Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measuring Runoff with a Soilless Mix

Peace All,
    When growing in a soilless mix, is there any point in monitoring runoff PPM or EC? The reason I ask...I can understand a runoff PH measurement having value, I am just wondering if with a soilless mix is there other compounds in the mix that will affect the EC value. For instance, I am growing in 80% Promix Premium Potting Mix- 20% perlite.
    I have been feeding with a light 300 ppm feeding. I have feed the plant this only twice. I did a few runoff tests recently....with both the runoff liquid was clear.
    After watering with no nutes: Input 160 PPM at 6.4 PH
    Runoff reading: 1585 PPM, PH: 6.4
    4 Days later I watered with some Cal/Mag added to the water: Input: 283 PPM at 6.4 PH
    Runoff readings: 1300 PPM, PH: 6.4

I can understand a EC reading in a reservoir system but I am wondering with soilless if it is a little more tricky....with the high PPM runoff readings I am wondering if I should hold off on the nutes for a bit but I really haven't gave them much.
    I found this video on the net, seems to make sense.

Past Grows: Jack 47 Auto - La Bella Afrodita - Black Cream and Cheese Autos
    I like weed and science.

I've been growing for 6 years and never checked my runoff.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I agree with Canuck. Why bother checking your runoff?

Comment

Ok, thanks guys...I won't bother any more. I just thought it might be a way to gauge what is going on in the root zone. Silly me
        I like weed and science.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
          bboyfromwayback commented
          Editing a comment
          You’ll see a lot of post from people who check their runoff religiously. I just don’t see the need. Seems like something to gives you unnecessary headaches to me.

• gbauto
          gbauto commented
          Editing a comment
          When I grow coco, I mix my nutes to the ph and ec I want to run, and that's it.
          I always feed to run-off, and get plenty of salts crusting on the outside of the bag.
          Plants thrive, in spite of it.

• bboyfromwayback
          bboyfromwayback commented
          Editing a comment
          gbauto made a great point, make sure you water to runoff. Out with the old, in with the new

Thanks bboyfromwayback I really appreciate the comment. I'm trying to keep things simple and if it's something that ends up being a waste of time it's good to know. Maybe if things start to go sour with the grow it may be more useful. Thanks again!
        I like weed and science.

Comment

Checking the EC levels in runoff can be a good thing. If you haven't been watering enough to runoff you will get salt buildup in your grow media which can cause a whole host of problems.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X