Buds getting soft and brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buds getting soft and brown

Hello All,.......got a shock today when inspecting the ladies....some of the buds have turned brown....and gone very soft to the touch...we have had some un seasonal rain in the last few days...I have also discovered this caterpiller on the buds.....only one of them.....could this be worm damage...or could it be from too much rain...any help would be appreciated

My guess is that the caterpillar created some tissue damage to the bud then the rain allowed bud rot to set in. I'd trim off as much bad bud as possible to try to restrict the spread of the bud rot. If possible get plant out of rain or place a tarp over it. Good luck!
    If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

If there's one there is more! Yes caterpillar induced bud rot, to add to the suggestions, praying mantis works well for these! Find and kill as many as you can, look for eggs, watch for moths (note a butterfly is a moth with a fancy pant job), give each limb a shack (dont brake them) and cut off buds from the worm feeding will fall off then find that damn worm! (sometimes they will fall with the bud). Good Luck!

Comment

• Korn
        Korn commented
        Editing a comment
        Sent u PM.

I dont know about caterpillars but you do have bud rot , we cut below the rot we go down until stem is clean then cut it there if there are buds above where we cut we harvest them, bud rot can destroy a grow in a couple of days bud rot is caused by cold rain/wet conditions good luck I hope that was all you found ,but keep a close eye on them
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

YIKES reminds me of last summer.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Yep. Same here. Had the budworms and some bud rot. Had to harvest early.

Comment

I had boring worms/caterpillars last season in my outdoor grow. They are little bastards! Check for small holes in the stems near the effected areas.
            5x5 Gorilla tent
            Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
            Infinity T8 exhaust fan
            Technaflora nutes
            Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

bud rot is cause by the caterpillars...if you can save any buds, snip them then immerse them in water for 24 hours. that will drown or remove any other caterpillars. Then dry them with a hair dryer on low setting and then cure them after a few days more air drying.

This of course assumes you aren't going to foliar spray the plants with pesticide.....
              I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

The heartbreak of bud rot

Comment

Hey Guys...thanks for all the feedback......I have removed the bud rot buds....and inspected for more caterpillars ...so far none (mabey i caught the first one early).....once the rain stopped I went and gently shook all the buds, and was amazed at all the water that came off them...yesterday was no rain, and even some sunshine...and the ladies responded beautifully.....today is pure sunshine...so i think that i might have got away lightly with this bud rot warning...!!!...here is a pic of the rest of my grow......thank you too all.....
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Korn
                    Korn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good job! Heavy colas! If you have a pop up tent or a tarp system to keep the rain off them in case of rain, it might help in the future.

• oldjarhead100
                    oldjarhead100 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Or just move them in on cold rainy days I live in Mass and after the middle of oct its a battle to keep them from bud rot ,those are some nice kolas big and thick and close together all things we strive for ,also what sets them up for bud rot ,If you haven't guessed I don't think the caterpillar was your problem and I just want you to keep an eye out good luck

Can you move them to a spot that isn't amongst other plant life like a porch? sometimes that helps when it comes to bugs.

to avoid caterpillars again drop some Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) on the surface of the soil surrounding the stem/trunk and repeat every time you water or it rains. DE is exceptionally well suited for anything that crawls onto the plant like bugs.

It's safe and essentially organic in nature.
                  I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X