Water/ roots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water/ roots?

Hi everyone, in the past I checked my soil nuckle deep before watering. I watered with 1/3 run off. They grow great. Then as soon as flowering start they seem to slow down, slow down even more. Each plant always had the roots in the center almost in a ball. Anybody have a better way of watering? This just doesn't work for me. Thank you

I water mine when they need it. I pick up the pot. When it's light, I water. If it's heavy, I don't. No mater when I watered last.

Comment

It's very important that the entire container gets water. What often happens is that the water follows the path of least resistance and creates paths that do not water entirely. If I notice this occurring I will put the entire pot in a tub to soak. Sounds to me like you might have used a medium that was too hot for the roots to spread into after transplanting.

Comment

Originally posted by BMW66 View Post
        Hi everyone, in the past I checked my soil nuckle deep before watering. I watered with 1/3 run off. They grow great. Then as soon as flowering start they seem to slow down, slow down even more. Each plant always had the roots in the center almost in a ball. Anybody have a better way of watering? This just doesn't work for me. Thank you
        Hi BMW66
        When you say that the plants slow down...do you mean when they start flowering they slow down growing taller or slow down drinking up the water? Perhaps you can post some good photos of your plants. And, tell us more about them...what strain are they, how old are they?
        Past Grows: Jack 47 Auto - La Bella Afrodita - Black Cream and Cheese Autos
        I like weed and science.

Comment

• BMW66
          BMW66 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't have them now. Bugs seem to slow growth. I just started new plants and thinking about the way all the roots turned out. I grew r years back to back, learned so much. But at the end seems to be a little disappointed.

I use cloth pots and find I have to bottom water some of them, if I dont then I have to water several times a day. This also keeps the lower part of the soil moist, and roots do grow into it.

Comment

• BMW66
          BMW66 commented
          Editing a comment
          I tried the smart pots, I've used Coco Liner. It's always the same. Roots all center ball like. Buds the size of my thumb, but I'd like to get bigger lol.

Well i've had fast absorption an slow i get what your saying. I try an pour slowly i mean on those trouble ones go slow on the pour from center out to the edge of pot. I have 1 right now takes longer to dry out and another that dries in 3days. I treat them as individuals water as needed.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I've used smart pots coco liners. I use Jiffy all purpose organic. Use fertilizer from my kitchen, Starbucks used coffee, egg shells, and banana peel. Then I started using molasses furring flowering because they seem to slow down dramatically once the buds start getting bigger. But as I think back, all the stems I pulled were balled up. It's why I thought maybe that 30%run off was not so good. Thanks.

Comment

• MrPNW
            MrPNW commented
            Editing a comment
            Barista...I’ll have a...lets see...coco coffee with banana egg flavor and molasses on top.

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Coffee contains caffeine, which is an herbicide, do wash them well!

Somebody said water the outer edges roots will follow outward. My roots always look bad. I smoke a lot and give it away lol it's great stuff. But I just would like to get it a little better this round 😊

Comment

I am so sick of dealing with the β€œwaterfall effect” I get when watering or pouring compost tea. Shoots straight out the sides at the top where the soil separates from the fabric. I’m constantly roughing up the soil to stop it before watering. I also have to move the pots off their risers so they can suck up all that goodness back into the pot. I like my pots up high so the bottoms don’t stay soggy.

Which is why I just got these for my next grow.
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ence-grow-bags
            https://www.instagram.com/p/CDoGLikB7Kf/?igshid=d5qsdaxch2oi

Watering definitely slows waaay down during flowering. I went from a 2-3 day during veg to a 3-4, mostly 4 now in flower after I removed all the large fan leaves.
            Last edited by MrPNW; 02-18-2021, 07:29 PM.

Equipment
            5x5x8 Gorilla Grow Tent β€’ Spider Farmer SF4000 β€’ AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
            β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”-
            1st Grow
            Started 01 Oct 2020 β€’ Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 β€’ Harvested 08 Mar 2021
            Black Gold organic potting soil β€’ Nature’s Living Soil β€’ Compost Tea using NLS
            Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              I dig a mote around the plant, pour the water into that slowly, then wait for that to be taken in and do it again, and again, etc..

I've recently been recycling my old soil and one thing I have noticed is that transplanted clones tend to ball and not entirely fill my pots.

Comment

• MrPNW
              MrPNW commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats interesting. My current and first grow are clones. They were originally in 3 gal pots but I transferred them to 7 about a month in. Almost harvest time. I will be trying to do the same with my soil so I will see what they did. The original 3 gallons was plain organic potting soil which is why I went into 7and surrounded it with living soil.
              Next grow it will be 7 with 1/3 super soil and 2/3 living soil and a rain science clone/seedling bags worth of plain soil in the center.

Thank you all so much.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X