Vitamin C used to remove chloramine ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin C used to remove chloramine ?

I have layered my own mix in smart pots and it's completely organic. I don't want chloramine and chlorine to kill beneficial microbes. I've been researching and have read lots of info that says vitamin C will kill both very rapidly. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

I let my chlorinated water breathe in open 5 gallon jugs overnight and I have no issues with my living soil.

Comment

• Flatlander
      Flatlander commented
      Editing a comment
      My state uses chloramine instead of chlorine which doesn't dissipate for days and takes constant aeration .

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      even that wont get rid of chloramine.

It's a very interesting situation. It's job is to kill off microbial life so that makes me wonder what do agricultural growers do to keep their soil alive? How do you get the vitamin C you are using?

Comment

You want the uncoated V-C, or you can get lemons, limes or ascorbic acid crystals.
      I have used a slice of lemon to kill the shit in water when I eat out, been a while.
      These also give a temporary PH down which in my water (7.1) lasts less than 12 hours and right back where it started. I will be testing further as time goes to see how short lived it is.

Comment

You don't want to use simply use chloramine drops like those for a fish tank?

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          What is it? My bet would be it to is an acid.

ammonia, chlorine, chloramine, dechlorinator, nitrate

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          I looked up the MSDS on it, the only thing they admit it has in it is water. They also say it is odorless, but in the FAQ they say it smells like sulfur. (which has a smell of rotten eggs). For me, they dont give enug info for me to use it.

I've been using it for a couple of years. I've never noticed any smell. The one thing I've considered is that it detoxifies heavy metals then might it affect the calimagic I normally put in immediately after the drops. It's ok to use in a fish tank with live fish so I'm betting it's ok in water being fed to plants.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X