Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major root rot issues - need help

Hi all,

So, first time grower here, and I've definitely made some mistakes, but I'm hoping that you can help me get through this. As far as my setup goes, I have a DWC bucket with a 6" net pot. The plant is in a rockwool cube, which I nested in some hydroton in the net pot once I saw roots. I have a 150W HPS grow light, water temp is sitting at ~69F, and I keep the pH around 5.8. I'm planning on mainlining it, and so far I've topped it once.

Here's the problem: I've been fighting with root rot the whole time. I've tried everything I can to clear it up, but it just keeps coming back. My latest attempt involved sanitizing everything with StarSan (a no-rinse sanitizer I have for homebrewing), rinsing the roots in clean water, and mixing up a new batch of nutes with a beneficial bacteria product (Miicrobial Mass: https://miicrobialmass.com/, as HydroGuard is harder to come by in Canada). With all of these precautions I was hoping I was finally done with the root rot, but when I went to check this morning, this is what the roots look like:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210315_092337.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	499167

It seems like the root rot is back with a vengeance, and I really have no idea what else I can do here. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

For reference, here's a pic of the plant itself:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210315_092318.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	4.93 MB
ID:	499168
    (apologies for the lighting, HPS doesn't seem to be the best for taking photos)

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Jerrian i have been able to get Hydroguard from Amazon. I just received 2 x 4 liter jugs. Your water temp seems fine, looks like you have sufficient rocks in the net to prevent light getting through. Are the roots slimy or just discoloured?
    3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
    New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
    Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
    5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

Drekthar Thanks for the tip on Amazon. Could have sworn I'd checked there, but apparently not :P

The roots aren't particularly slimy, it's mainly that they're discolored in splotches. It's a bit hard to tell because of the lighting, but most of the roots are white, but a good portion of them are dark brown.

Comment

That's the supplier order i used last time and I received it in Alberta. Need to watch as they ship with DHL and they tend to hold onto the package to collect customs ~$20 but they dont tell you and you have to figure that whole thing out.

Good luck

If the roots are not slimy id suggest its just discoloration from nutrients??
        3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
        New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
        Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
        5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

Howdy Jerrian, I grow in a DWC setup as well. My first recommendation is to cover the top of the reservoir and net pot with aluminum foil yo block out all light to the roots and media. Secondly, I have found that maintaining the reservoir temperatures between 63° F and 69° F will help keep the root in better health. Third, nd last, keep the water very well aerated. I grow in a six gallon (ten gallon tote) Bubble phonic style reservoir. and I run four 2 inch x 4 inch air stones in each reservoir.
          Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Hmm, I suppose it's a possibility. I just kinda assumed it was just early root rot, since I'd had it in the past. Maybe I'll give it a day or two and just see how it progresses

And thanks again for the info on HydroGuard, gonna grab some when I'm out of this stuff!

Comment

DW2 I'll try lowering the room temp another degree or two, see if that helps, and I just added the foil

Comment

• DW2
                DW2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Jerrian, the temperatures tant You listed are fine fur the air, but the water temperature should be between 63° F and 69° F. I use ice bottles in the reservoir to keep the temperatures down. Early in the grow I change them out (one in each reservoir) about every 3 to 5 hours, now that the canopy blocks most of the light from reaching the reservoirs, they only need to be changed oit about every 5 to 12 hours.

DWC grower here...here’s what i see.

I don’t think root rot is the issue from looking at the pics. My roots are almost always brownish colored due to the nutes I feed them. Root rot is usually slimy and smells like swamp water.

On the other hand, you have some nutrient issues with that plant. If you are keeping the pH at 5.8 you are creating issues for yourself. Firstly, you need to get that pH up into the 6.1-6.5 range for a week or so. The leaves look like signs of calcium deficiency. The pH *MUST* fluctuate through the range from 5.5-6.5 throughout the grow. If you peg the pH at a set number for too long, a nutrient issue will always show up. In your case, you’ve prevented the roots from up taking enough calcium for her.

I’ve attached a couple of charts you need to keep on hand.

In hydro you need to check 3 things every day:
              1) Water level - How much water is she drinking in 24 hrs.
              2) ph levels - rising or dropping
              3) ppm/EC levels - How much food is she eating in 24 hrs.

Also....what is the temp and humidity in the tent? Are you adding Cal/mag to your nutes?
              There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
              1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
              2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
              3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

YYCannabis Interesting! Wish I'd had those from the start :P

I don’t think root rot is the issue from looking at the pics. My roots are almost always brownish colored due to the nutes I feed them. Root rot is usually slimy and smells like swamp water.
                K, I think this was perhaps me just being paranoid then, which is good to hear

On the other hand, you have some nutrient issues with that plant. If you are keeping the pH at 5.8 you are creating issues for yourself. Firstly, you need to get that pH up into the 6.1-6.5 range for a week or so. The leaves look like signs of calcium deficiency. The pH *MUST* fluctuate through the range from 5.5-6.5 throughout the grow. If you peg the pH at a set number for too long, a nutrient issue will always show up. In your case, you’ve prevented the roots from up taking enough calcium for her.
                Sorry, probably should have clarified what I meant there. The pH increases every day, I just add enough pH Down each day to bring it back down to 5.8. So it should be at 6.1+ for around half of each day. That said, given what you're saying here, maybe I'll let it creep up a bit more for the next week, just to make sure there are no deficiencies.

Also....what is the temp and humidity in the tent? Are you adding Cal/mag to your nutes?
                Temp is 69F in the tent, and humidity is about 45%. I'm using the full range of Remo nutes, with Miicrobial Mass added to protect against root rot.

Again, thanks for all the info!

Comment

• Cloud
                  Cloud commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Remo nutes always gonna cause issues in dwc. I dealt with root rot and slim till harvest.

• Cloud
                  Cloud commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nutrient Ingredient Questions
                  Is Remo Nutrients organic?
                  No, we are an organic-synthetic hybrid line.

From their website. The organic parts cause root rot to happen really fast and easy. Have to keep everything in perfect conditions imo.

They do look a little slimy, but not sure its rot. I look for little side roots coming out from a main root, if they are brown but stick out, I blame it on the color of the nutrients. If the roots are slicked down and brown, and no little side roots sticking out then I assume its in a bad way and increase Hydroguard, clears it up pretty quick. The lights for my auto topoff system in the tote concerned me, but the blueish green color does not seem to affect the roots.
                I used a black plastic spray paint to cover and block all the light.
                Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
                A tale of two seeds
                Batter Up Sour Deisel
                Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
                New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
                Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X