Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does my new grow look, need some thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how does my new grow look, need some thoughts...

My jack herar is on day 38. They are about a foot above the soil, which is about a foot deep, in an 80" tall tent. I figure with the light at 70", I want my canopy at around 50" or so. I figure I want them to grow maybe another 12" or so and then flip to flower, so maybe a couple of more weeks. They are in ocean forest, with about 30% or so extra perlite, in 3 gallon pots.

I have been following the great advice I have been receiving on this forum regarding watering. I only water when the pots are light. I don't trust myself, so I've been weighing them daily and recording the weight daily. Temps have been high this week, around 80F. They are in 3 gallon pots. I let the pots get down to 6 something pounds and then I water them back up to about 9 lbs or so. I've never watered them 2 days in a row, ever, I've been steered clear of that.

But every 2nd day after watering, it seems they get to be on the light side the last couple of waterings, and before that every 3 days. I've never grown this strain of big leaf cannabis before, I've been growing the smaller leaf stuff (purple haze, LSD, etc). The strains I've grown so far grow lots of smaller leaves, whereas these don't seem to be growing lots of leaves, but they grow big ones. It seems the leaves are very sensitive to watering. The day after I water, they look fantastic, vibrant, full of life. On the 2nd day after I water, already the leaves start looking depressed. When I go and water them after 2 days, the leaves droop down looking soaked for a few hours, then come back again looking like a million bucks the following day. I'm not used to my weed being this temperamental. Is this normal behavior due to the strain, usually on the smaller leaf stuff I grew, they'd stay pretty much perky the whole time unless I overwatered them, where as these seem to like to bounce up and down after other day...? Can anyone tell by looking at it, if this weed is overwatered, or underwatered, or just fine? The leaves themselves look 99%, I don't see really any signs of distress other then they seem very much more reactive to watering then what I'm used too, and I'm too stupid to understand if this is a good thing or a bad thing? Should I continue on with my same regiment, or change a few things around?
    Attached Files

Well i have grown that strain and know it to be a huge plant in the right conditions. I only would use a 3 gal if it were a fabric pot for a photo. Wait too long those roots are bound up tight in plastic. All i can say about that. Otherwise those look real good now, yep those are gonna get as big or bigger than you hand
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• dustydundee
      dustydundee commented
      Editing a comment
      i've thought about replanting to a 10 gal. You think thats necessary even though I don't plan to get them over 4ft tall. replanting these is gonna be tough, i'd hate to do it if I didn't have too

LOL...you're doing a great job...looking real good to me. The drooping and then perking up after watering is normal. Sometimes leaves may also look droopy a hour or two before lights go off and then look great in the morning, this is also normal. Keep up the good work!!
    Past Grows: Jack 47 Auto - La Bella Afrodita - Black Cream and Cheese Autos
    I like weed and science.

Comment

• dustydundee
      dustydundee commented
      Editing a comment
      whats new to me now is that the leaves start to droop down about 36-48 hours after watering, indicating to me that they can't go a 3rd day without water, at least thats what I think its indicating to me..... I'm trying to listen to my plants more and be more observant, so perhaps i'm just over analyzing...

Hi dustydundee
    You could be right regarding the drooping after 36-48 hours after watering. If your pot weight test says the same it's time to water. You're not over analyzing you're just gathering all of the info that you can to learn and make good decisions Here is a great watering article to read if you haven't already....
    Learn everything you need to know about watering your cannabis plants. No more guessing or worrying!
    Past Grows: Jack 47 Auto - La Bella Afrodita - Black Cream and Cheese Autos
    I like weed and science.

Comment

Good looking grow. I keep daily records and water by weight as well. It keeps me from the watering too OFTEN associated problems, from pests to root rot that can be seen on any grow forum. Lights, medium and when to water is the trifecta for me. I amend my soil with an organic fertilizer before I start, so that takes care of itself. But I grow autos.

Comment

I would say you're not accounting for plant growth with your weight. Keep in mind it will weigh more as it grows. Also have to keep in mind they will drink more and more so you may be watering more frequently. 9 pounds seems pretty light when fully watered for a 3 gallon. Mine are 2-2.5 roughly and I think the smaller ones I have weigh more than that when watered. Maybe it's the extra perlite, but I would think it should be more.

Comment

well, once I water them up to about 9-10 lbs, I start getting runoff, so it won't hold much more. The day after watering, they are in the low 8lb, high 7 lb range and look great. on the 2nd day after watering, they are in the low 7's or upper 6's, and that typically tells me to water again after 2 days. I watered 4 out of 6 last night after 2 days, thinking the other 2 had enough to go another day, but they did not. this morning the 2 that I didnt water were looking like they were shriveling up and drooping, I watered them and 6-8 hours later, they're a million bucks again.

could be the perlite. This ocean forest has great consistancy, really drains well. maybe too well, it seems like I went 180 degrees in the other direction. My last grow had water problems and soil getting compacted and staying too wet, whereas here, it seems now I'm drying out too quick, or they are drinking wayyy too fast.

I'm thinking the suggestion for bigger pots is the way to go. I guess I'm going to replant in 10 gallon pots... that should be fun.

Comment

10 gallon is a bit much, unless you plan to grow outside or grow monsters. 5 gallon pots should work for them just fine.

Comment

your probly right about the 10 gallon being too big, but the issue is transplanting. a lot easier to transplant from 3 to10 then from 3 to 5. A 10 gallon is really only about 4-5 inches in diameter bigger in the top then my 3 gallons. whereas a 5 gallon would only be about an inch or so bigger in diameter at the top then mine. Both are deeper obviously. So I think transplanting is more manageable that way. As it is, I will have to fill the 10 gallon with soil and put an empty 3 gallon pot in to mold out the shape. Then I envision taking a dremel (carefully) to cut off the bottom of my old pots and 2 cuts up the sides on each side. Then carefully lift it into the 10 gallon with the sides in there, and then slowly pull the sides out. I dont think at this age, I can just flip them over and pull out the pot and not destroy them. If anyone has any better ideas how to pull this off, please let me know. I plan to do this operation over the weekend.....

Comment

It's a very resilient plant, takes a lot to kill them when they're that developed. Shouldn't need to cut the pots off, that would be a waste of time and energy. I would water them a little the day before the transplant just to get the soil moist and make it easier to work with. If you can squeeze the sides a little bit, do that to loosen everything up around the edges. Don't go overboard or your soil will fall apart if the roots aren't holding it together. Support the base (where the soil and trunk meet) with your hand and flip her over. Should be able to lift the pot right off. It's a little more difficult with bigger plants because it can be hard to get a good grip, but those shouldn't be too bad.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X