Leaving petioles when defoliating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving petioles when defoliating

Does anybody leave petioles on plants when defoliating? I’m new to growing cannabis, and slightly less new to bonsai. A lot of recommendations in bonsai say to leave the petioles on when defoliating. The tree then removes nutrients from petioles for the rest of the plant. The petioles then slowly deteriorate and fall off. Same thing should happen in cannabis, right?

Yes the dead matter will decay and can cause root or mold down the road.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

I Do.

I believe most growers trim right down to the stalk, Petiole, Stipule and all.

My defoliation goal is mostly to expose lower bud sites to light, so I snip the fan and leave the stem for any juice it can contribute to the plant. They dry up and get trimmed in turn. It's all about the light really, so once the "Umbrella" is gone who cares about that stem?

In the pic, a "December Moon BU2B PPP" grow, you can see how handy that stubby stem is in LST. Pegging a recalcitrant young manifold branch to the underlying Petiole twig reduces the chance of snapping a main manifold stem during early training.

I been wrong before, but that makes sense to me and that's what I usually do.

Cheers,

-Grouchy

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0504.jpg Views:	0 Size:	857.7 KB ID:	480310
      Last edited by grouchyoldman; 01-08-2021, 04:44 PM.
      My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
      I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
      Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Yes either they get cut off or wilt away on mine.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X