Bad condensation in my tent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Bad condensation in my tent!

Guys, I really need some help here! It's my first grow so please, bear with me.
    I'm growing in a grow tent, in a garden shed and right now the temperatures are quite low outside. I have a huge condensation problem in my tent and I can't seem to get rid of it!
    I have a mars hydro ts1000, so there's not much heat there, a 4 inch intake fan on top that turns on and off every 15min, a 6 inch clip desk fan in the middle working 24/7, a heater fan connected to a controller with probe that will turn off at 28°C and on at 26,5°C and a humidifier also connected to a controller with probe that turns off at 70%RH and on at 66%RH.
    Most of the condensation seems to be on top of the tent so, should I get an extract fan on top, working 24/7 to get rid of the air, thus creating more air circulation and consequently extract the extra humidity? What do you recommend? I'm still in the early seedling stage so it's not a big problem yet but I'm starting to panic because I know it will be later on during the grow.
    Please, any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Hi, I'm concerned seeing so much water above the electrics. Once plants grow , humidity will too.
    I have a light of same type , you may want to unscrew the ballast & control on top (only 4 screwheads) & put controls outside of the tent or to the side?
    You have alot of air equipment ; I've never had to use a humidifier before >so thats actually causing humidity at a certain temp? Rather than a de-humidifier that takes the water out of air? Maybe that doesn't need to be used so often at moment?
    Sounds like you have enough fresh air coming in & circulating. Cold from the bottom & rises towards your new exhaust filter.
    Thats what's missing , is inline exhaust fan & carbon filter to pull the smells out, cool, clean the air & I'm sure will help you in the long run.
    I use a black orchid fan with 5" fitment & Rhino carbon filter ducted outside top (cost £60 for both & ducting in a set).
    Hope this helps; I've only done a few grows in past & now getting used to the new equipment.

Comment

• Sylvester
      Sylvester commented
      Editing a comment
      I also advise for electric intake fan to move to the bottom of tent.
      Hopefully someone else will chip in with ideas for you.

The temperature difference it’s what’s causing your condensation when warm air hits cold surface it hits dew point and voila condensation.

Comment

• Wolfe0420
      Wolfe0420 commented
      Editing a comment
      You need proper circulation but fans won’t fix your problem you will need to insulate that shed if it’s not already. Do not need a humidifier maybe a dehumidifier tho

• SoulDwella
      SoulDwella commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the answer. I bet draping 1 or 2 blankets over the top of the tent would help a lot as a quick fix.

Too much humidity, get rid of the humidifier. Easy fix. If it's still too high after that, get a dehumidifier.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      without the humidifer Will be enough

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I thought too

Alright buds, I tried something before I went to bed that seemed to have worked with 98% of success when I checked this morning, I simply put the heat fan two feet higher, on top of a stool and the condensation was gone. And I mean, really gone! My problem now (there's always a problem!), is that if I keep the heater where it is right now, it takes a lot of space and that can only be a temporary sollution... thanks again guys, your help is always priceless 👊

Comment

Get rid of the humidifier, its that easy, why try to run it above 60? Anytime for me when my rh gets high, i turn on my heater to dry the air and it does the trick. I try to stay around 40-60 rh. The other day it shot up to 80, thats when those lil mold gods come out and spread the love. Always take action and see what you can do to make it better! Good luck man

Comment

But if I get rid of the humidifier, the RH never goes above 50%... don't I need more for each stage of the grow? Because I still have seedlings. Wouldn't it be bad for them?

Comment

• dphipps1020
          dphipps1020 commented
          Editing a comment
          No, you obviously have too much humidity as it is. You should never have any condensation build-up in your tent, that's a recipe for mold problems. Mine probably doesn't go over 45%, doubt it ever reaches 50%. My girls have been growing just fine, even seedlings. Only time you want condensation is if you're doing clones, and even then it's only supposed to be in the dome and not the tent. Hope that helps.

Wolfe0420 nailed this one, the environment inside the shed itself is causing your issues. Be best to insulate it as much as possible to keep the environment around the tent stable. You definitely don’t want all that condensation inside the tent with all the electronics.

Are you growing photos or autos? I’m asking this Bc it gets cold where I live too and my heater is T5’s and HPS lights. I only flower photos under LED’s in the winter. If you’re growing autos, the easiest and simplest fix would be to ditch the tent and LED’s for now, purchase a 400 or 600 watt adjustable HPS fixture that you leave on 24x7 and grow in the open through winter. If you’re growing photos I’d do the same thing, you’ll get great colors with the cold periods when the lights are off just don’t let them dip below 60 degrees.
        Last edited by bboyfromwayback; 01-24-2021, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Hey bboy and dphipps, I'm growing photos and tried to get rid of the humidifier but the RH drops to the lower 40's and I don't if it's good since they're still seedlings growing on 70/30 coco perlite which dries very quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'm always opened to sugestions but there's so much different info in terms of RH that I don't really know what's right or wrong. I managed to get rid of the condensation by getting the heat fan 2ft from the floor and got a nice blanket on top of the tent like souldwella suggested so there' not much of a temp difference. My only problem now is for the future, the heater is occupying too much space as it is, but I'll get a fan this month and use it for extraction, and will see how it goes from there, with the heater back on the floor, I guess.

Thanks guys, you're always a great help!👌👊

Comment

• Wolfe0420
            Wolfe0420 commented
            Editing a comment
            No problem. To me in my opinion your RH has nothing to do with your condensation it’s just science because of the temperature diff from outside to inside. The blankets and your heater are working because they are raising the temp on the outside of the tent or the space between your tent and the walls. Glad your able to control it for now best of luck. I still think real Insulation would be more stable.....it’s like vinegar vs phosphoric acid for ph in terms of stability.

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            Wolfe is right, try to keep humidty around 50%, the condensation issue is a separate temperature issue, check the dew point often (it changes daily ) to understand what temps to avoid in surfaces

• Sylvester
            Sylvester commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats cool. What a great community this is. I knew others would know exactly what the problem was.,
            I was confused about the humidifier being used instead of a de-humidifier.
            Perhaps you don't need the exhaust fan & carbon filter after all. I find it helps reduce temperature , humidity & smells.
            Hopefully these changes will keep your tent dryer. Best of luck with your ladies.🙂

Thanks to all of you guys I managed to reach an equilibrium between humidity and heat. Even my other 2 GG#4 have popped out today, which is remarkable, I had even given up on them. They showed no sign of life until yesterday, when things got balanced in the tent so, for that too, thank you. Everyone's very supportive in this forum and like I said before, I'm so glad it exists, it's priceless.

P.S. As appreciation I'll send some buds to each of you when everything's done as a thank you gift so send your addresses 😅 (I'm joking, I would if I could and pls don't write any addresses here!)

Thanks again buds 👌👊🌱

Comment

123 fake street
            Springfield Illinois
            mail to Bart Simpson.

Comment

Congrats on finding the solution and doing do diligence.
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X