Alternative Low Stress Training (LST) - Submitted for your consideration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative Low Stress Training (LST) - Submitted for your consideration

DISCLAIMER: This is an experiment that I chose to conduct. While probably safe, Plumber's Putty comes with a warning, which is included here. While I will not intentionally ingest it, it may be remotely possible, via osmosis, to contaminate my plants. It is a risk I decided to take. If you choose to participate, at least you're aware of the risk.

My current grow has one Mandarin Gelato (MG), which is the base of this effort. It's now at 37 days of veg and will likely be at least 50 days old when I switch.I am waiting for my Golden Tiger X Panama seed to pop and get to 15 days, before I switch to flower. My first MG did well with only topping and a tiny bit of defoliation (30 days of veg). It did grow to the maximum, in my tent. Therefore, I may expect this older plant to grow even taller.

The problem is, dear readers, I'm lazy. I have pipe cleaners littering my grow room. I find the method awkward and tedious, like my personality

So I was looking about for inspiration when my eyes settled on some plumber's putty. I pulled and kneaded a small amount. I then fashioned a wedge, creating grooves where the branches will contact the putty.

I am hoping that this may work out for me. I am also considering using "Great Stuff" foam.

Last but not least - If any of you have tried this or the foam and had bad results, please let me know!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BR2K; 01-23-2021, 11:48 AM.
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Interesting..!
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

No thank you..........i will stick to my twisty ties.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

If I cannot help a grower, I will not hinder them.
        Could this be a result of the pandemic?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by quirk; 01-14-2021, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• BR2K
          BR2K commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely not - I am just a lazy soul...

• TOKABIGONE
          TOKABIGONE commented
          Editing a comment
          This drawing is not an example of perpetual motion...it's improbable motion, lol

Next time try a popsicle stick. easier.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• BR2K
          BR2K commented
          Editing a comment
          Disagree...but the popsicle stick is more stiff, that's a plus.

I used to do the same thing & thought there’s got to be a better way. There is!

Right above where your putty contacts your branch squeeze the branch and gently work the branch in the direction you want it to grow until you see a little crease in the skin of the branch. That crease will form a nice knuckle and make your branch stronger. As you get used to this technique you’ll find out that a little pinch here & a little bend there works better than any tying down of branches in my opinion.

You’ll also notice as you’re practicing this technique wherever you bend the branch (try and do it no lower than the fourth node from the top for good practice) will send energy to the lower nodes. That’s a good way to create branches without topping. You can work the lower parts of bigger branches too but don’t pinch or crease to far down the stalk or it will stunt their growth.

This is what mine look like before I send to the flower room. Again I don’t tie anything down. Just work the branches. It also helps to let it get some growth first then bend it outward.

Comment

• BR2K
          BR2K commented
          Editing a comment
          To be honest, I've been hestant to super cropping. I may in the future. Thanks for your input!

UPDATE: (Day 45, 25, 25, 7) At this point, I am pleased with the progress. The smaller plants are my two (topped) White Widows at 25 days old. My Golden Tiger X Panama had it's 1st week Birfemday today. It's hidden behind the WW on the right.

I have found it necessary to wait until the fresh growth matures enough to retain the weight of the putty. Of course, it's perfectly customizeable...and reuseable.
        A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

I am pleased with my experiment. I intend to manipulate future crops, maximizing their exposure to light...maybe fun shapes too!
          My canopy is relatively even, for a newbie. As my girls get taller I will apply the putty to the new, bendable, growth. Maybe directly opposite of previous bends? We'll see.
          Attached Files

Comment

• JeffInCanada
            JeffInCanada commented
            Editing a comment
            Make a putty compound that is total organic, totally non-toxic. Color it green and market it as grower's putty or something like that. You never know, it could take of eh.
            (or get someone else to do all of this if you are too lazy )

• BR2K
            BR2K commented
            Editing a comment
            JeffInCanada Awesome idea...are you busy?

Interesting take on the subject. I tried something similar using lead fishing weights attached to the ends of the branches with twisty ties. This works well and can be easily removed and relocated as the plant grows. However, I have now developed a new technique. I use those big strong paper clips designed for large stacks of paper. I attach them to the edges of my pots and use plant ties to tie the branch down to the edge of the paper clip. I use fabric pots so this works quite well for me but should work for most any pot with a smooth edge.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Still experimenting with my 18 inches "chop stick" and twisty, so I wanna see your Golden Tiger X Panama during her flowering. Oh did you see that from Ace ? I want some lolll

I want the mountain gold one, a nice structure strain for my SCROG.
            Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
            Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
            Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
            Full auto grow
            Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
            12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• BR2K
              BR2K commented
              Editing a comment
              My GTXP is absolutely gorgeous and almost as tall as her much older sisters. I will likely need to employ plumber's putty, in the next week or so. I am still learning the in and outs of coco-coir and General Hydroponics' nutrient schedule. I do know that it will be my choice for future grows but that goes back to my laziness. I accept the constraints and will work to maximize my results within them.

how lazy are you?

Comment

Originally posted by hazenph View Post
              how lazy are you?
              2lazy2ryt!

Comment

O.K., pride goeth before sloth...
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey i think that putty is a hoot of a idea, if it's not harming the plant grow with it. But if you see fungus under the wrap??? Just don't be tooooooo lazy LOL
                  Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                  indoor/outdoor grower
                  1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                  1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                  I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                  Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                  Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                  Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• BR2K
                    BR2K commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No Ma'am, I promise to be careful. One great aspect, it doesn't adhere to the plant. I also take care not to put it over bud sites.

Sounds like a lot of work to me

I find the maintenance on my plants to be enjoyable, but that doesn't mean I don't try to simplify and refine it.

If your system of growing works for you, then do it.

You say you're lazy, but hey, being lazy could be the mother of invention.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X