X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clones

SensiStarship (Sensi Star x Island Sweet Skunk) x Blueberry

Potting Soil Pro-Mix HP.

Grow Light Phlizon 1200 watts LED grow light.
    Grow Tent 36 inches by 36 inches by 72 inches high.
    Circulation 2 six inch fans.
    Added Heat 1 incandescing fifty watt light bulb.
    Humidity 48% to 54% depending when I water the plants.
    Temperature 70 degrees F. with lights off. 78 degrees F. with lights on.

I was thinking of starting a few clones. I have 5 plants on the go, one is exceptional, two are doing very well, and the other two are runts. All are the same strain and were started from seeds. I have read the tutorials on starting clones and it doesn't sound too difficult. From what I understand I should be taking the clones from my best plant, is this correct?

Potting Soil Pro-Mix HP.

If you got 2 good plants, take some from each. Then grow out those clones to see if one truly is better than the other.👍
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Just took these this a.m. from my tent. Zkittlez & GG #4 i took 2 from Zkittlez 3 from GG #4. Cut at angle of bottom stem dipped into water then clonex gel then into Ph water. They'll sit there till i see a couple roots on ea before i put them into a solo cup for further rooting an under a little t-5 tube light an CFL.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• MuskieMan
        MuskieMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks SoOrbudgal I have used your method with other plants and it works. I was going to follow along with the tutorial and use Jiffy plugs under a dome. Then transplant when I see roots popping out of the plug...

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        looks awesome budgal! Makes me wanna try clones some day

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah maybe one day I'll try it but I need to do more reading on it.

That sounds like a fun combo of strains in that one. Yes, you can clone the plants to continue growing them as you flower the original (donor) plant. I like to clone even the runts of the group, you never know how the smoke or flavor profile will turn out. The winner might be the runt. So I like to clone them all and then after I have smoked the plant the clones were taken from, that is when I start to decide which to keep and which to cull.

Comment

• MuskieMan
        MuskieMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks ChadWestport, I am new to this, is it normal for seeds to grow at a different rate even under the same conditions? I have 5 plants, 3 are doing great and 2 are only half the size of their sisters.

• ChadWestport
        ChadWestport commented
        Editing a comment
        Even in the same room, soil conditions can be different, distance to the light, amount of circulating air etc. But its safe to consider it all equal when it comes to gauging plant response, when we are talking about a 4x4 tent or smaller. In some strains, males show rapid growth and great vigor in the veg stage, which sometimes is the reason certain plants outperform others in veg. This is not a definitive sign, so they likely could be female too.

But yes, some can be shorter or taller than others, even from the same seed pack. Think of brothers and sisters, or just siblings in general. They have the same parents, just like the seeds did, but they are often different heights due to genetic potential (genotype) which is being displayed differently as genetic expression (phenotype)

• gbauto
        gbauto commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, that's kinda my point in taking clones...I want to preserve a 'keeper' pheno.
        I'm in the middle of a pheno hunt on 5 Irie Genetics Morning Dew.
        They were sprouted and vegged in #1pots for a couple of weeks, usually about 5-6 nodes.
        When I have enough growth above the 3rd node set for a viable clone, it's topped and then flipped to flower to sex them.
        I cull the males and flower the girls to see what we have.
        THEN after a dry and 'quick cure', I give em a smoke, and if something memorable appears I'll do an ethanol wash to see what the rosin looks like.
        I have my 'keeper pheno of Primal Punch and the 5 tester girls sitting in my mother tent. I'm sure that some of them are trembling in fear of chop day...

Yes i've used those pellets with transplanting clones. Now i just go straight into a dirt cup an put a baggie over it for a dome. It all works well, good luck and look forward to seeing your grow.

indoor/outdoor grower
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

Started 6 clones a few days ago, after an initial drooping the leaves started to perk up. Wish me luck...

Potting Soil Pro-Mix HP.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect looking yep pretty easy to do really. All these cuttings need is warmth an alittle light keep moist. Mine are still in the water waiting for a hair of a root to show. You got this

My first attempt at cloning, and it worked. Roots are starting to pop out of the Jiffy plugs. This is day number 6. Thanks for the input guys and gals... I will give them a few more days and transplant to 4 inch pots... Muskie Man
        Attached Files
        Last edited by MuskieMan; 02-06-2021, 01:09 PM.
        Potting Soil Pro-Mix HP.

Comment

I'm learning quickly that clones are an incredible way to keep good genetics going. When I topped my 3 plants, I just stuck the tops into an 8 oz solo cup with coco with no root hormone. Only 1 survived and rooted but man that 1 rooted like you wouldn't believe! At 2 weeks she had doubled in size and last night I noticed root tips coming out of the drain holes in the bottom. When I slipped her out of the cup to transplant, she was already getting root bound with roots curling around the bottom of the cup. That's incredibly fast root growth considering I used no root hormone! I was going to just let her flower with the seed plants but I might reconsider and veg her a bit longer. I want a few more clones from her sister too.Think what they might do with root hormone used. Plant directly into the big pot and just stand back! Does anyone have thoughts or experience with taking clones from clones? I've read it works but the growth nodes are uneven on the resulting plants. Not good for manifold training as I understand it, but are there other disadvantages?

TOKABIGONE
          Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
          Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
          Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
          Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
          Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
          i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
          My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
          make pH correction unnecessary
          Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
          8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
          Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
          Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            You can take clones from clones once they are large enough an you do want them healthy. Many times taken a clone from a clone but plants were at least 2months old never done a auto but plenty of photoperiod some folks i think have successfully cloned a auto here on this site.

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya one can clone an auto, just remember its clock is already running.

Originally posted by TOKABIGONE View Post
          Does anyone have thoughts or experience with taking clones from clones? I've read it works but the growth nodes are uneven on the resulting plants. Not good for manifold training as I understand it, but are there other disadvantages?

TOKABIGONE
          I have gone clone to clone for over a decade. This works great for limited space or limited plant count. I've kept a single seed producing for years from this method, its fairly common. The health of your plants are important. If your mother plant gets sick, it passes on the sickness and lack of vigor to the clone. So if you allow your plant that you keep going clone to clone to clone on to get pest or pathogen pressure, that can reduce the yields of future cuts. The same thing applies evenly to mother plants as well, so just be sure to keep them happy and you will have many years of smoke.

They do grow in an alternating branch pattern, but it makes little difference, you'll be able to train and manipulate them as you want. While it isn't the straight forward traditional manifold, I still get some manifolding done on the clones.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
            TOKABIGONE commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks ChadWestport. your answer was straight to my point and very good info, especially regarding the health of the donor plant. I would not have thought of that in that way even though I would not want to clone an obviously sick plant. Your experience with manifolding with clones is interesting to me as well. I'll have more questions for you later I'm sure. I am still a newbie on my first indoor grow but I am a dreamer and a good planner. My next grow I will have both a veg and a flower cabinet so I can keep a Mother or two as well as clone starts and seedlings while flowering in the other. Good night sir! TOKABIGONE

• ChadWestport
            ChadWestport commented
            Editing a comment
            My pleasure man, I'm glad you started to grow your own. I've had to play with various training techniques due to limiting ceiling space, so its been trial and error for many things. If you have any questions, just start a thread here for all of the smart people here and you can feel free to PM me as well. Enjoy the journey!

This is day number 8 and 4 of 6 cuttings have rooted. Some of the leaves are turning yellow but some of the tiny leaves are actually growing a bright shade of green.... Muskie Man
          Potting Soil Pro-Mix HP.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            My lower leaf on my clones also yellowed an dry i remove them leave a little bit of stem. As long as your seeing that top green an upright they will fill in. Great job easy peasy

Got 5 of 6 clones to start, not bad for a first effort, dumped one because it looked terrible. Transplanted to 4 inch pots and gave a super low dose of Flora Nova Grow... Muskie Man
          Potting Soil Pro-Mix HP.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            That's great. Mine look abit off right now they are 2wks since i cut them. Took 8 days to root? Any way the roots are digging in this i see, no real growth yet on main stem but wait a week things will begin to look healthier.

Actually went 6 for 6, was about to dump the smallest of the clones when I noticed a single white root sticking out of the bottom of the plug... so I planted it... Might turn out to be the best one. Once I get these going I will be experimenting with different training methods, Particularly like Nebulas manifold method...

Click image for larger version

Name:	dcVHhI6.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	489828
          Potting Soil Pro-Mix HP.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Those look very similar to mine right now, i lifted mine to check roots but don't see any yet out the bottom but won't be long. I gave mine a very low dose of fish/guano tea just enough to tease their roots

• MuskieMan
            MuskieMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey SoOrbudgal, I gave mine a super low dose of Flora Nova and are they ever responding. I put the water in the saucers under the plants to pull the roots down... Will take the remaining yellow leaves off in a few days... Thanks for all your input...

Clones are one month old and are doing great. I gave some away and the ones on the left were started recently...

Name:	Y2Os7Yq.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	496110
          Potting Soil Pro-Mix HP.

Comment

Here's mine MuskieMan these are going to be placed into there fabric pots today. I've been adjusting my outdoor tent trying to keep the heat up as of now my clones are growing too fast for the CFL. The little one is the zkittlez she is slower. All 30days old. These are going outside with 4 autos also timer on for 20 on 4 off longer light needed for temps.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

Hey SoOrbudgal I started a few more clones, just experimenting. This time I just stuck them in soil and used some rooting compound. They are the three smallest ones on the left... They drooped a little but then perked right up after 24 hours... I have it in mind to do a sea of green with about 12 young plants in smaller containers... What size container would you use???

Name:	TTKbHYQ.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	496829

Potting Soil Pro-Mix HP.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                I go only to 3gal no less with photos. Some one else here may go 2gal. if they are fabric pots. Man i don't want to show you my clones right now there in a out door tent and sir they are not liking the cool space. I got my timer on 20 on 4 off to keep the tent up to a mere 70f during day after that lights off it's not looking good. My chicken coop heater barely cutting it.

Those clones look great heck now your the king cloner LOL

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X