Grow journal πŸ““ 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Grow journal πŸ““ 2021

I joined the community last year after years of reading posts for advice. I was intrigued by people creating grow journals through their whole operation. As the next grow season starts soon, and I prepare my soil, I decided to start my own.

I have an established herb garden - mint, lavender, borage, sage, chamomile, etc... I had my plants growing among the herbs last year. They are all great companion plants for a variety of reasons (pests, disease, nutrition). As soon as I harvested the plants, I basically began prepping the ground.

I planted fava beans and winter wheat as cover crops to help add new nitrogen to the soil. And all season long, Ive been dumping my egg shells, coffee grounds, and banana peels along with the occasional paper bag to help everything break down. The other day, I added some ash from my fireplace and bonemeal. Then today, I tilled the whole area and added compost, sea soil, and some leftover coconut coir to the area so it can all start breaking down. I will till again and then put a heavy black plastic over it to really speed up the process.

Hoping all my OCD tendencies will pay off haha πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

Attached Files

So you have not planted the cannabis seeds yet ?
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the β€œbest” lol

Comment

• amy24
      amy24 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, will wait until spring, mid-March

Did you know that coffee grounds contain caffeine? Did you know that caffeine is an herbicide? Ouch! Now if you "wash" the caffeine out well, the rest is good to grow. I dont take the chance with my grow.

Comment

• amy24
      amy24 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, I should have said used coffee grounds. Coffee grounds that have already been used, excellent source of nitrogen, highly recommended as a fertilizer in the seedling stage.

I like what you are doing it looks good. I'll be following along. I do have a recommendation take out the Christmas lights they won't break down in the soil with the organic material they're just gonna be a problem especially with the rototiller. 🀠🌲
    TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
    s silver haze... strawberry haze...
    .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
    TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
    2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
    TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
    3 gallon pots all autos
    Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
    πŸ‘‡my one n only journalπŸ‘‡
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• amy24
      amy24 commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha I noticed those in the background after! They’ve only been sitting there for a week, you would think I would moved them by now πŸ˜¬πŸ˜†

• ChrisTheMick
      ChrisTheMick commented
      Editing a comment
      A festive grow. Theyre gonna be festivus buds

LOL atta girl you let us know when you got your garden ready to plant. We will help you get going. I really love gardening outdoors.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• amy24
      amy24 commented
      Editing a comment
      Feels good to be out there again!

So I guess I post again just as a reply?? Just started germinating this week, a week earlier than I usually do but my good grower friend already had his in soil so I decided to start with a round. Started with five feminized white widow seeds I had ordered last year but didn’t end up using, plus 10 or so random seeds that came from some plants I let grow a bit too long last year. Did the soak in water for 12-18 hours then transfer to a paper towel deal. One from the random group grew a very long taproot right away so it’s already in a red solo cup by a south facing window starting today. I have always used sea soil, I just filtered it through my hands to get rid of any of the big chunks to try to make it more delicate for the little seedling haha. It’s been about three days and 3/5 white widow seeds have cracked and are forming a tiny little taproot now. Fingers crossed for more, if not, still lots of time to try again with more random seeds.

Comment

Pics

Comment

• Sylvester
        Sylvester commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice strong shoots there Amy.πŸ™‚

Well done Amy, I like the look of your garden πŸŒ»πŸ¦‹ Tea leaves are good source of Nitrogen too.
      πŸŒ™ Sowed on New Moon in Pisces too! πŸ™‚ Water sign & New Moon; they were bound to take off well.
      With growing a garden , I guess you already knew about that.
      I will be following along too. An outdoor grow is a fantasy I have , shared garden makes almost impossible.
      Best of wishes.

Comment

• amy24
        amy24 commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually don’t know much about planting with the moon but love the tip! Sounds right up my alley, if you have any good sites to suggest, I’d love to learn more.

• Sylvester
        Sylvester commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed , great old paperback that used to come out every year is the Farmer's Almanac, they always mention the New Moon.
        I'm sure it still exists , perhaps online now.
        Many handy sites on you tube about growing.
        I follow Astrology, so the Sun & Moon closely , you really couldn't have picked a better time.
        Astro.com is the site I use for present situation & plotting charts, it's free & easy to use.
        Accuweather site shows the Moon phases & tides too.

Don’t know if I need to be this detailed but since I’m clearly obsessed πŸ˜‰ decided to share yesterday’s steps in the garden. Also got two more germinated seeds (white widow, feminized) into red solo cups so have three by the window now.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Good job amy24 it's warmer here where i'm at but still too early for my plantings. Amy how do you treat for bugs in your garden? Girl just make sure you time the outdoor planting and you harden off those starts before they get into the soil. I can't stress enough waiting till you have more than 12hrs of daylight sun up to sun set. I can't wait either I'm clearing out the thick moss out of my beds now. Have fun

SoOrbudgal Awesome, thanks for the advice! Sunrise and sunset around 7 right now so should be good by the time they are ready but I did start a tad early this year so 🀞 it all works out. I just started germinating a few more seeds just in case too. For bugs, the companion plants (mint, lavender,etc) around are supposed to help plus I also plant garlic randomly around my garden just for pest prevention. Also will plant marigolds and sunflowers when they are ready, they are supposed to distract the pests. I also ended up doing some tea tree sprays throughout the summer. Been meaning to try neem oil - any experience using that?

Comment

Cool beans amy24 just as long as they get a great big veg start it's all good. I'm not starting my seeds till maybe mid April maybe later. No don't use neem, i use dish soap or a product called safer. Also diamascus earth on top of soil i would make a ring out from the base. I put 2 tbls of dish soap in a sprayer filled with water. Hit aphids on my camillia and rose bushes with it. We have alot of " rust " on plants from wet and cold. It clears up also Epsome salts is really good to.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thanks for the tips! ❀️ I will also use on my roses! Going to go read about diamascus earth right now too!

Comment

Lots to report...I was up to 7 seedlings, went camping for three days and tried to convince my husband to let me take them with us haha but alas when we came home a couple had died and then over the next few days another couple bit the dust. I think it was my fungus gnat problem from my house plants I tried to kill them all in February but there were a few stragglers and I found tons of them living in this bag of flower bulbs I bought recently. I could literally see a little β€œbite” or stress point on the stems as if they had been pinched and then they just dried up. I still have two strong seedlings, one from the first round of seeds and one from the second. Good learning point here, the first round I used sea soil like I always have, but this year realized it’s been a silly seed starter because it’s just so dense. Second round, I switched to an organic potting soil starter mix and that seedling is doing WAY better than the first one. The sea soil one from a week earlier looks stunted beside the starter mix seedling.

Also did more to my garden plot haha I just can’t stop. I was reading about trench composting for my root vegetables and thought I mays well dig a big hole under my planting area and trench some stuff there! So I did. Dug deep into the clay part of the soil and really tilled it up and added peat moss, sand and seal soil to break up the clay. Then, I added banana, coffee grounds, wood ashes, seaweed, worm poo, some compost from my bin, egg shells (and the carton) and some dandelions I had pulled out of the yard earlier. (Side note dandelions have big long tap roots that get lots of nutrients from deep in the ground.) Then I put all the soil back on top, making sure to break up the thick clay chunks and break it all down. I’m going to try to take it super easy on the fertilizing when they are flowering this year so happy to have a deep pocket of nutrients waiting to be used

I have six more seeds soaking, and that’s the last of them. I can only grow 4 plants so wondering if I should get more seeds or just clone the ones I have when I top them which worked a little too well for me last year to the point where I had way more than I was allowed. One is definitely feminized the other is a total random.

Hope you all are enjoying your start to Spring too! πŸ’

Comment

Bummer you lost some younguns. Good on ya to keep at it. Maybe get a few autoflower seeds - they only take 90 - 100 days or so from seed to harvest.

I think once you get them growing they are going to do very well in that grow medium you concocted .
              Last edited by Canuck147; 04-07-2021, 03:50 PM.
              ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
              Mars Hydro
              Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Still growing! Lots of sun this week! Was bringing them
                outside with me in the afternoon, now have been putting them out right when I get up in a super sunny spot in the yard and the. Then they end the day in my super sunny window. ❀️

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looking good boy do they love the sunshine, that's where mine would be if i did'nt have big pots big plants right now to many steps to take back an forth.

• amy24
                  amy24 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jealous of your big pots! Do you think these two are ready to go in the ground tomorrow?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X