No announcement yet.

Are my babies ok? Pale green...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Are my babies ok? Pale green...

Hi guys, it's the usual suspect again. I'd just like some advice from you expert growers out there. My 6 days old cheese is getting a bit too "yellow" for my liking and I'd love to know what you think.
    I'm planting on coco coir/perlite (70/30) and feeding CANNA range nutes. Since day one I'm giving it cal-mag (few drops/L) and rhizotonic (same) and only yesterday I started adding A+B. I'm using fresh rain water (25ppm hanna). And the total feeding EC is aprox 0.4. Temp is about 26Β°C (79F) and RH is 54-60%. Light distance is at 24" on 75% with mars hydro ts1000.
    Now, the coco was pre buffered but I washed the living hell out of it and buffered it myself with cal-mag but not enough(??) before adding just rain water at the germination stage.
    Should I be worried with this bleaching?
    What do you recommend I should do?
    Sorry about these many details but I want to make sure I descriminate every step I took till now.
    My two other seedlings (GG#4) just popped yesterday and they seem alright.
    Thank you dear growers🌱

What is the pH of your water? I don't think that's it but it never hurts to check. I believe they are just under fed, that's what it looks like to me at least. I would try slightly increasing the nutrients next time and see if that helps. They look like they're just a little low on nitrogen to me. That's where I'd start. I may be wrong, but someone with more experience should be by to give some more input.

Comment

Thanks dphipps. Last time I fed them with 5.9 pH... the thing is, should I get a nice runoff on them being so little? Because only today I fed the bigger one enough to get about 10% runoff. Could it be that the roots are not able to suck the right nutes because of salt buildup?
      Thanks again man πŸ‘Š

Comment

When they're that small it doesn't take much water because of the roots being so small, they only reach down so far. In soil I usually water seedlings with a spray bottle once or twice a day. I've never grown in coco though so I don't really know how fast it dries out or anything. I'm sure the same can be applied here? The bigger one, you should be able to water with a little runoff, but let it dry in between (usually 2-3 days for most). I hope someone else chimes in to help here. I'm kind of just going on my experience but it's hard because I haven't done coco yet. I think that may be soon on my list.

Comment

• Sylvester
          Sylvester commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed dphipps1020 , I've never used food on such young seedlings.
          Only water for first 2 weeks , then very low strength for next 2weeks.
          But I've only ever grown in soil before , imagine coco would need some food, but low strength.

Don't know where you are but where I am rain water is extremely acidic.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I appreciate your help guys. What I read about coco is don't let it dry completely so I spray them everyday.
          The rain water here is about 7.5 pH and I always go down to 5.8 minimum.

Comment

Good advice here ADSL . It is endearing that your so concerned for your babies , & rightly so.
            Only 6 days old & others just 2days? It seems early to me to feed them , I just give water & spray first 2 weeks, pray they don't dampen off & fall over!
            But, I've never grown in coco before , so imagine you will need some very low strength nutrients.
            Have you generated your own grow guide at the Canna site? Lets you put in size of nutrient tub, water type etc.
            I've been following their guide - mostly , often give a bit less than they say.
            Good your keeping up with ph readings , I didn't bother until this grow. Just be careful not over water them & don't spray while under the light as that can burn them.
            As a thought, are you using a weak foliar feed already? Particularly only spray that on in dark.
            Last edited by Sylvester; 01-27-2021, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Hello Bud

Definitely deficiency, funny enough I had the same last week cause I was too lazy to buffer properly.... πŸ™„ Not sure if ur using canna coco, I do, but whatever they write on the packaging that its ready to use and buffered is complete bollocks. You can use it straight away for established plants but definitely not for seedlings. I've done it twice and had issues with both.

I always buffer at 50% strength with veg phase nutes plus double strength calmag with added chelated iron for at least 12 hours. I know many say just to buffer with calmag but I find that's not quite true especially when you dive a little deeper into the chemistry of coco.

I use biobizz and feed straight away with 50% strength and that's going well,not sure about canna nutes though. Give your girls some veg feed and I'm sure they will be fine in a day or two.

Hope that helps buddy

Comment

A tad bit tiny for nutrients if you ask me - after 3 weeks I slowly introduce nutrients. First person I've read about that put nutrients into their grow medium before an actual plant.
                More nutrients does not equal faster growth.
                ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                Mars Hydro
                Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I grow in coco/perlite using canna A+B along with Calmag and i feed right from the start using 5ml of canna a+b and 2ml of calmag per 8 litres water but only feed every other time.Just increase as required.
                  Last edited by george66; 01-27-2021, 03:19 PM.
                  Grow tent=120x60x150 for veg,300x150x160 for flowering
                  Current grow=4x dwarf autos,
                  Medium=coco/perlite 60/40
                  Nutrients=canna a+b plus calmag
                  Lighting=2x110w QBs for veg,2x600w hps/digital+dimmable for flowering
                  Ventilation=Small tent 2x4" ac infinity fans and 2x rhino carbon filters Large tent 8"ac infinity fan+filter.
                  Circulation=2x6"oscilating fans in smaller tent, 2x8" oscilating fans and 12" static in large tent
                  Pots=12l fabric
                  Temps with light on 23-24c,lights of 17-18c

Comment

I just increased the nutes on them and the bigger one I just started feeding but my EC was probably too high for this stage. About 0.7... what do you think guys? Thank you!

Comment

Again not familiar with canna nutes but i agree with george, feed lightly from day one. Think of coco as hydro, u have to provide everything the plant needs from day one. Plus coco is a dead, sterile medium so u have to create a balance between your plant and the coir otherwise the coco willl actually deprive your palnt of nutes thus creating the deficiency you have atm.

Let us know if the kids recover but im sure they will.

Comment

Thanks guys, I wish you were my neighbours though! Any chance you're from the UK?? πŸ˜… I shall give them a boost of nutes and love.
                        Thanks again buddies πŸ‘ŠπŸŒ±

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X