• Show
Clear All

Black Gold

Click image for larger version

Name:	worms.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	482518
    They're breeding like rabbits and churning out some serious black gold. Two 30 gallon bins going and I'm thinking of starting a third. I started recycling last season's pots a few weeks ago and everything looks like it will be a go for a March 1st germination schedule. A couple of months off has recharged my batteries and I'm getting excited. I'm drawing up some plans for a retractable awning for the scorching summer heat so I won't have the heat issues I faced last season. I found a local dispensary that is selling Equilibrium Genetics seeds but they don't offer feminized so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Good to see you back in the saddle, sir.
    I wish I could get as excited as you are about holding worms,
    Excited enough to mind spending money on that which your livestock provide to you for free, and they will never notice if you take some of their friends on a fishing trip occasionally
    I seem to be getting more squeamish with age, lol.

Comment

Fantastic!

I used to cultivate red worms for feeding to discus fish. I would put a handful of them in the good ol’ “Slap Chop” and mince them into little bits...fish loved it.
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Hi crucialbunny, I'm a huge composting & living soil fan and I'd to learn more about earthworms (vermiculture?) since the two seem simpatico.

Can you elaborate on your system, or recommend a good starting place for research?

Thanks for bring this subject up!

-Grouchy
        My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
        I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
        Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• crucialbunny
          crucialbunny commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a very simple system but works for me. Here's a video link that is very similar to what I use. Do yourself a favor and skip the newspaper. My worms aren't fond of it and it takes a long time to break down. Leaves and table scraps compost rapidly. I use one bin for high nitrogen scraps for potting and the other for high phosphorous scraps as top dressing and teas during flower. A lesson I learned early on was not to plant into straight worm castings. It becomes very dense and will not drain well. I mix mine about 1/3 castings to a blend of mulch, sand, and perlite, The entire mixture will become a living soil in a matter of days. It's amazing how little care worms need to thrive. I don't know what kind of weather you deal with but mine live outdoors in a spot that sees very little sunlight. High heat will kill them in a day. For extremely hot days I will lay a couple frozen baggies of water on the soil. Good luck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjHxt7kfPWM
          Last edited by crucialbunny; 01-16-2021, 06:00 PM.

• ChadWestport
          ChadWestport commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info

• grouchyoldman
          grouchyoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for a quickstart guidance crucialbunny!

Here in New England we get both extreme heat and cold so I'm thinking the worms will reside in the basement where the temps range between high 50's and 70's annually. Is it too messy an operation to host indoors?

I create big piles of compost for use in the orchard and veggie garden and I'd like to turn the worms loose on my finished compost to really polish it before mixing it as you described. Do worms thrive in "Finished but still Hot" compost?

Finally, do you have a preferred source for worms?

Regards,

-Grouchy

Good to see you an appears your hobby is paying you with Black Gold that sure is the best stuff to mix with soil.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• crucialbunny
          crucialbunny commented
          Editing a comment
          It's good to feel like I'm back in the saddle again. I took a filthy fall on my stairs where broke 2 ribs and ruptured a kidney. Pretty much pain free now and getting my groove back. Can't wait for Spring.

• AccidentalGardener
          AccidentalGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          Duuude. Sorry to hear of your experience with increased gravitational pull. I find that gravity sucks more certain days than others, lol.

• ChadWestport
          ChadWestport commented
          Editing a comment
          dang bunny, I'm thankful you are regaining your health. Scary situation.

worms are cool

Comment

Ouch very sorry to hear about the tumble. I lean against the wall as i'm coming down the stairs in the dark an hold onto the rail. Never thought i'd be feeling " unbalanced" but here i am. Both hubby an me. I've convinced him to sit for at least 60sec before standing after waking up. Sit an take some deep breaths. Very glad that your up an moving crucialbunny. Now stay that way !
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X