No announcement yet.

Light leaks and photoperiods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like most people have experienced very little hermie issues considering how some people freak out over the little red switch on the power bar has a glowing light.
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

haha, so true. And even though I know better, I still cover that light

Comment

My cats climb up my tent one day and left holes in it, no hermies and still my plants flower, no problems and I have another grow in veg next to my tent, never hurt my grows

Comment

I was just about to ask about equipment power switches and LED screens. I have two heaters, a surge/timer protector, 2 Inkbird controllers and my av infinity screens. How big a deal are the red lights and low white screens? I was going to use some black fingernail polish (not mine) to paint the switches, but I use my 3 control screens to watch humidity/temp readings through the plastic tent windows without opening the tent.

Equipment
          5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
          ———————————————————————————————————-
          1st Grow
          Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
          Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
          Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

• YYCannabis
            YYCannabis commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it means display screens that show the data.

• echdk3
            echdk3 commented
            Editing a comment
            I gotcha, thanks!

• MrPNW
            MrPNW commented
            Editing a comment
            Correct I posted a photo below. My first grow so I’m probably inventing new terms that won’t catch on.

Originally posted by MrPNW View Post
          I was just about to ask about equipment power switches and LED screens. I have two heaters, a surge/timer protector, 2 Inkbird controllers and my av infinity screens. How big a deal are the red lights and low white screens? I was going to use some black fingernail polish (not mine) to paint the switches, but I use my 3 control screens to watch humidity/temp readings through the plastic tent windows without opening the tent.
          If you can mount the screens outside of the tent, I would do that.

Comment

Yeah not a fun chore now that our temps have dropped in to the mid 20s this week. Even in my unheated, uninsulated shop where my tent is it’s about 35-40.
            My main Inkbird heat controller is set to 77 for the 750w oil-filled radiator, my secondary Inkbird heat controller is set to 70 and runs a 1500w milkhouse heater. The av infinity keeps the humidity under 58. Making humidity is not an issue in the northwest, the air is full of it.
            Originally the radiator was maintaining a 75 degree average with fluctuations between 68-78. Then mid Oct temps plummeted fast and once i hooked up the secondary heater the temp doesn’t drop below 69 again.
            I went with the radiator because it doesn’t dry out the air so fast, its a more even heat throughout the tent. The milkhouse on the other hand is a quick boost of heat needed when it drops below 70.
            i guess I’ll have to put a sock over them and rely in my Govee sensor’s bluetooth readings.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	FC82D629-881B-40E4-8655-FD8B0A8F5CD2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	476590

Equipment
            1st Grow
            Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

Electrical tape works really well. I like that you use zip ties for cords to keep them up. Little thing but goes a long way for keeping a proper room.

Comment

• dphipps1020
                dphipps1020 commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree. I use them as well and it makes things look so much cleaner.

• MrPNW
                MrPNW commented
                Editing a comment
                My OCD. I sometimes wonder if that “problem” was termed by messy people to make them feel better. I hear it all the time when I try to be overly neat.

i can you that the light leak in your pictures has no affect on photo plants. In fact, your pictures are from the outside of your tent with your grow light on. grow lights powerful. with your tent closed and the grow off, your typical household light, will not penetrate the zipper gaps.

Comment

Last year I had 2 bag seed plants that were raised and flipped in a tent then kicked out of the tent due to space limits. I put them in a garden cart and wheeled them into the garage in the evening after they had their 12. There were windows in the garage that leaked significant light. No hermies from those plants. Did have some minor hermie in the tent though. Go figure. I just treat them like a well fed weed and not worry about it. Now I have 8 seeds for next year.
                Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I actually put these up in the room block the tent area of the room from the light from the window in the bedroom also bought Blacked out curtains to put up easy to open and close i got the blacked out curtains from Giant Tiger for $7 Cad Each.

Even tho my tent has no issues with light i still put them up and have worked good

Attached Files

Comment

I was around a lot of pot and those growing it in So CA, late 70s, graduating in 77. I honestly can’t recall the term hermies or the equivalent. But then my memory isn’t what it used to be. It wasn’t until now when I started to setup my first grow that I’ve heard it countless times. Some of the old timers I’ve talked to said its in the genetics and if you have good stock, not known to have that happen, you probably couldn’t make it happen.
                    Looking on the SeedFinder database the quantity of strains is mind blowing. I could probably count all the strains we smoked back then on my fingers and maybe toes. So much competition now to make super weed, wether rec or med.

Equipment
                    1st Grow

Comment

My guess is multiple specific environmental and genetic discrepancies that cause hermies. Temp swings and specific light frequencies are my thoughts on this. Either way, shit happens and the only good seeds are the wanted ones. Weird in = weirder out lol
                      4x8x8 indoor
                      Viparspectra VA1200
                      (2) GE 4' Flowering LED bars FF trio/Tiger Bloom/Happy Frog soil
                      Intake fan/exhaust w 4" scrubber
                      Alot of empty pickle jars and Led Zepp on repeat...

Peace, Love & Happy Harvesting

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X