Anyone measured CO2 yield from fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone measured CO2 yield from fermentation

Due to my 4x4 being in a cold and dry basement (no I can't condition the basement as a lung room) I've been running my tent sealed to keep in the heat and RH, and just opening it twice a day to talk to the ladies and get some air exchange. I'm thinking about adding a 5 gal carboy with brewers yeast and sugar water to add extra C02 during the flower stage, but I don't know if it will bump up the CO2 enough to be worth it.

I understand CO2 is one of the last things to worry about until everything else is dialed in, but it's such an easy thing to do I'm just curious if anyone has used a CO2 meter and actually measured how effective fermentation is at bumping up the CO2 in a sealed tent? I don't want to waste the time if it's not going to put out enough CO2 and I don't really want to spend another $100-$200 just to see if it helps or not.

i too have my 5x5 in an unheated/uninsulated shop and just asked the same question as you in my flip to flower thread. The consensus was not to worry about it for not that much gain.

I do have an AV Infinity system which pulls in fresh air (from the shop) through one small window every time the rh rises above 51% or the temp above 86F. I have the window curled up like a tube letting air in from both end (not fully opened). It works pretty well even if that’s not how most set them up. Every time I water the rh rises and fan maintains the correct humidity.

Equipment
    5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    1st Grow
    Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
    Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
    Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

• Tumbleweed
      Tumbleweed commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply MrPNW. My humidity has been ridiculously high the last week, since the plants have started taking a full Gal. at a time when I water. I have a carbon filter and exhaust set up but haven't used it until now. When my Inkbird RH controller gets here tomorrow I will start controlling the excess RH with the exhaust fan. So it probably will be a non-issue for me as well.

At this point it just bugs me wondering how many PPM you could get out of a fermenting carboy. I just keep catching myself thinking about it and wondering. LOL

• MrPNW
      MrPNW commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m an all-grain brewer (15 gallon system) and wine maker. My fellow brew buddy and I have had our fermentation room (pump house) filled with MANY 5 gallon fermentation vessels at once and I’ve sat in there for very long times talking too my elixirs without passing out.
      I don’t have a ppm meter so don’t know the level a vessel produces. It would be interesting to know.

Hi Tumbleweed.

CO2 is a tricky bit, and not a good path for the new/hobby grower. Some people think adding CO2 will instantly make everything bigger and better, which it might do...if you are providing everything else the plant needs to make use of it...temp/humidity/nutrients/ and of course, lots of light. But you need to reconcile with yourself if adding it is worth the cost/effort/hassle to gain a couple of % point more in yield. What’s your base yield per plant w/o CO2 addition? How would you tell if adding CO2 was even making a positive affect on your plants?

The best way to view it is, there is already more than plenty enough atmospheric CO2 to grow fantastic bud...why add more? Leave the CO2 stuff to the giant, multi-million $$$ greenhouses. 😉

Cheers
    YYC
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• Tumbleweed
      Tumbleweed commented
      Editing a comment
      That's pretty much my thinking after read more on it. I'll spend my money on another light instead.

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Masterful choice. Spend money where you know it’s needed (and lights is always where its needed)

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X