Cannabis cuttings haven't rooted in almost 2 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Cannabis cuttings haven't rooted in almost 2 weeks

About two weeks ago I topped my photoperiod plants and attempted to make several clones from the cuttings, including 2 terminal cuttings and 4 subterminal cuttings. All of them were cut with a sharp scissor and quickly placed into a rooting solution (basically some micronutrients and an algae extract) for a few minutes, as per official instructions, and then placed into a water-saturated substrate composed of peat moss and perlite. These planted cuttings were then placed inside a large transparent plastic box with some holes in it and sprayed with water to increase humidity. A small LED lamp was placed on top of the box and plugged into an 18-6 hour timer.

Yesterday I carefully dug around some of the cuttings and found that no roots were being formed. Since I also had some basil cuttings successfully rooting in just plain water in a dark glass bottle, I tried switching one of the terminal cuttings from the substrate to a water bottle, but it has since wilted a lot as if it hadn't been watered in days. Perhaps I should've made a new cut to the cutting, as the original one has healed?

The cuttings in the substrate are still alive and actually growing at the nodes, though their leaves are getting ever more papery and shifting to a lighter shade of green, but I'm not sure if I should just wait another week of so or if I should change something. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by azorahai; 01-11-2021, 04:07 PM. Reason: grammar

They look like they're still alive, so you're doing something right. Does your box have vents in it? You have to gradually decrease the humidity to help promote rooting or it will take a little longer. Hope that helps.

Comment

• azorahai
      azorahai commented
      Editing a comment
      It has several holes on the sides and top and I've been gradually decreasing how often they are misted. I've also been leaving the lid ajar for a few days, so the air isn't as humid and the cuttings are [hopefully] encouraged to absorb water from the substrate instead.

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah at this point, if they're fine with the lid off, I would just leave it off. Just make sure the medium has moisture but also dries out a little bit between.

The first image was taken a few days ago, this one was taken today. Notice how much they've grown around the nodes, and also how much has the terminal cutting at the bottom right wilted only 1 day after it was removed from the substrate and placed in plain water.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by azorahai; 01-11-2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

They definitely have roots or they wouldn't show any signs of growth. Give them another week or so and you should see lots of roots and should be able to transplant. Just keep the lid off now and let them do their thing for a little bit.

Comment

• dphipps1020
        dphipps1020 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, the slight yellowing is normal so don't worry too much there. As long as the new growth comes out green you should be fine.

• azorahai
        azorahai commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll keep the lid off and check again in a few days. Regarding the growth, it was already growing from the next day after cutting them, and I'm sure at least the bottom two cuttings (plus the one I moved to the water bottle) were rootless last time I checked.

Those are going just fine now there going to take off real soon. Just keep them warm, moist not soggy soil, little light an you'll have very nice clones soon good job.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X