Fixing calcium lockout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Fixing calcium lockout

Hey guys, have a couple gorilla glue auto's growing in half ocean forest, half promix and every since they started flowering i can't seem to keep enough calcium in them. I started half strength advanced nutrients after the nutrients from the ocean forest were starting to be depleted. When i was only relying to the ocean forest to feed them i used ph'd ro water and had great success with that, but once i started with the advanced i stopped ph adjusting like they recommend and that is when the deficiencies started. According to the people at AN their stuff is designed to still let the nutrients absorb even if the ph is not in the target range. I know my ro water with the nutrients are too low ph wise to really get good calcium uptake. Around 5.8. Should i go ahead and flush them with higher ph water and start ph adjusting the nutrient mix? I did a real good flush on both of them and even started folliar feeding when it started getting bad early on, and folliar feeding and that helped greatly, but don't want to be soaking them down now with buds on them and risk mold. My feeding schedule is 1/2 grow, micro, bloom, and big bud and full strength cal mag every other watering, and when i only water i go on the higher end close to high 6's to try and equalize out the low ph of the feed solution. For what ever reason every time i grow with this mix of soil i get calcium deficiencies going into flowering but last time was able to keep them mostly healthy until harvest by flushing with higher ph water every few weeks. With these it hits so fast that the leaves are taking some pretty heavy damage. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Whats the PH? Most of these issues with lockout are from PH. EDIT, OK I found the PH in there, I look for 6.3 to 6.7 to water or feed with./Edit
    At the top of this page there is a link to "plant problems" follow it, look up what your leaves look like and read.
    Last edited by Rwise; 01-05-2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• bryanwheat
      bryanwheat commented
      Editing a comment
      When i talked to a rep from advanced nutrients they told me specifically not to adjust ph or really even worry about it because their lineup will take care of the rest, the ole perfect ph isn't so perfect. But it is roughly 5.8 going in with feed mixture and 6.8 for watering and right at 6.0 coming out the bottom as runoff. I am well aware of how ph effects nutrient uptake and in the past when using fox farm always adjusted properly. I was following the directions from advanced with this round and not adjusting as they make it seem like it will mess everything up if you adjust the ph with their stuff. Basically just trying to figure out if others have had similar problems and have had to actually ph their nutrient mix going in. About everyone i know just mixes it up and never check's ph and has great luck with the stuff.

Comment

• bryanwheat
      bryanwheat commented
      Editing a comment
      Some leaves like this one kind of look like phosphorus deficiency i guess, and some look like calcium.

This chart shows optimum ph ranges for specific nutrients. I would adjust the Ph and give it a whirl, not gonna hurt em any.
    2X4X6 Quictent
    1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
    600w LED (80)
    1000w LED (180)
    2 X Viparspectra P-1000
    2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
    6" battery/usb fans
    Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
    GH trio with Calimagic
    Lung room humidifier
    3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
    ArmorSi, kelp when needed
    Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
    Northern Lights auto
    (Seedsman)
    auto 00 Kush
    (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
    2x Northern lights auto
    1 auto 00 Kush
    1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
    Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

Hey i would trust my gut and fix it. You know what your doing an in person you see how your plants are reacting don't let that salesman tell you different. They are just giving you a how to pitch, does not work for every strain and grow right?
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• bryanwheat
        bryanwheat commented
        Editing a comment
        That was pretty much my thoughts, might look good on paper but doesn't translate to real world results. Flushed em real good with some 6.8 ph'd water and getting ready to reintroduce the nutrients, but ph it to upper 6's to get some good uptake of both calcium and phosphorus. Might add a dose of beastie bloomz since it is very phosphorus heavy. Been waiting on the an overdrive in the mail for about 2 weeks now, the base nutrients and big bud really don't have a whole lot of p in them at all.

Advance nutrient ph perfect line up only works if you're using R/O water otherwise it needs to be adjusted.
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• bryanwheat
        bryanwheat commented
        Editing a comment
        Ro water, check. my ro water is 5.8 out of the tap.

I stopped reading as soon as you said you stopped checking ph and that’s when the problems began. Duh moment

Comment

• bryanwheat
        bryanwheat commented
        Editing a comment
        When the person that you talk to from the company that sells the nutrients you are using tells you that you don't want to adjust the ph one tends to believe them, especially when they put that ole guarantee on the bottle. Stopped checking ph as in when i started using the advanced nutrients i followed their directions and was under the impression that it would adjust the ph slowly like they say, and to not adjust or else it would make the ph perfect bs not work properly. There is nothing perfect about it in soil or hydro. It doesn't stay where it needs to be for either. Why check it if they tell you that as long as your water is like 4-9 of what ever crap they push that their stuff does the rest. Ph and nutrient absorption is like grow weed 101 so don't assume that everyone just doesn't know these things. Some people spend money on stuff and trust that it is gonna work and trust the random idiot on the phone as well.

I thought i had this under control by upping the ph and adding some bloom booster with higher phosphorus, but after the last normal feeding yesterday i am loosing even more leaves. Little to no damage on the bottom 2/3 of the plant, only the top is really experiencing any leaf damage like this. I am about out of idea's on what's going on with this thing. The other one is about 2 weeks behind in flowering, but hasn't experienced any of the same problems as this one has and it is the same strain, same nutrients at the same amount and ph, basically everything done exactly the same between the 2 and one is destroying itself and the other is growing strong. I've considered just stepping up to full strength feeding, but at the same time unsure if i am somehow overfeeding.

Comment

That plant has some defiencies. Most would be guessing at what actual deficiency the plant is experiencing, myself included. But overall color tends to having me think the plant is overall hungry. The leaves are already damaged. I don’t believe they will recover much. But those buds can still be fed and grown. I would continue with a regular feeding pattern with a stable ph range. And it should recover some. That’s my two cents but I am by no means a expert at this either. I still get a plant here or there that just does weird shit and I get weird results.
        4x4 flower tent
        sour dream
        Blue Diesel
        Trainwreck
        platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
        Green Dream
        Sour Dream
        blue dream
        Freakshow

Comment

• bryanwheat
          bryanwheat commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been using the base schedule for advanced nutrients with calmag added and everything half strength since they are auto's, but overall not super satisfied with their nutrients compared to my last round with fox farm. I have been going between thinking calcium or phosphorus deficiencies but i am leaning towards a buildup of salts in the soil now, it is half ocean forest and half promix and have been feeding and watering at 6.6ph. After i started adjusting the advanced nutrients up they both started doing better then when i was just mixing and feeding like the AN people told me, but this one seems like the more feedings it gets it get's worse as far as that defficiency the last few days. I am currently running some of the foxfarm sledgehammer thru them to flush out the advanced nutrients and going to start feeding foxfarm at full strength and see what happens i guess. The fox farm stuff for me anyway has seemed to be more consistent for sure. The first water that came out when adding the sledgehammer mixture was only about 400ppm which is about all i get with runoff during normal feedings as well, which seems very low even though the bottom 2/3 of leaves are real nice color with just a smidge of tip burn like one would expect for this stage in the plants life.

Follow the link at the top if this page "Plat Problems" look up the issues then follow the "Read More" link and well read more.
        IF the PH in the soil is between 6.3 and 6.7 then you need to add things, if it is higher or lower then the PH needs to be adjusted.

Comment

• bryanwheat
          bryanwheat commented
          Editing a comment
          That is where i have been getting all of my information for my last few grows when i have problems and how i had came to the conclusion of calcium or phosphorus. I do read up on things and at least try to fix them before asking people for their opinions. I am at the point of, what is found in the plant problem section led me to 2 possible things, but there is something else going on situation.

I think part of the problem with this grow is that the promix is keeping the ph on the low side in the soil no matter what is oh is added is still comes out at 5.8 to 6.0 out the bottom runoff wise. My last grow i mixed the top third of the bucket with half promix and half ocean forest, but the bottom 2/3 was just ocean forest. Didn't have any feeding problems with them other then a little bit of a calcium defficiency at the beginning of flowering which was fixed easily. This is half and half for the whole container. I just did a little reading from some old post's and found a few different claims about the 2 mixed together having issues with nutrients and ph.

Comment

Have had to keep the calmag a little strong but have made it to about a week out from harvest with real good results, currently flushing and waiting for the other half of the trichomes to get cloudy.

Comment

Nice recovery!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X