhaust fans kick on and the temp of lung room to 72. Making it 82 b4 a/c kicks. Reason for this is the loss of added resistances from the co2.

Also got more of that yellowing and canoeing of leaves so I will have to flush I guess. Fox farm has a additive for flushing called sledgehammer. I'll be using that and ro water next watering (prob Monday morning).

Here's the candy

Comment

• JeffInCanada
        JeffInCanada commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking great in there! Keep it up

• mlynch475
        mlynch475 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jeff!

Also forgot to note that I turned the uv back down to six minute bursts. Got some browning tips on leaves. Don't think it's the uv but till I get em all back to healthy I'm going to play it safe.

Comment

Four weeks in.:

The browning leaves got worse and not just tips. Also canned leaves again. I still see no pests, my ppf is 900-970 across canopy,, so I'm assuming temp or maybe windsurf aswell. I lowered the temp of flower tents to a max of 80°f and adjusted fans to just the slightest leaf rustle.. If it still continues maybe try to continue feeding just water..

Here's the pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210515_230125.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	4.77 MB
ID:	515353

Name:	20210515_230154.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	4.85 MB
ID:	515352

Name:	20210515_215725.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	4.52 MB
ID:	515351

Name:	20210515_215736.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	4.49 MB
ID:	515350

Name:	20210515_215648.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	515349

Name:	20210515_215714.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	4.35 MB
ID:	515348

Name:	20210515_215509.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	515347

Name:	20210515_215438.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	515346
        Last edited by mlynch475; 05-16-2021, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Ok so I think I might have discovered part of the problem atleast. I installed wifi cameras with night vision in my tents and glad I did. I was looking in on my girls today and noticed the right tent (the one with the leaf problems) was lit up on my camera during its dark period. Somehow I got the programming flipped on my uv timer so it was on when it was suppose to be off. Been getting a ton of uv for a few days. Oops lol. Surprised they aren't severely worse.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Great catch mlynch475 close attention is wonderful to see. You've got a hell of a tent full of plants. I would if you did'nt already move those fans up higher from plant canopy.

• mlynch475
            mlynch475 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks SoOrbudgal. Good to see you still tagging along . Actually I did have them higher at first but on higher setting. I moved em closer and lowered the speed so they are just gently rustling the top canopy. But I can see now that you got me thinking that buds may grow up into the fans or be covered directly beneath them. Is that your thoughts? I'll get on that after work. Thanks again!

• UndergroundFarmer
            Editing a comment
            It's always the dumbest little things that cause the biggest headaches. Glad you caught that!

So I'm a few days late with the update again. Sry guys. Whole house got sick with a cold (including new baby) and the dang nanny quit lol. The pictures were taken on the correct day.

Five weeks in:
          Seems like flowering is much more a patience game than veg was. Not so much work to do these days so not much to report lol. I caught the uv light on again when it wasn't suppose to be so I think the timer may be junk. I'll look into it on my time off. For now I have just unplugged the uv altogether. Probably finish this one without it before playing with it again.

Also finished my mother tent. Basically just added a bench and 200w more led. Ordered crap for my drying chamber aswell. Hopefully that will be on next week's update 😬.

The buds are getting sticky icky icky! I open my door when I get home and the house smells like a wonderful marijuana potpourri and it makes me smile. Here's the 🍬 😀

The first 4 closeups are all 🍓 cough but growing quite different. Last three are chocolope.

Comment

• JeffInCanada
            JeffInCanada commented
            Editing a comment
            All good stuff...expect for everyone being sick, nanny quitting and bad UV timer. All good stuff in the tents there I mean. Looking real nice. That first full tent shot is wicked awesome, you got skills!

Thanks Jeff 😀. Yeah it seems everymistake I made this grow was on the second tent lol. Poor ladies.
          Last edited by mlynch475; 05-27-2021, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Six weeks in:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20210531_064144.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.12 MB ID:	517845Click image for larger version  Name:	20210531_064037.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.76 MB ID:	517846
            Also set up my drying chamber. The stack in the corner is quart size wide mouth mason jars, boveda 62% rh packs, labels and 3 dozen mini humidistats. The setup in the middle obviously is a fan, heater, humidifier and dehumidifier. I have the exhaust fan if it gets too hot. The tent is a 5x5 2000D canvas tent and the hanging racks each have 28 clips for a total of 224 clips. Hopefully this is big enough.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20210528_003122.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.78 MB ID:	517847Click image for larger version  Name:	20210528_003327.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	517848
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mlynch475; 05-31-2021, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• JeffInCanada
              JeffInCanada commented
              Editing a comment
              All great stuff! That is a FULL tent! Great work! Preparing for the harvest too...nice!

Got a few more toys in

Name:	Screenshot_20210611-085039_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	519699Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210611-085845_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	519703Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210611-090254_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	519704
            Here's a few pics from the microscope:

Name:	2021_06_10_20_47_33_105.png
Views:	227
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	519705Click image for larger version

Name:	2021_06_10_21_06_18_796.png
Views:	220
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	519707Click image for larger version

Name:	2021_06_10_21_07_57_127.png
Views:	213
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	519708
            I'll have a week 8 update tomorrow but pretty decent camera huh
            Attached Files

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
              Editing a comment
              The bowl trimmer is a godsend once you start getting big harvests. It's just anticlimactic how fast they can trim a quart jar of bud.

Ok so late again but here it is . All info and pics were current last Saturday.

8weeks in:

Ok so alot has happened the last two weeks! First off I had to do some tweaking to get the drying chamber working. After trying 3 different small dehumidifiers that didn't work worth crap I bought another large 50qt basement one. Wich I tried putting in the tent but that just caused a constant battle between the portable ac and dehumidifier so now I'm dehumidifier the entire basement and cycling air through tent when humidity gets high. Plus oh ya I had to place a second ac in the chamber aswell. But working now. Temp kept between 65 and 70, humidity between 55 and 58%. Also placed a green 100w led in there for inspections.

So got a ton of yellowing the last week in my tents. Harvested one of the sc in tent one to stop it getting into the buds. Would have liked more amber trichomes first but hey. The other girls are all very close.

I do have a question this week. From what I've read "skinny" stems snap at 12% humidity. What exactly is a "skinny" stem? 1/4inch?

Here's pics

Name:	20210614_035014.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	520608Click image for larger version

Name:	20210614_034749.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	520609Click image for larger version

Name:	20210614_011913.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	520610Click image for larger version

Name:	20210614_013643.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	4.74 MB
ID:	520611
            Attached Files

Comment

• Canuck147
              Canuck147 commented
              Editing a comment
              First time I've heard of skinny stem syndrome - they'll bend over before they snap (as if) so prop that branch up with a bamboo stake.

Name:	20210614_034800.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	520613Click image for larger version

Name:	20210614_034822.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	3.99 MB
ID:	520614Click image for larger version

Name:	20210614_034827.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	520615

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Good for you making it all the way I would say cause i've got alot more skinny than pencil thick that skinny is lesser of the pencil, more like 2 toothpicks together. Sorry i'm not a math person only sight to measure some things......so pencil thick will loose 1/2 water in about 4days. I only take an bend the branch if i hear a snap i clip the buds. Some of your larger colas looks like 5 day hang but test the snap. Really skinny pencil lead branches i only dry for few days, i feel the buds you want them alittle sticky. Come on back when ready to jar, that's where sometimes folks get questions about humidity. Great job @mylynch475

Congrats on a successful grow! It’s been impressive to watch!
            Current Project - 1 Kali Mist (Kali), 1 Northern Lights (Jeaneau) and 1 Pineapple Express (Pennsyltucky)
            Growing all in CocoCoir (2/3 CoCo:1/3 Perlite)
            Dyna Grow and Bloom Nutrients with CalMag in 6.0pH
            Tent 1 - 4x4x6' with 1 Viparspectra XS4000
            Tent 2 - 2x4x5' with 2 each KingLED 1000 (growing Ghost Peppers! 🌶)
            6x18" Filter w/ 6" 390CFM fan to exhaust, 4" 190CFM Inlet
            Typical Temps 72-82F, RH 20-35%

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X