No announcement yet.

Need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One issue I’m having with this living soil is you aren’t supposed to water to run off bc it removes the nutrients in the soil. If I give my plants more than a cup of water, it’s running right out the bottom. Which I don’t get, these are decent sized plants now in 3 gallon pots. If I only give them a cup of water, no runoff but I have droopy plants next time I check them.

My solution, screw living soil. I’m going to start watering/feeding as normal using FF trio nutes, watering to runoff and hope they kill the microorganisms in the soil so the plants don’t get over fed. We’ll see how it goes. I tried something new, wasted $50 on it but now I know easier doesn’t mean better.

Comment

Good news...
      I fed full nutes yesterday (Technaflora) plus a large dose of cal mag. I opened the tent today and they don't look worse! Actually they look alittle perked up! Maybe, just maybe there is some hope.
      5x5 Gorilla tent
      Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
      Infinity T8 exhaust fan
      Technaflora nutes
      Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• dilvish
        dilvish commented
        Editing a comment
        could just be their response to more water, regardless of nutrients. The nutes won't act that quickly so if you gave them a thorough watering they are likely happy because of that. One cup per 3 gallon pot with run off means they aren't getting enough water.
        if the water seems to be running right through the pot then I'd just give them a good flush with lots of properly PH'd water. Realistically you should be doing a flush every other watering anyway so the soil medium doesn't have a chance to store or build up unused nutrients.
        Next time, just get some good old fashioned organic potting soil and start adding nutes about a week after you plant the germinated seed.

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        Dilvish, this thread has been about growing in living soil. Unlike regular soil that needs some form of added nutrients, it’s already there. For that reason you’re not supposed to water to run off at all. I’m thinking not being able to water to runoff is the main issue I’m having. If I had plastic pots maybe living soil would work better because you don’t have to worry about washing all the nutrients out. All of mine are fabric though so it’s been impossible for me to give them enough water without it either pouring out the sides or bottom.

• dilvish
        dilvish commented
        Editing a comment
        I know what the difference in the soil is. My point was even living soil releases its nutrients slowly. flushing is a way of ensuring there is no build up. If you think flushing the soil will remove the nutrients in the living soil, then you may need to rethink the soil itself. Clearly one cup of water per watering isn't going to be enough

bboyfromwayback try bottom watering with them, remove the riser and put the water in the catch pan. It will get wicked up into the soil, I have 2 plants I must do this way, or water 3 times a day.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. That would be the same concept as AutoPots

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X