New Growing Setup Advice/Critique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Growing Setup Advice/Critique?

Hey all! I'm ready to get started growing my own beautiful plants, but first I'd like some advice. Below you'll find a link to a google doc of the gear I'm planning to purchase to set up my garden, but it's a bit of a mix of things from what I've read on the grow weed easy website. I'm hoping to have a relatively low maintenance and unnoticeable setup, so I hope you'll be able to offer any insight or changes you'd recommend. I'll be growing in a closet, which has white walls and we're planning to line the walls with aluminum foil to increase light reflection. Anything you're unsure of, just ask and I'll answer - I'm not sure what to put here, and there's currently nothing to take a photo of.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

A roll of reflective Mylar will be more durable and easier to setup than aluminum foil. Besides that looks like you have everything covered. Good luck with the grow! Peace and positive vibes!
    Perpetual setup!

Comment

• GreenThumbedEnt
      GreenThumbedEnt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I'll look into that instead.

• Soilscience
      Soilscience commented
      Editing a comment
      The wraps that they hand out to runners at races are cheap and reflect well. I have found them for under a buck.

I think you are under estimating odor control if you are serious about it being 'unnoticeable' .
    Also, are you comfortable with your air circulation plans?
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• GreenThumbedEnt
      Editing a comment
      I mean, it can be a tad noticeable in our house, I just don't want it leaving the house and I'd like it to not be something several well placed candles couldn't cover in the (very rare) event of cannabis unfriendly guests. I'd read that the product we'd selected for odor control was what was used in dispensaries. What would you recommend?

I feel like for the space that the fan should be fairly well suited at moving the air within, and there's a decent crack in the bottom of the door (which I'm aware of for the photoperiod times). Do you think that's adequate or were you meaning something else?

• Flockshot
      Flockshot commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have a favorite 'low odor' strain, but the seed companies do advertise low odor plants. GWE has a good odor control tutorial in this link.
      What's that smell? Have you ever been standing somewhere with no one around, and you catch a hint of marijuana smell in the breeze? Even if you couldn’t spot the source, you wouldn’t doubt what your nose told you.

I do not recommend Ona because it just overwhelms the smell with a stronger smell.

The deal with air circulation is that your plant uses up the CO2 from the closet air and then needs more CO2. Without enough CO2 your plant just stops growing. Next to light, CO2 is your plants biggest 'limiting factor'. The second thing that air circulation (replacement air) helps with is temperature control. You need to keep the closet between 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit (21-26c) and depending on the light you are using that may require a good air replacement system.

My suggestion is that you just start growing the plants and work out the issues as they come up. Keep reading about other growers closet grows and keep asking questions here as much as you want. Grow on.

• GreenThumbedEnt
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Flockshot!

Crack in the door is not sufficient for air circulation. You need it cuz the plants need the carbon dioxide from the air. About the odor, it's gonna smellllll.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• GreenThumbedEnt
      Editing a comment
      The crack in the door paired with a fan in the closet circulating the air isn't sufficient? The other modifications I saw seemed fairly invasive - do you have any suggestions?

From what I'd read on the gel we're using, it binds with the particles in the air to neutralize them. What odor control method do you use and how well does it work?

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      Um, not really for the fan. It will work, give it a try. When the plant gets bigger will be problem, worry about it then. No odor control here, just venting out back wall of the house we own. Neighbors on one side are potheads others aren't really around. So, can't smell any worse than all the pot we're smoking out back anyways.

Did he say he had "crack the door ventilation"?

Comment

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      The crack under the closet door nuttin.

I diffuse essential oils at all times for holistic purposes and to keep the air clear, my diffuser is an ionizer as well. My setup is in my garage but i play it safe and keep the air clean at all times. Incense is temporary and plug-ins are not strong enough. As far as ventilation if you need air circulation, is there a window close to your closet?
    Perpetual setup!

Comment

• GreenThumbedEnt
      Editing a comment
      There is a closet near a window we could use, but the window it's near comes out at the front of the townhouse i'm in.

if your closet has a hardwired light, i.e., a gangbox, you could swap the light out for a decent bathroom fan (cfm around 220 or so, they go higher but you may not need higher.) if you give your square footage i could give you better info on the fan.
    "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

• GreenThumbedEnt
      Editing a comment
      24" deep x 33"wide, and ~62" from the bottom of the shelf to the floor, with an additional ~30" above the shelf for 1st choice closet that is farther from a window.

35.75" deep, 33.75" wide is the other closet I could use and is closer to a window.

I've done the foil route and I can tell you that I was better off just painting the walls white. The best solution would be to use a mylar film designed for light reflection but I'm cheap! Paint works fine for me.
    And one other thing-pot plants really stink when they get going so be aware that could pose some security issues. I don't have to worry where I live but friends immediately notice when I have a grow going when they step inside.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Since I don't use commercial nutes, I got a quick education reading your list. Holy shit. You could buy a tent for that money. I had no idea.
      If you are interested in saving money, try a soil grow using backyard soils and some cheap potting soil. About 30% natural soil. Use big pots with plenty of drainage. It will get you started. Learn the rythm of the grow.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X