Curling Cola Tips??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curling Cola Tips??

Hey guys! It is day 36 since I flipped to 12/12, and several of the buds tips have started to curl! Is this normal? I’ve posted a good example. You can see the stem itself is straight, but just the very tip of the bud has curled to the side. What’s up with this?? Should I be worried?

They are Girl Scout Cookies from Nirvana, grown in FFOF with the FF dirty dozen nutes, grown under a Black Dog LED PhytoMAX-2 600, 630 watts from the wall. Typical humidity these days ranges from 38% to 44%, and typical temp is mid-70s with lights on and 68-70 with lights off.

Thanks guys!
    Attached Files

It shouldn’t affect anything, I have a Northern Lights Auto that did this as well, I’m about to harvest it sometime next week, still going strong. Though I’m curious myself if anyone has any input as to why, genetics possibly?
    Attached Files

Comment

• echdk3
      echdk3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey thanks for the reply! That photo does seem to show the same kind of thing I’m seeing. I’m curious if they straightened back out when you watered? Mine don’t seem to ever straighten back out so I’m curious if you had the same experience.

• GreenAlchemist
      GreenAlchemist commented
      Editing a comment
      They never did straighten out for me, even freshly watered. They kept the structure like this the whole flowering phase, but.. I didn’t see any issues because of it. I’m thinking it may be genetics but I haven’t found out for sure yet.
      Good news is: if you have what I do, it’s nothing to be concerned about at all. They’ll still fatten up and show good health

I had the same thing with one of my plants. Seemed like it was thirsty a lot in the last few weeks. After I fed /watered they would stand back up. They were big bud starin from mlsn. it also had seeds but the other plant didnt.
    Attached Files

Comment

• echdk3
      echdk3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your reply, but I don’t think I can really see that same phenomenon in your photo. Those colas look perfect, at least to me! I know my girls aren’t thirsty because I’m soaking them through (using fabric pots) every other day at this point. I don’t think I’m over-watering since the leaves look good and there’s little to no gnat activity (as evidenced by the yellow sticky pads), but I’m definitely not under-watering.

Meh...don’t worrry about it. As long as the bud is fattening-up and not falling off, it’s all good. 👍
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• echdk3
      echdk3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks YY. I didn’t know if this was like a red flag or something. Honestly these girls are both just so healthy (I’ve been very lucky!) that it would be pretty surprising if this was a real problem but there were no other symptoms. Still curious why it’s happening though! I was thinking maybe they’re getting too much light and are curling away from it, but the leaves look great.

Overall, nothing to worry about.
    A couple of things in your post that do stand out.
    You will get better growth with LEDs if you can get the room temps in the low 80's.
    The other thing that WILL induce stress is the low RH.
    I try to use a vpd chart to adjust temp/rh in the grow space.
    When it's that dry in the room, it creates high vascular pressure in the plant.
    While I do reduce RH late in flower IF I have chunky colas that are susceptible to PM I typically run my room in the 60% RH range during almost all of the run.
    Air movement is a better deterrent to pm rather than subjecting the plants to desert conditions.
    Last edited by gbauto; 02-11-2021, 10:55 PM.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Thanks for that, gbauto! So this is my first grow. I’ve been shooting for mid to upper 70s because I’m trying to avoid light, airy, larfy buds, and a lot of advice online says to avoid high temps to do that. And I’ve been shooting for about 40-45% RH to (1) avoid mold and WPM and (2) stress the buds into producing more trichromes. But you’re saying that your experience with LEDs is that you run temps in the 80s and RH about 60% and you don’t have any of these problems? Now I don’t know what to do! I will add that the leaves all look pretty great, no droop and pretty solid beautiful shade of deep green. I’ve been lucky enough to never have lost a single leaf or had even one turn bad colors or show major burn marks, so I figured I was doing it right. What do you all think?
      Last edited by echdk3; 02-12-2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• gbauto
        gbauto commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I routinely run my grows with that temp/humidity combo.
        The thing that's vital is air movement in the space. That prevents micro-climates from forming.
        On room temps with led's, it comes down to leaf surface temps.
        Cannabis tends to get the best growth when leaf temps are in the upper 70's. To achieve this with led's, you must have a higher ambient temp because of no IR to warm the leaf. A simple tool is an instant-read ir temp gun. Point it at leaf surfaces across the canopy to get an accurate idea of what the plant is experiencing.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X