Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible light burn?

Hey everyone!

This is my first grow of Auto Bluetooth from MSNL and it is exciting to start this process!

Yesterday was week 6.

I am planting in Fox Farms Happy Frog and 20 - 25% of perlite that I surrounded around the seed with since I am growing directly in the final pot. Under and around the Happy Frog, I mixed Ocean Forest
    along with about 20% - 25% perlite. I am using a Phlizon 1200W LED Plant Grow Light I got off Amazon and have had that on 24/7 since the beginning.

I just turned on the bloom light last Tuesday.

I'm not quite sure, but I think it is suffering from light burn? My girlfriend kept spraying the canopy with a water bottle and I told her this could happen.
    The first thing I did was move the light as high as possible and I purchased a Phlizon 600w LED light to "finish" the grow in hopes this would not burn the plants.
    That is currently what I have lighting the plants with both switches on.

I was trying to do LST on it, but it turned into chaos. I just pushed through and left it and tried to do the best job I could. I have been watering with purified drinking
    water from Walmart as my water in my house is from a well and not great quality. So I assumed this would remedy that. I tried to spare no expense on products so I would get quality yields.
    I have the Fox Farms trio, PH down, and sledgehammer as far as nutes. I have heard mixed things about adding them to Ocean Forest though. So I only gave them once last week
    and it was a teaspoon of Big Bloom and Grow big.

I am growing only 2 plants at a time for personal use. 1 indica and 1 sativa in 5 gallon Vivosun plant grow bags. I have the temp around 69 at night 73 during the day give or take a degree.
    Humidity ranges from 45 - 55. PH meter from here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The grow room is the MARS HYDRO Grow Tent 2.3'x2.3' 1680D Canvas Reflective Mylar Grow Tents with Removable Floor Tray for Indoor Hydroponic Plant Growing Room 27"x27"x63".

This https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 PH meter is reading a touch over 7 and I plan on adding PH down with a proper
    adjustment tomorrow for the next watering.

I tried to give as much info as possible. If posting links was against rules, I apologize and will remove them.

This plant still does not look great and seems to be wilting and a lime color and I was wondering if anyone could assist? Any help would be awesome! Thanks so much!

Welcome to the forum! I’m sorry but I don’t think I can answer your question about light burn, but after looking at your photos I feel compelled to advise you to please get any and all electrical devices off of the ground! Safety first, always! You just gotta do it.

How much money will you spend on electricity when growing your own weed? There's no need to guess, read this page or try our new calculator and find out!

Comment

Is that led light a real 600wattage lamp? Or does it have another actual wattage output ?

Looks more like a root problem to me. New grow is twisted a lot.

And a defoliation would help a lot, you can easily cut off some fan leaves for sure.

What about your watering practices? How much water do you use, when you water them?

And spraying the canopy with a mister won’t help the plant, use that energy on giving the roots water instead. If you don’t have bugs or nothing, don’t spray all the leaves with water.

But for me ia doesn’t look like a light problem but more a root problem.

what does the Ph says. ? In the soil and in the water feeding ?
      Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
      You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Nitrogen deficiency is my guess.
        And i agree with echdk3. Always keep electrical up off the ground so there is no risk of water reaching it.
        There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
        1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
        2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
        3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          It could be, but it will normally go from the bottom and up. If it’s a deficiency in Nitrogen

Already put the electrical up off the ground. Thanks for that everyone.

Comment

I definitely wanted to do a defoliation, but everything I read said experienced growers only. This is my first grow.

The 1200 watt light is actually 241. The 600 is actually 100.

I have been watering when the top soil feels dry up to my first knuckle and I have been giving more water as the plant progressively got bigger. I did a full gallon to flush the nutes after last Wednesday. Only issue with that being my first grow...I'm not sure if I have a correct feel for it...so I could be overwatering.

I have a digital PH reader coming for the water today. The dirt is reading a bit below 8.

Any ideas for the meantime?

Thanks for everything everyone!

Comment

Well You Can easily take some fan leaves of without damaging the plant and let some airflow in. I just think it’s too many leaves in one place with the plant.

after these wattage output I don’t think it’s a light burn..
            After you made the flush, did you give it a light nutrient feed or not?
            And if you are getting a PH digital today, then I assume you don’t know what the Ph have been all a long ?

the soil Ph is a little high. And maybe this is why you have some symptoms in your plant now.
            PH is very crucial for the plants well being

Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
            You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I will be taking off bottom leaves today. Ones that look bad.

I stopped all nutrients after that. I assumed the pH was ok because I was and am using purified drinking water to water. I should know like anything, assuming can do things like this.

From here on out, I will be able to test the PH of the water I will be giving them.

Thanks so much!

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
                CaptainWiese91 commented
                Editing a comment
                You can never assume what the Ph is, it will change in the soil according to what nutrients is left and what have been eaten by the plant. You should always know what your Ph is, it will save you a lot of problems with the plant.
                And some nutrients are better absorbed in the plant in the lower range of the scale from 6,0-7.0.

I don’t know what purified drinking water is. I live in place where you can drink the tap water. But if it’s without iron and other minerals you need to change water.

• Catfish22
                Catfish22 commented
                Editing a comment
                I use the spring water from Walmart. It will pH at 6.0 consistently and will help with cal-mag.
                I still pH every gallon when I open it and after mixing nutes but it had worked well for me so far with autos in coco.
                Not sure how much you will have to adjust for your soil grow.
                Happy farming!!

Thanks for the vital information. Now that I have the meter coming, I can have control over it.

So basically now before I water. i just test it, then adjust to get it between 6 -7 before adding? With or without nutrients?

The nutrients thing confused me because I have been trying to use this website as a bible and it has some confusing information. With the soil i'm using, which is a mix of Happy Frog and Ocean Forest, some say nutrients are not needed at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
                CaptainWiese91 commented
                Editing a comment
                Always put the supplements and nutrients in the water first. Then wait 20-30 min and test the PH of the water. Then you know if you should adjust the Ph up or down in the water.
                Aim after 6,5 it’s a good place to be in the Ph range for soil.

About your soil - I know nothing about that American soil. I’ve been using pure standard tomato soil for the last 7 years. So I can’t give you an answer for that sorry

Thanks again!

Comment

you said your girlfriend was always spraying the canopy. that can definitely add to the humidity. If I had to guess I'd say it's more of a humidity / overwatering issue as some of the leaves look quite droopy. Light burn would likely cause discolouring of the tips but generally at the top of the canopy not the lower leaves.

the soil has likely depleted all it's nutrients by week 6 so nutrients will help just make sure you start with half the recommendation and work from there. Every other watering should have nutrients but remember to check your soil to make sure it has dried out a bit ( first 2 inches of topsoil) before you water and every other watering should be a flush with properly pH'd water.

Do some thinning of the fan leaves and get some airflow in there. a fan circulating the air can make a world of difference. Just remember not to drop your temps. The fan will only move the air around it will not drop the temp in the tent. In fact adding an electric fan may up the temp slightly because of the heat the motor will put out.
              I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

After reading the comments and replies, I'm going with over watering. I have a mother plant that did this too, pale green and droopy, and it was because I kept watering because I was going by looks and not the weight of the pot. Funny too because I know better than that 😂 This can look like deficiencies, root problems, etc. My suggestion for this is to lift the pot now while it's wet and note the weight, let it dry up for a few days and when the pot is light, water again.

As for defoliating, it's a little scary the first time, but once you do it you'll see it helps a lot. It may say advanced growers but you'll never advance if you don't try. Start with the dead/damaged stuff, remove some of the leaves in the center blocking lower bud sites. That light is enough for that area, but it won't penetrate very deep without help so keep that in mind. I've had a few cheap LEDs and they work fine but you have to keep them closer than they suggest usually.

As far as your soil, it's fine with little or no nutrients. I had most of my ladies in bigger pots with super soil for the bottom 1/4-1/3. Someone had told me that soil had everything in it that I needed (FFOF and FFHF mixed), so I decided to test it. I left one plant in a 2 gallon pot and switched them all over to 12/12. She was small because I didn't veg her long, but she had better buds than some of the bigger ones. I am still using the same soil a year later and have only added more soil because I had a lot of pots to fill. I've had everything blended everything together now (super soil and regular) for a while and still not seeing signs of deficiencies or bad pH levels (I'm bad and don't check pH). Definitely get that pH down a little though if you can.

Hope all that helps. Sorry for the long response, just wanted to try and cover everything in one post. Welcome and happy growing!

Comment

• Krazydiamond
                  Krazydiamond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you so much!

This information was great!

From your photos it looks like the fabric pots are sitting directly on the platters. I understand it is better to have the pots slightly elevated above the platters to help dry out the bottom.

Comment

• echdk3
                  echdk3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also to catch runoff

• Krazydiamond
                  Krazydiamond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They are elevated. Thanks!

The pots are elevated...not sitting in water. So I can suck up and catch runoff.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

People keep mentioning overwatering, and it seems to be a huge problem for beginners like myself.

Any other tips you guys can offer? I have read so much but it seems to be a thing you need to just get used to.

I did the defoliation last night and fed this morning with a minimal amount of nutrients and water at 6.5 PH.

Now when giving the nutrients, should I pour more or less water? Should the roots "sit in the nutrients" or should I add water until it runs out from the bottom?

Thanks again everyone, you guys are all awesome!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When i water or feed nutes. I will look at HOW the pot is draining. Is it running out the sides before it gets to the roots? I lift the pot to decide when it needs watering Know that weight it's key. Of course i allow maybe a cup of nutes runoff, why waste grow or bloom food no need. Water till runoff the bottom, water very slowly at first helps to absorb in soils.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X