Testing PH: meter or drops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing PH: meter or drops?

I bought a PH test kit (drops) at the pet store in the aquarium sections but now need to buy more or consider getting a meter. Is there any reason the aquarium tester wouldn't do the job? What does the community think about meters vs. drops? I know the meter is more accurate but it's more expensive and seems like a lot of trouble calibrate, clean, store....
    I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
    Blue Mystic (7 gal)
    VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
    Coco Coir w/30% perlite
    Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

I use the drops!. I have a PHstick I bought but never use!. Calibration is a hassle! if you lived here in my town I would give you the store bought meter. I instead got a extra PH drop kit.

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'll probably stick with the drops, too.

It is a freaking trouble. In my opinion This is the most inaccurate area of growing weed. Strips and drop will work just fine but you spend more on the long run and don't have much accuracy. Cheap meters are garbage and expensive ones are so expensive and hard to maintain. If you have the resources then get a fancy one (like blue lab). Get all the proper solutions for storage and calibration. And get some strips to double check whenever in doubt. If you don't have the money for all that (I don't) get a not so expensive one (like HM digital or Hanna) and calibrate them as often as you can.

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      It's one of the most important parts of what we do and, you're right, it is a really hassle. But the expense is what gives me pause on purchasing a meter. Thanks.

I brought a cheap generic PH pen that lasted me for about a year before it went "off slope." Then I brought the cheap Hanna, that lasted less than a year but they're sending me a replacement electrode at least. I found I had to re-calibrate every few months. This is all with proper use, proper solution etc. Pens aren't very reliable in my experience, at least not the cheaper ones. They're also a bit of a hassle. I will say that my mains water PH is pretty consistent so I can guesstimate pretty well. I know around how much Ph down a gallon of my water with nutes needs. When the replacement electrode goes for my cheap Hanna, I'll probably try strips ... haven't tried them yet but they seem the easiest.
    Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

I am Blue Lab all the way. 9fingerleafs..with him too. Have to have the solutions and keep the pen hydrated per instructions. It will require calibration on a regular basis..not hard to do. Follow instructions. Totally gung-ho for BlueLab..saves a lot of time. Haven't had a pH problem with it yet! And I used the GH drops which I consider unreliable.
      Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
      Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
      GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
      photoperiod feminized seeds
      http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
      http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
      http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

What's ph??

Jk

Comment

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I did not 'catch the drift', sometimes I am fairly dense. But ,you are welcome. I think,......what was the question again? (lol)

• Dagmar
          Dagmar commented
          Editing a comment
          I just learned something. I didn't know what PH stood for - only that it was important in what we do here. Cool! Thanks.

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          and you're welcome also, Dagmar. It's one of the few things that I remember from Chem 101, except for the things that go BANG, but that's for a whole nuther forum!

Originally posted by Lotusyde View Post
        What's ph??

Jk
        I bet Green will let us know as I sometimes wonder myself.

Comment

I use ph paper, works great and it's cheap. Ph being a range if the paper tells me it's about 6.3 or 6.5 I'm good with that.
          x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

• Dagmar
            Dagmar commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not familiar with ph paper. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Make your OWN pH Indicator from Red Cabbage!

Comment

• Dagmar
            Dagmar commented
            Editing a comment
            Too Funny! And if it's not a joke, then, dontknownuttin, you've got waaaaay too much time on your hands!

Homemade ph indicator strips

Comment

• Dagmar
            Dagmar commented
            Editing a comment
            Way, way too much time.

Comment

• Dagmar
            Dagmar commented
            Editing a comment
            Way, way, way too much time. I want to be you!

When you get down to it I like the pen not a big deal to cal.easy to use,I had to get some calibration juice 7.0 to test now and than other than that no biggie.lol

Comment

Im lazy. I just use the GH drops. Calibration?

Comment

• Dagmar
              Dagmar commented
              Editing a comment
              Nobody but dontknownuttin!

Originally posted by Dagmar View Post
            I'm not familiar with ph paper. I'll look into that. Thanks.
            Here ya go! Might not go low enough for hydro though...

Micro Essential Labs pHydrion Urine and Saliva ph test paper , 15 ft roll with dispenser and chart, ph range 5.5-8.0 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001SR4NM..._V2PIybYDCKVZE
            x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              That's actually pretty great. Just to make sure the pen doesn't lie to you

• Dagmar
              Dagmar commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess PH is PH, whether it's in water, pee, and spit. Thanks

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              I use drops but worry about accuracy as some of my nutrients will tint the water. Paper looks interesting. Now you got me thinking about test strips I use for hot tub... 😉

oh my god. you guys. i was just sitting here reading along, killin my first 5 seeds n'ish, and started to wonder....what if my pH meter is off? i calibrated my meter when i first got it--12/15ish--and then again right before i did first germination, which was new year's....do i need to calibrate again? sheeeeet, i'm germinatin' replacement seeds as we speak.... y'all done put the fear in me...LOL
            "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

• DW2
              DW2 commented
              Editing a comment
              I just stepped into the 21st century, I ordered a pH pen and some calibration solution. I have been (and will keep some on hand) litmus two panel test strips, but they are getting so expensive that a pen, at $30 or less, is cost completive.
              From what research I did before I bought one, is that you calibrate the pen only when (with a clean tip / electrode) checked in a standard pH solution, it reads off. The solutions come in 4.01 and 7.0 levels. The pen I ordered called for the 7.0 solution for storage and calibrating.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X