Decarb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decarb?

I have about 10gr. kief from last year that has been sitting in plastic bottle in drawer for more than a year. I want to make canna butter out of it. Should I decarb it or is it already done?

I wouldn’t decarb it. Never done it with my kief, or the oil I make to be honest. And I’m still high as shit
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I don't think you need to do it with kief.
      Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
      Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
      Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
      Full auto grow
      Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
      12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

I never have used my kief for butter but i would just toss it into the melted butter. Yes 10g would maybe be to much? But maybe not
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree. Throw it right into the butter and you will have the best butter ever
          Last edited by CaptainWiese91; 03-04-2021, 07:52 AM.

Thanks guys. I hope it is too much. What is too much? Don't think I have ever seen that.

Comment

• kingfish
          kingfish commented
          Editing a comment
          desertdan, Please let us know how it turns out. I would have said Decarb. I am under the impression if you do anything other then smoke it, decarb.

Kinda like too much ammo. Is there such a thing?
        Ask a Marine.
        2X4X6 Quictent
        1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
        600w LED (80)
        1000w LED (180)
        2 X Viparspectra P-1000
        2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
        6" battery/usb fans
        Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
        GH trio with Calimagic
        Lung room humidifier
        3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
        ArmorSi, kelp when needed
        Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
        Northern Lights auto
        (Seedsman)
        auto 00 Kush
        (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
        2x Northern lights auto
        1 auto 00 Kush
        1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
        Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          Depending on if you where a light machine gunner as I was in Afghanistan. All my ammunition weighed 40 kg and my German Mg42 weighed 16 kilos with optic sights and everything.
          So yea sometimes there is too much ammunition if you didn’t used it all on the patrols

• Tumbleweed
          Tumbleweed commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't want too much ammo when swimming.

Originally posted by desertdan View Post
        I have about 10gr. kief from last year that has been sitting in plastic bottle in drawer for more than a year. I want to make canna butter out of it. Should I decarb it or is it already done?
        I'm with kingfish. Without decarb it won't be activated unless you're smoking it or the butter cooking process provides the time/temp to decarb. You could always put 1/4gram in some yogurt or ice cream and ingest to see if it's activated. Bet you it's not.
        Last edited by quirk; 03-04-2021, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Time will start the decarb process. Also will the heating in the butter. Question would be is the decarb finished? You can easily make sure by doing a decarb before adding to the butter. So long as you don't overheat it, no real down side.
          Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Decarb.
            Always decarb if it’s for something you are going to eat. Otherwise all you get from it is just what’s glittery on the outside, and miss all the THCa goodness on the inside.
            There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
            1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
            2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
            3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

If the butter gets heatet, then he doesn’t need to decarb it.
              im making pancakes with butter with kief all the time when I have it.
              I’m getting stoned from the first 2 pancakes...
              Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
              You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Decarb is going to happen at 240 F for 60 minutes, or at 260 F for 45 minutes. If you're going to eat it, decarb it. The passage of time will decarb some of it, but not a great percent after a year sitting. Butter is heated but at those temperatures for that amount of time? I don't think so.

Here's how I decarb: I use a thermometer to make sure the oven is accurate. I want 240 degrees. After testing that I turn off the oven and let it cool. Once cool I place an empty half gallon mason jar in the oven, turn the heat on to 240. When the oven says it's 240 I give it 10 minutes to be sure the jar is heated. Then I open the oven and fill the jar 1/3 with flower, seal the jar, and place back in the oven. After an hour at 240 I pull it. This works.

Here is a study of different methods to decarb. He had each tested for THC conversion. https://extractcrafter.com/2019/01/2...od-comparison/

Comment

• JeffInCanada
                  JeffInCanada commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Boom! Great post!

• YYCannabis
                  YYCannabis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great find.

Thank you all. I thought I should bake it before I make it and I will.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X