Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinegar for pH down

Good day friendly farmers!!!

I know I'm going to open up a bucket of worms on this one, but if like to advice.and thoughts from everyone...long time growers preferred. I'm running my hydroponics total volume is about 21 gallons and need to lower my pH. Not a lot...its about 6.5 or so. I've read a bit and looked into it, and have heard vinegar or cider vinegar works great and is a better alternative to GH or advanced nutrients. I love both companies and their products, but am thinking vinegar is a cheaper alternative...so...thoughts and opinions? Thanks eberyone

Rather than add a straight acid to lower your PH I would add a fertilizer that give the plant some food as well as lowers the PH. something like Super Phosphate. But that is more related to pasture experience than weed. so listen to others with more grow experience than me. Good Luck

Comment

I dont run hydro, but apple cider vinegar has good things in it. Lemons (limes also) would be good to use and the V-C kills chlorine and chloramine instantly! OR one could get ascorbic acid crystals and use that. OR vitamin C tablets, all kill the shit they put in our water.

Comment

• MrPNW
        MrPNW commented
        Editing a comment
        The owner of nature’s living soil told me he’s even used original coke, LOL. I went with Earth Juice.

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        I know a grower that uses coke on his plants as a foliar feed, his buds taste of burnt sugar, and are heavy with it which many mistake for trics!

I use apple cider vinegar with every watering. I'm growing in soil as well. I have well water with a ph of 8-9. I use a 1/2 tsp per gallon for every point I need it lowered. Seems to work.

Comment

I use pure lemon juice, primarily during flower. One of the smart people here (Rwise?) mentioned the agricultural PH down contains buffers that help protect the plants. This is my one concession to modifying Nebula Haze's nutrition for Coco-coir/perlite medium. I have noticed zero ill effects, over 4+ grows...but must admit, I don't detect any discernable flavor to my harvests.
        A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

Am I right to say use baking soda to raise your PH the natural way ?
          Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
          Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
          Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
          Full auto grow
          Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
          12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• MrPNW
            MrPNW commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah Malbec my fav. Malbec was originally used to “enhance” lesser quality wine to give it better balance. It was virtually unknown in the states until fairly recently (yes a few decades is considered recent in wine growing terms). I got Malbec juice imported one year to make wine (which hooked me) and shortly after the wine grape growers started planting it.

• Farmbuck
            Farmbuck commented
            Editing a comment
            Tell me if I'm wrong. You know that I'm french well French-Canadian hey lollll I find the Pinot Noir from Oregon better than the one de la Bourgogne in France. Believe me I know my wine lollll

• MrPNW
            MrPNW commented
            Editing a comment
            I did not, lol. Yeah OR Pinot Noir is really kicking but in the world scene. Every grape variety will one day find its perfect microclimate I figure.

Vinegar is only a short term adjustment. Proper pH down has buffers that help to stabilize the adjustment to last longer.

Let me share some advice...don’t be cheap. Nutes for hydro and additives like pH down are part of the costs of growing and need to be seen as an investment into your final product. For the few extra dollars to buy a bottle of proper pH down will save you time and money over 16 weeks. It’s a purpose designed product that is designed specifically for one purpose...to safely lower the pH of water in a manner that is safe for plants.

Why screw around with vinegar and have unknown/unpredictable results?
          There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
          1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
          2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
          3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

It was more as an just in case emergency last resort if I ever ran out. Great advice though, it's always appreciated

Comment

I've found that phosphoric acid in GH ph down does a great job.
            It's quite concentrated, sp a little goes a long way.
            For ph up, GH used to sell it in powdered form, but it's only in liquid now.
            I just use 90g of potassium carbonate in a liter bottle mixed with water.
            WHAT???
            5x5 grow space
            900w of Vero's and F-strips
            4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Keeps pH stable and a little goes a long way.

Comment

• MrPNW
                MrPNW commented
                Editing a comment
                I just got mine.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X